Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The younger men would to have proven that they were actually better than Plushenko in a competition first. So either Russian nationals or Euros 2014. He's not giving a lot of opportunities for other Russian men to beat him and it is totally unlikely anyone could beat him. Not just on PCS but also TES in a lot of cases. Any younger Russian male entry might have practice in Sochi in prep for 2018 but they can't think that! 2014-2018 just too many things can happen.
    Plushenko is and will always be the model for Russian Men's FS
    which I think is one of the reasons why they are stagnant and are not able to make a new good crop for a decade now because they are molding the skaters as
    a Plushenko 2.0, hopefully some of the new kids will carve their own by 2018, its the only way to break the dependence on Zhenya

Custom Title
    Also, doesn't a move like this cast suspicion on everything else? As in, if they're willing to ask for something unearned, what else will they do to get a chance?

I don't agree with the russian federation request. I hope that exception isn't granted. On what fundament would the second spot be given to Russia? That's unfair to other nations and athletes.
    Last edited by mikiandorocks; 12-08-2012 at 08:04 AM.

This is really unfair. While it sucks that Plushenko (as Russia's possible one entry) might be taking away a spot from one of the up and coming Russian guys, or even Menshov (who has not competed at an Olympics yet), to ask for the rules to be changed for them and not other countries is ridiculous. It sets a bad precedent. If the ISU says yes then host nations in other future years, such as 2018, will expect the same treatment.

Custom Title
    This request is on the premise that Plushenko doesn't want to compete at 2013 worlds. Probably many federations can accept that for their own sakes.

Medalist
    I think it's a ridiculous request and if it isn't denied will really disappoint me, I´m already so jaded with things I've seen behind the scenes that I think this is the sort of thing that might push me off the sport altogether. It's all about Pluschenko. It's the Olympics, they don't need Pluschenko to sell out that arena, what they do need is to hedge their bets and have a back up male (singles and team event). To have the balls to ask for this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, especially as this has become news instead of being laughed at and dismissed immediately which is cause for concern imo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I think it's a ridiculous request and if it isn't denied will really disappoint me, I´m already so jaded with things I've seen behind the scenes that I think this is the sort of thing that might push me off the sport altogether. It's all about Pluschenko. It's the Olympics, they don't need Pluschenko to sell out that arena, what they do need is to hedge their bets and have a back up male (singles and team event). To have the balls to ask for this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, especially as this has become news instead of being laughed at and dismissed immediately which is cause for concern imo.
    There is probably no hope to have a back up man ready this season to be able to get 2 spots at Worlds, so if they can get 2 spots automatically, no need to risk Plushenko to go to the Worlds. But let us face it, even if this request is denied and at the end of the season they could only have one spot, Plushenko is the one who will take the spot. If he is healthy, no one in Russia at the moment can beat him.

Yes it seems all about Plushenko but actually all about Russia. Yes they do not need Plushenko to sell the ticket but they need him to make Russian single men standing. And make the team gold more realistic. So it is really in Russia's interest to ask for it. Let them ask, I do not think ISU will grant it. And if they grant it, so what, other federations can ask the same or other things. In the Worlds, people do not need "face", they want result!

Wait, I didn't read this news anywhere only in this article of Rianovosti... I'm waiting for the official announcement from the Rus Fed or the ISU.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Wait, I didn't read this news anywhere only in this article of Rianovosti... I'm waiting for the official announcement from the Rus Fed or the ISU.
    You are away of me. I wanted to say the same thing. I couldn't find anything in Russian press regarding this news. En.rian said "the country's skating federation has asked." But there is no announcement from officials either. None whatsoever. I wonder where this Pesnya-guy got this info from, if it's indeed true and not a "duck". But I think they are kind of late with that. R-fans, including those on the biggest sport portal with 500,000 users, where half-mil is not a typo, laughed off yesterday's scores for Chan, saying that Zhenya shouldn't get invloved in this **** because current ISU events are simply plain corrupted. They are right somewhere.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121206/177959555.html

Under International Skating Union rules, Russia will be allowed one men's singles skater at Sochi 2014, but the country's skating federation has asked to be granted a second spot as the host nation, for which there is no precedent.
    I want to know who is the journalist. For now I couldn't find its Russian source.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    You are away of me. I wanted to say the same thing. I couldn't find anything in Russian press regarding this news. En.rian said "the country's skating federation has asked." But there is no announcement from officials either. None whatsoever. I wonder where this Pesnya-guy got this info from, if it's indeed true and not a "duck". But I think they are kind of late with that. R-fans, including those on the biggest sport portal with 500,000 users, where half-mil is not a typo, laughed off yesterday's scores for Chan, saying that Zhenya shouldn't get invloved in this **** because current ISU events are simply plain corrupted. They are right somewhere.
    What has Chan to do with this?
    You talk of Chanflation I see you have Chanphobia!

^^I am convinced Chan murdered someone''s dogs and cats to earn her undying attention and obsession.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    What has Chan to do with this?
    Maybe you should ask those who think that after seeing how judging regarding Chan in the current Men field works Zhenya shouldn't get involve in corrupted ISU events.

se-he. I see some Chan ubers got boiled up of the whole idea of Sochi without Plu. Bye-bye the dream "beat that tall blond Russian in his land!". Fair or not is irrelevant. Probably that's why Canadian press is so malicious towards Plu- the dude ignored fake London! Such an ad cash cow and didn't come. Please don't tell me the story about DiManno-witch. Why biggest newspapers in Japan or Russia don't employ such staff I wonder.

Custom Title
    Maybe you should ask those who think that after seeing how judging regarding Chan in the current Men field works Zhenya shouldn't get involve in corrupted ISU events.
    You havent answered my question your answer skirts the issue.

So you re admitting Chanphobia?

I am far from 'boiled up' as you so inelegantly put it - just mildly amused......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    You havent answered my question your answer skirts the issue.

So you re admitting Chanphobia?

I am far from 'boiled up' as you so inelegantly put it - just mildly amused......
    Is it your idea of "being amused"? I am scrared to think what I should expect when you are "boiled up". You are seriously asking me what Chan has to do with judging system and currupted ISU events. My turn to be amused.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast