Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

Custom Title
    Is
    it your idea of "being amused"? I am scrared to think what I should expect when you are "boiled up". You are seriously asking me what Chan has to do with judging system and currupted ISU events. .
    No I wasnt - I was asking you what Chan had to do with Russia getting a second spot - I thought that was the topic of conversation.

Am glad you are finally amused . Banish Fallstaff and banish all the world.... laughter is good for the system.

What does Chan have to do with this. I can't believe Russia had the nerve to even suggest this!

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    Hmmm personally I don't think this request is fair. However, I do believe that Plushenko is the only Russian man who can get the job done and secure 2 spots for Sochi.

Though it kind of raises the question as to why Plushenko would choose to compete at Euros and not at Worlds? He would definitely make Top 10 at Worlds, though with Chan, Fernandez, (Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda -- whoever Japan decides to send to Worlds) competing, maybe he is worried about his placement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Hmmm personally I don't think this request is fair. However, I do believe that Plushenko is the only Russian man who can get the job done and secure 2 spots for Sochi.

Though it kind of raises the question as to why Plushenko would choose to compete at Euros and not at Worlds? He would definitely make Top 10 at Worlds, though with Chan, Fernandez, (Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda -- whoever Japan decides to send to Worlds) competing, maybe he is worried about his placement.
    That's easy, because apart from Fernandez sometimes, no one else in Europe is skating well ATM. Plushenko should be able to win gold fairly easily, or silver at the lowest if Fernandez skates a blinder. The guys who are usually contenders in Europe like Joubert,, Amodio, Brezina, Gatchinski, Verner have all been skating pretty terribly so far this season. Voronov and Menshov have been okay, but PCS are not even close to Plushenko, and only 2 other guys from Russia can go to Euros anyways among the 4 (besides Plush) being in the running.

Worlds he could very well not win. He's 30, idk if he could do 2 or 3 quads anymore. And Chan, Dai, Hanyu PCS are huge, Kozuka and Fernandez PCS can be pretty huge if they skate well. There's a good chance Plush could be OTP, or at least not win, at Worlds, but at Euros, he'd finish 2nd at lowest almost for sure and has a great shot at 1st.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    What has Chan to do with this?
    You talk of Chanflation I see you have Chanphobia!
    Right on!

Isn't this thread all about Russians asking for a favor from ISU for the Sochi game? Why did Chan's name appear here? A desperate effort to try to change the focus of the thread, or this "Chanphobia"?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-09-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.
    I don't think it's fair to countries that don't have the infrastructure to host.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    That's easy, because apart from Fernandez sometimes, no one else in Europe is skating well ATM. Plushenko should be able to win gold fairly easily, or silver at the lowest if Fernandez skates a blinder. The guys who are usually contenders in Europe like Joubert,, Amodio, Brezina, Gatchinski, Verner have all been skating pretty terribly so far this season. Voronov and Menshov have been okay, but PCS are not even close to Plushenko, and only 2 other guys from Russia can go to Euros anyways among the 4 (besides Plush) being in the running.

Worlds he could very well not win. He's 30, idk if he could do 2 or 3 quads anymore. And Chan, Dai, Hanyu PCS are huge, Kozuka and Fernandez PCS can be pretty huge if they skate well. There's a good chance Plush could be OTP, or at least not win, at Worlds, but at Euros, he'd finish 2nd at lowest almost for sure and has a great shot at 1st.
    Except if this were true, he would not have gone to Euros last year, now, would he? Have you any idea what conditon he was in then? He said himself, that when he elected to do no quad in the short, due to the excruciating pain, he thought he would end up 5th or something. Whatever Plushenko might or might not be - a coward is definitely not one of them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Except if this were true, he would not have gone to Euros last year, now, would he? Have you any idea what conditon he was in then? He said himself, that when he elected to do no quad in the short, due to the excruciating pain, he thought he would end up 5th or something. Whatever Plushenko might or might not be - a coward is definitely not one of them.
    I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.

Custom Title
    I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.
    All right, it seems I misunderstood. I was a bit fearful after I hit send that I had got a bit - er - carried away. (I generally am more careful before I comment... ) My apologies for my mistake - and thanks for the explanation!

Custom Title
    I agree. If Plushenko wins Europeans again which is highly possible, that'll be the fear that people carry untill meeting him again on the Olympic ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I don't think it's fair to countries that don't have the infrastructure to host.
    That's a really good point. Also, thinking about it, this isn't like football - where host contry/ies (if it's joint hosting like this year's Euros) always are automatically qualified (for the rest it's basically a two-year-qualification process) - where the whole point of the event is, obviously, that specific sport. This is the Olympics, and it's doubtful just how high FS is on the agenda of any potential host country.

Banned
    Crazy. Insane. Mad.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.
    Except for Kovtun who just won Juniors, and Arthur- if he comes backto his usual self-, I dont see anyone else been taken away the Olympic spot in first place. Besides Arthur and Voronov were the ones who messed up at Nice and Russia ended up with one spot. Now they can very well go to London and take the second spot back. As Mishin said, its up to the guy who wants to go badly to Olympics to get that second spot to give himself a chance.

Custom Title
    My feeling is that if Russia wants to look good, they should just make sure that the Olympic ice is hard and smooth. From what I can tell, they did not achieve that for GPF this weekend. I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?

My apologies to the people of Russia if I'm wrong.

Perhaps a precedent can be set to allow host Olympic countries two spots for every event in figure skating? It is then fair to apply this rule to S. Korea too in 2018.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast