Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.
    very good analysis, I believe this is what Mishin and Zhenya have in mind too

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I'm not saying he's a coward, but he needs to be careful with his body. And I think the fear tactic of scaring the others will be more effective if he goes into the Olympics having dominated Euros rather than having competed at Worlds and possibly not winning, and if the others are intimidated by him, it could affect the skating and thus the outcome. I don't see it as a cowardly move but rather a strategic one, he doesn't have to extend his body as much this way, the stakes are lower, and it keeps the element of mystery up in addition to fear.
    First of all, I would like to see the official announcement of ISU or Rus Fed. This news isn't sure.

You are right. The three medalists of GPF were asked about Plushy's participation on Sochi Games. Sorry this on Russian language, but the goole translater can help us.

http://www.itar-tasskuban.ru/news/ar...tar-tass_kuban

I think too, it will be strategic decision, if Plushy won't go the Wolrds.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 12-09-2012 at 05:22 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?
    Yes but we have seen competitions -splatfests before. And it was not all the events as bad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    My feeling is that if Russia wants to look good, they should just make sure that the Olympic ice is hard and smooth. From what I can tell, they did not achieve that for GPF this weekend. I can't believe there were so many falls. Both men's and ladies'. There's got to be something wrong with the ice. Can all those skaters, twelve of the world's best, have had panic attacks on the same weekend?

My apologies to the people of Russia if I'm wrong.
    I recall reading somewhere that the Japanese skaters complained that the ice was too 'soft', or it was too thin at the rink ends. Not sure if it was a one-off thing though, seeing how the men pretty much killed it in the free.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Is

No I wasnt - I was asking you what Chan had to do with Russia getting a second spot - I thought that was the topic of conversation.

Am glad you are finally amused . Banish Fallstaff and banish all the world.... laughter is good for the system.
    I always thought it's "Falstaff". Never mind. I know for sure that native English-speakers are the worst English teachers. Almost all of them are monolingual which make them be rather limited in comprehending texts written by EFL speakers. Or you might be a non-native too, so it could have explained the glitch in understanding. If. No matter how many times I reread my post, I couldn't find any reason why you failed to comprehend why Chan was brought up. I'll try again in simple language. The topic is the second spot for Russia in Sochi, which is for the sake of Plu, i.e. he won't need to skate in both Team and Men events if there is another guy in the team. Needless to say that it's all about his comeback and getting one more OM, preferably OGM. Once his second OGM was stolen in Vancouver causing him serious upset, as well as the greatest damage to this sport after SLC. The reason of that was unfair judging. Watching how judging regarding Chan is working now, and the last two seasons, people, myslef including, have all the reasons possible to believe that corrupted judging might take the place in Sochi too to give the OGM to the "right" guy. So, the royalty Plu shouldn't even bother to attend such an event. Hope now it helps. And, dear, keep in my mind that getting the answer from the poster on forum is not the right, it's a privilege. I don't care. I am always at your service. There are those who are not. You are not withing your rights to demand the answer with all your !! or ?? marks. But I am happy that you once again demonstrated bad manners.

This thread was started by the same poster who started "Mishin slams judges" thread or somesuch, clearly for the purpose of bashing Plu team. He/she starts the thread, them post no comments nonewhatsoever, knowing very well that there are always those frustrated ones who will play his/her game. "Russophobia!" or better "Pluphobia!" I would shout if I could . There is still no announcement absolutely in any R-media or any other source possible. All R-officials were there giving interviews left and right. Ottavio was there too. How did it happen that he still never heard about such a request from Russia if it indeed took place. Someone wanted more of Chan? Here you are. There is a neighboring thread where people were protecting him till death, as if it was a matter of life for them, that the man became a victim of some writing witch. But here the situation is the same or worse and no one has any problems discussing some rumours. Why not, if it's not about Chan but about Plu. He is not untouchable unlike the Canadian. Carry on.

The only worthy argument that was brought up here is the possibility to give countries more spots than the current rules allow. Like for example when one country has two (one?) medalists plus the 3rd (+2nd) skater/pair placed not lower than 10th, then the country should get the 4th spot. Japan would have a chance in both Men and Ladies field, Russia- in pairs. Having stronger field at Worlds only attract the audience which is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks for your long post Lets Talk. You really take the cake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Thanks for your long post Lets Talk. You really take the cake.
    US idioms are charming!

take the cake (third-person singular simple present takes the cake, present participle taking the cake, simple past took the cake, past participle taken the cake):

1. (idiomatic, US) To be especially good or outstanding.
    "Thanks! You guys take the cake."
    2. (idiomatic, US) To be particularly bad, objectionable, or egregious. syn.
    "I've seen bad grammar, but this takes the cake."

Custom Title
    US idioms are charming!
    Indeed they are and not the least because they could have more than one meaning!
    Last edited by emdee; 12-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.

I posted in the Sochi 2014 section but I think what the Russian Fed should be asking for is to "qualify" a second man into the team event. Of course, this would have to apply to every country. Have Plu skate men's only and whoever comes in 2nd at Nationals would be sent to skate for the team event - like an honorary prize for anyone that doesn't make the spot (and this can somewhat solve the Japan spot deficit problem!!!)

This would take pressure off his would-be 31 year old body for having to skate is LP twice and solve the 2 spot thing. To be completely honest, I don't think Plu minds being the only Russian skater for men's at all. His confidence is out of the roof already and he knows damn well that the other Russian men are far behind him and won't even catch up (sorry Artur/Sergei/Menshov/whoever).

The rules for the team event are barely there and Russian Fed would have a much better chance to change that.

Custom Title
    First, they got Plush reinstated and now they want two spots. What nerve!!!!!

^ Or you can read the actual rules for that.

If this is their real request and the RF manages to make the team rules change so skaters who havent qualified to Olys can go I ll . Its the biggest put off to make the team event before the competition and make the same skaters skate there their Lp. How many more skaters would have to pay for otherwise? And by that maybe Japan will send more skaters in ladies and men

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^ Or you can read the actual rules for that.
    You know what, you prompted me to actually search for the rules instead of googling non existent media reports about the team event and I can't believe why I thought they have yet to come out with detailed specifications. My apologies. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil...ec2011_web.pdf

Apparently each country is only required to participate in 3 disciplines so Plu isn't completely required to participate in the team event. Of course, you probably won't win a medal if you do that.

But I do agree it's completely unfair to make the team event first. I can't see how it's advantageous for either Dai/Yuzu/Kozuka to come in first to exhaust themselves before skating their singles competition. Esp since they are all competing against each other for OGM. And apparently they are required to do both short and long?! I mean, just read THIS (below) from the rules, can we say w-t-f?!?!

Page 7
    If a NOC/ISU Member has 2 or 3 entries in an individual OWG competition/discipline then
    the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples to compete in the Short
    Program/Short Dance of the Team Event latest at 10.00 hrs (a.m.), local time on site of the
    OWG, the day before the beginning of the first Short Program/Short Dance of the Figure
    Skating Team Event. For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure
    Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skater/Couple competing for
    the Free Skating/Free Dance immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the
    last Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team
    composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance.
    I can see why Russia is in a frenzy because they are not allowed to enter another skater if they only have 1 man, gotta be Plu. I support Russian Fed to change the team rules now. This should really be the last event... =/

Tripping on the Podium
    Can Japan compete at Team event? If not, they are lucky. Team event, just a burden to skaters.
    Last edited by Evgenia; 12-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    You know what, you prompted me to actually search for the rules instead of googling non existent media reports about the team event and I can't believe why I thought they have yet to come out with detailed specifications. My apologies. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil...ec2011_web.pdf

A

The rules I proposed to read were about reistatement of Plushenko, not you But thank you a lot for the info you brought about Team Event.

Actually I cant believe ISU havent thought that it would be greater to have Team Event after the competition of individual skaters, it would have been as a party and an occasion for more publicity etc etc. Now, being the first event, it will be like, we get done with it soon enough so real competition comes and skaters will have been worn out by Lp time.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I imagine that they are envisioning something like the gymnastics team event in the Summer Olympics, where the team event is the qualifier for all around events and for apparatus finals. The team event is something they wanted specifically for Olympics, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

And it may be the IOC that is setting the Olympic schedule & calling the tune here.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast