Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

MiRé

Match Penalty
Very unfortunate for the South Korean FS Federation, but before you get worked up about it; does the Korean Skating Union even have internationally-competing pairs' and ice dance teams? (This is a different case for Russia because we all know they have eligible ice dancing and pairs' teams.)

Anyway, I hope by 2018, SK will have eligible pairs/teams so the decision will be overturned. I'd quite like to know what Proposal 177 of the 2012 Congress Agenda was. Hm.

South Korea have Rebeka and Kirill.

I'm not necessary mad that ISU is doing this, in fact, it may be a good thing they're doing to encourage skaters not to depend on free entries.
I'm frustrated because it only "applies" to South Korea currently. Why can't it be for rest of the Olympic games?
It just feels like ISU is purposely trying to be against Korea from earning a medal or something. (which I doubt looking at current Korean skaters).
Some things that ISU do just boggles my mind:confused:

starryxskies

On the Ice
Then, how do you deal with this situation if the host country has one rightful spot, and is given a gifted spot for hosting it. And then they got two people onto the Olympic podium of that particular competition? Will that be fair?

I don't see why not. If that person was able to get onto the podium in the first place, they have to have been more or less within top 10 leading up to olympic seasons. If Russia was given special case, then no. But if they make it into a rule for all hosts, it's fair game. It's not like they automatically get +10pts. The skaters still need to outskate others.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The number of spots a country has for Worlds/Olympics should be done away with almost entirely. People should be able to go based upon their own merits. Cap it at 6 entries per country, per discipline. Way more fair.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.

The younger men would to have proven that they were actually better than Plushenko in a competition first. So either Russian nationals or Euros 2014. He's not giving a lot of opportunities for other Russian men to beat him and it is totally unlikely anyone could beat him. Not just on PCS but also TES in a lot of cases. Any younger Russian male entry might have practice in Sochi in prep for 2018 but they can't think that! 2014-2018 just too many things can happen.

starryxskies

On the Ice
The number of spots a country has for Worlds/Olympics should be done away with almost entirely. People should be able to go based upon their own merits. Cap it at 6 entries per country, per discipline. Way more fair.

I think this is good for Worlds only. But to be actually "fair", it has to be very thought out.
Worlds, as I see it, is competing for yourself. I know they do country medal counts too but honestly, who gives?

For the Olympics, it's meant to be a global event bringing countries and sports together. All countries should have a shot. Earning the spot on the national team is an honour which makes competing for your country, the point of the Olympics. The pride is to be able to secure a medal for your country. What's the point if it's a one for one qualification....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The younger men would to have proven that they were actually better than Plushenko in a competition first. So either Russian nationals or Euros 2014. He's not giving a lot of opportunities for other Russian men to beat him and it is totally unlikely anyone could beat him. Not just on PCS but also TES in a lot of cases. Any younger Russian male entry might have practice in Sochi in prep for 2018 but they can't think that! 2014-2018 just too many things can happen.

Plushenko is and will always be the model for Russian Men's FS
which I think is one of the reasons why they are stagnant and are not able to make a new good crop for a decade now because they are molding the skaters as
a Plushenko 2.0, hopefully some of the new kids will carve their own by 2018, its the only way to break the dependence on Zhenya

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, doesn't a move like this cast suspicion on everything else? As in, if they're willing to ask for something unearned, what else will they do to get a chance?

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I don't agree with the russian federation request. I hope that exception isn't granted. On what fundament would the second spot be given to Russia? That's unfair to other nations and athletes.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This is really unfair. While it sucks that Plushenko (as Russia's possible one entry) might be taking away a spot from one of the up and coming Russian guys, or even Menshov (who has not competed at an Olympics yet), to ask for the rules to be changed for them and not other countries is ridiculous. It sets a bad precedent. If the ISU says yes then host nations in other future years, such as 2018, will expect the same treatment.

NMURA

Medalist
This request is on the premise that Plushenko doesn't want to compete at 2013 worlds. Probably many federations can accept that for their own sakes.

CAS

On the Ice
I think it's a ridiculous request and if it isn't denied will really disappoint me, I´m already so jaded with things I've seen behind the scenes that I think this is the sort of thing that might push me off the sport altogether. It's all about Pluschenko. It's the Olympics, they don't need Pluschenko to sell out that arena, what they do need is to hedge their bets and have a back up male (singles and team event). To have the balls to ask for this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, especially as this has become news instead of being laughed at and dismissed immediately which is cause for concern imo.

yaya124

On the Ice
I think it's a ridiculous request and if it isn't denied will really disappoint me, I´m already so jaded with things I've seen behind the scenes that I think this is the sort of thing that might push me off the sport altogether. It's all about Pluschenko. It's the Olympics, they don't need Pluschenko to sell out that arena, what they do need is to hedge their bets and have a back up male (singles and team event). To have the balls to ask for this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth, especially as this has become news instead of being laughed at and dismissed immediately which is cause for concern imo.

There is probably no hope to have a back up man ready this season to be able to get 2 spots at Worlds, so if they can get 2 spots automatically, no need to risk Plushenko to go to the Worlds. But let us face it, even if this request is denied and at the end of the season they could only have one spot, Plushenko is the one who will take the spot. If he is healthy, no one in Russia at the moment can beat him.

Yes it seems all about Plushenko but actually all about Russia. Yes they do not need Plushenko to sell the ticket but they need him to make Russian single men standing. And make the team gold more realistic. So it is really in Russia's interest to ask for it. Let them ask, I do not think ISU will grant it. And if they grant it, so what, other federations can ask the same or other things. In the Worlds, people do not need "face", they want result!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Wait, I didn't read this news anywhere only in this article of Rianovosti... I'm waiting for the official announcement from the Rus Fed or the ISU.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Wait, I didn't read this news anywhere only in this article of Rianovosti... I'm waiting for the official announcement from the Rus Fed or the ISU.
You are away of me. I wanted to say the same thing. I couldn't find anything in Russian press regarding this news. En.rian said "the country's skating federation has asked." But there is no announcement from officials either. None whatsoever. I wonder where this Pesnya-guy got this info from, if it's indeed true and not a "duck". But I think they are kind of late with that. R-fans, including those on the biggest sport portal with 500,000 users, where half-mil is not a typo, laughed off yesterday's scores for Chan, saying that Zhenya shouldn't get invloved in this **** because current ISU events are simply plain corrupted. They are right somewhere. :mad:

emdee

Final Flight
You are away of me. I wanted to say the same thing. I couldn't find anything in Russian press regarding this news. En.rian said "the country's skating federation has asked." But there is no announcement from officials either. None whatsoever. I wonder where this Pesnya-guy got this info from, if it's indeed true and not a "duck". But I think they are kind of late with that. R-fans, including those on the biggest sport portal with 500,000 users, where half-mil is not a typo, laughed off yesterday's scores for Chan, saying that Zhenya shouldn't get invloved in this **** because current ISU events are simply plain corrupted. They are right somewhere. :mad:

What has Chan to do with this?
You talk of inflation I see you have Chanphobia!

spikydurian

Medalist
^^I am convinced Chan murdered someone''s dogs and cats to earn her undying attention and obsession.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
What has Chan to do with this?
Maybe you should ask those who think that after seeing how judging regarding Chan in the current Men field works Zhenya shouldn't get involve in corrupted ISU events.

se-he. I see some Chan ubers got boiled up of the whole idea of Sochi without Plu. Bye-bye the dream "beat that tall blond Russian in his land!". Fair or not is irrelevant. Probably that's why Canadian press is so malicious towards Plu- the dude ignored fake London! Such an ad cash cow and didn't come. Please don't tell me the story about DiManno-witch. Why biggest newspapers in Japan or Russia don't employ such staff I wonder.

emdee

Final Flight
Maybe you should ask those who think that after seeing how judging regarding Chan in the current Men field works Zhenya shouldn't get involve in corrupted ISU events.

You havent answered my question your answer skirts the issue.

So you re admitting Chanphobia?

I am far from 'boiled up' as you so inelegantly put it - just mildly amused......

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You havent answered my question your answer skirts the issue.

So you re admitting Chanphobia?

I am far from 'boiled up' as you so inelegantly put it - just mildly amused......
Is it your idea of "being amused"? I am scrared to think what I should expect when you are "boiled up". You are seriously asking me what Chan has to do with judging system and currupted ISU events. My turn to be amused. :laugh: