Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 106

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    215

    Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121206/177959555.html

    Under International Skating Union rules, Russia will be allowed one men's singles skater at Sochi 2014, but the country's skating federation has asked to be granted a second spot as the host nation, for which there is no precedent.

  2. #2
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,091
    Calling in their favors for hosting 2011 Worlds.

  3. #3
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    meh, if it puts butts in the seats, I say let 'em.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,529
    Fascinating but they know that actually qualifying for two is very very questionable. Not impossible but I wouldn't bet any money. Being granted two I think is far fetched but could rationalize such a thing based on the team event.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    422
    I hope ISU accepts Russia's request.

    And, I hope ISU will give 1 men's spots and 1 dance spot to Korea in 2018, no matter Worlds outcome.
    Last edited by cosmos; 12-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,155
    Hmmm... I don't know what to think, to be honest.

    However, I presume this would set some kind of precedent for all host countries?

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    I hope ISU accepts Russia's request.

    And, I hope ISU will give 1 men's spots and 1 dance spot to Korea in 2018, no matter Worlds outcome.
    I think south Korea is entitled to them anyway. All events are open to at least one entry from south Korea. Russia wants one spot that comes from having one spot at worlds 2013 and another from being host. They say one spot only is actually wrong. They are so not confident in earning two spots in London .

  8. #8
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,889
    I don't like this!!!

  9. #9
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think south Korea is entitled to them anyway. All events are open to at least one entry from south Korea. Russia wants one spot that comes from having one spot at worlds 2013 and another from being host. They say one spot only is actually wrong. They are so not confident in earning two spots in London .
    Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

    I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
    Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

    Lucky for Russians this rule doesn't apply to them.

  10. #10
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

    I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
    Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

    Lucky for Russians this rule doesn't apply to them.
    hehe...funny thing is... some are still convinced that the South Korean Fed is influential.

  11. #11
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I think south Korea is entitled to them anyway. All events are open to at least one entry from south Korea. Russia wants one spot that comes from having one spot at worlds 2013 and another from being host. They say one spot only is actually wrong. They are so not confident in earning two spots in London .
    because I don't think Zhenya will go to Worlds
    so that leaves Gachinski, Voronov and Menshov

    Gachinski and Voronov are long shots for a Top 10
    even if Menshov skated lights out, he may barely crack the Top 10
    giving 2 spots will give Plushy less of a burden competing individually and in Team
    this is what I think they asked for 2 spots

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    382
    What???? NO!!!!

  13. #13
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Thats odd, if they send a skater to Worlds and he doesnt place in top 10 to get two spots, what do they hope for by Sochi time and they want two spots?

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

    I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
    Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

    Lucky for Russians this rule doesn't apply to them.
    I had no idea that 2018 meant no automatic entries for south Korea. I oppose that!!

    Russia is lucky because if they have a disaster at worlds maybe a Russian male wouldn't even get out of the sp!! Then they would have to wait until maybe a qualifying event in the fall of 2013 if they are still going to have that in the isu rules. And that really means only one entry.

    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    because I don't think Zhenya will go to Worlds
    so that leaves Gachinski, Voronov and Menshov

    Gachinski and Voronov are long shots for a Top 10
    even if Menshov skated lights out, he may barely crack the Top 10
    giving 2 spots will give Plushy less of a burden competing individually and in Team
    this is what I think they asked for 2 spots
    I agree! I almost feel nervous now for any Russian male that isn't plushenko in London 2013! Maybe this question is just to reduce some pressure. But it's so much pressure. If it's gachinski or menshov or kovtun or voronov it's just them and that's it. One spot or two spots or no qualified spots if they don't get out of the sp!!

  15. #15
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

    I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
    Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

    Lucky for Russians this rule doesn't apply to them.

    Very unfortunate for the South Korean FS Federation, but before you get worked up about it; does the Korean Skating Union even have internationally-competing pairs' and ice dance teams? (This is a different case for Russia because we all know they have eligible ice dancing and pairs' teams.)

    Anyway, I hope by 2018, SK will have eligible pairs/teams so the decision will be overturned. I'd quite like to know what Proposal 177 of the 2012 Congress Agenda was. Hm.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-07-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •