Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

Custom Title
    I don't think the team event in front of individual event is a huge burden for skaters. It's a burden for sure but not huge. We used to have a qualify round for the worlds for even top skaters. Though I prefer the team event after. However, team event after the individual event will be more like WTT - all for fun and fun for all.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I imagine that they are envisioning something like the gymnastics team event in the Summer Olympics, where the team event is the qualifier for all around events and for apparatus finals. The team event is something they wanted specifically for Olympics, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

And it may be the IOC that is setting the Olympic schedule & calling the tune here.
    Apparent they are seeing how this works out before adding it into the World Championships.

The thing is figure skating can't be approached the same way as gymnastics as figure skating is more so about stamina than gymnastics is. Skaters are moving constantly for a longer period.

I can't say for sure if it's a burden or not to the skaters because I don't skate competitively but it definitely is a burden for the skaters who compete at the team events compared to the skaters who don't. Which is why I brought up Japan. Only 1 skater skates for the team. That skater would have an energy deficit before they even start the singles competition
    Last edited by starryxskies; 12-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I believe the team event is a bigger thing than a qualification round because medals are involved, besides there was no Q round in Olys.

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    I can't say for sure if it's a burden or not to the skaters because I don't skate competitively but it definitely is a burden for the skaters who compete at the team events compared to the skaters who don't. Which is why I brought up Japan. Only 1 skater skates for the team. That skater would have an energy deficit before they even start the singles competition
    I agree that it's a burden. However, to the best of my knowledge each country can use different skaters in the team event LP than those who skate the SP, so the disadvantage isn't as big. That said, it would be better if the team competition were held after the individual events.

Custom Title
    I agree with all those who say that it would have made more sense to have had the team event AFTER the solo competition. There's also the fact to consider that those taking part in the team event would be more tired RELATIVE TO those who did not, and would thus be at a disadvantage COMPARED TO those who did not take part. And if things are close, that may very well make a difference, and I for one would not want to see that happen.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I agree that it's a burden. However, to the best of my knowledge each country can use different skaters in the team event LP than those who skate the SP, so the disadvantage isn't as big. That said, it would be better if the team competition were held after the individual events.
    Thats only if a country has 3 entries maybe, otherwise If a country has two entries both teams will have skated by individual event. Also wouldn't federations want to put their best teams on team event there?

They're only able to use different skaters for a max of 2 disciplines. I only briefly skimmed through the rules so I'm not sure if there are other limitations.

I wonder if the ISU would take into consideration spectators' suggestions at all. I know you can send a message to them via their website. Just not sure if they take the messages seriously. I mean, we can all send a message to at least try to make a difference.

If Plu is forced to skate the team event, he will have no chance to get a gold medal in the singles event. If the team event were to conclude the competitions, his losses can at least be offset/made up by Russia's strong contenders like in the pairs discipline. This is how it should be approached.

Custom Title
    Ïn my opinion it´s very wrong from Russia to expect any special favours!!! If ISU would allow it, the same would apply to every Olympics, perhaps even to Worlds host countries, LOL... Based on Worlds because of the Japanese catastrophe, Russia was not the only country willing to arrange those Worlds. Hence definetely no favours. The entries must be earned!!!

Custom Title
    I understand why some top skaters are reticent about giving their best during the Team event, only to falter during their individual competitions. FS has always been an individualistic sport, therefore, this concept of "Team" based result is not only new, it's quite alien. You can call it a cultural shock for the skaters and I don't think they are sure how to value this.

In any event, the test balloon that Russia is sending out to test the water is getting answers in this thread. Of course, there won't be any formal announcement, why would there be? This kind of thing is always done to ensure full deniability in the event that an agreement cannot be reached. Neither the ISU or the Russian Fed has any interest of raising the ire of other members and the public. Would be interesting how things evolve but my hunch is if Russia wants two spots, they will have to earn it. I don't see ISU making an exception just for Russia simply because the qualification process for Olympics and Worlds is deeply ingrained in this sport. To break this now would be scandalous to say the least. The ISU won't be able to come up with a reasonable excuse to turn a blind eye on this. I think they are between a rock and a hard place right now.

Custom Title
    This doesn't help Russia which is probably going to have only one man! And if the Olympics was in another country could potentially be looking at zero!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I imagine that they are envisioning something like the gymnastics team event in the Summer Olympics, where the team event is the qualifier for all around events and for apparatus finals. The team event is something they wanted specifically for Olympics, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

And it may be the IOC that is setting the Olympic schedule & calling the tune here.
    I don't believe for a second that the IOC is behind a push for a team figure skating event, at least not as a whole although there might be a few members in there who were highly supportive. While the IOC members must vote on all proposals from the various sports for new events or new disciplines, the origin of the proposal and the push must come from the governing body for the sport. And in this case, that would be the ISU (Speedy in particular). Many of the voting members of the ISU are from countries that have little or no participation in the ISU or the sport of figure skating. They wouldn't necessarily care one way or another about having a FS Team event....though behind the scenes, there might be ways of persuading them to vote for or against.

I'm not excited about this new Team Competition at all. In fact, I'm dismayed by the way it's being set up in terms of timing and requirements for participation. I think it definitely puts a singles contender at risk. What happens if a skater has a fall/injury during their program during the Team competition and either has to withdraw, or skate injured in their singles competition? As seen by what happened to Wagner at the GPF a few days ago, it's possible. And nobody has yet answered a hypothetical question of mine: what happens if a country's federation decides they do not wish to field a team for the team competition even if eligible to do so? Will the ISU then disqualify all of that Federation's athletes from participating in the regular singles/pairs/dance competition? All it would take is any two of the major feds (= any that have strong players in at least 3 disciplines) to say "Hell no we won't do Team comp" and then the ISU has an interesting problem on its hands.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 12-10-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Any country that qualifies for the team event that doesn't qualify a skater in the individual discipline is able to field one contender in the team event.

I wonder if any of the federations are having the same thoughts as us. They better get their complaints in that door fast. Collectively, they can definitely change this.

Custom Title
    Speedy himself sits on the IOC with Jacques Rogge, so yes, the ISU has been lobbying for a Team Event for a long time but that's also because Speedy is part of the IOC as well.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What I was thinking is that Speedy had the desire for this event, but its structure was probably set by how the IOC agreed to have it done.

Yes, the team event in gymnastics is more than a qualifier, because team medals are given, but it indeed also is the process by which gymnasts are selected for the all around and the event finals.

That's why in gymnastics, the team comp has to go first.

I'm wondering if that skating event is first because a later twist will be that it has qualifier features, because the more smart way to set this up is to have the SP & LP combined scores pick which skaters are to appear in the team event.

But that's not what is being done.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast