Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope ISU accepts Russia's request.

And, I hope ISU will give 1 men's spots and 1 dance spot to Korea in 2018, no matter Worlds outcome.

As the OP said, the host nation gets one, but I'm not sure if the TES rule would apply. However, Korea has a promising junior dance pair training in Russia; they might well be ready for 2018.

Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054325.htm

They were 6th recently at NRW Trophy Junior Dance.

Also Jin Seo Kim, a Korean junior skater who has several more years of junior eligibility, scored a bronze medal at one of his JGP events and a fourth place at the other. It's not at all far fetched that he might qualify for 2018 without the benefit of special ISU interventions.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013480.htm

LRK

Record Breaker
100%! And I don't understand why, because Russia needs him at Worlds to get the two spots!:confused:

I believe it has to do with the length of time that he'd have to be at peak condition - plus also that he'd risk getting two GP assignments next year, which would mean an even longer season, and his goal is the Olympics.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry but if Russian Men are not good enough for to earn two Men for Sochi then they don't deserve them.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Well, I guess this explains why Plushenko has felt no urgency about skating at Worlds this year. I definitely disagree with them getting another spot; as stated, there is no precedence or legitimate reason for this. If they get it, it'll only be because of politics. Shameless request in my opinion from the Russian federation, but not surprising, considering some of their other moves the last few years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hell the US could have sent 4 or 5 women to some past Olympics but you didn't see them begging for more spots. Can you imagine if this was the US asking for this?

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Hmmm... I don't know what to think, to be honest.

However, I presume this would set some kind of precedent for all host countries?

Think this way: What if an Olympic host country doesn't have a single spot, say in men's competition? Can the people of the host country accept that fact? If we can accept and live with that, then we should not change the rule to allow Russia to have an additional spot. Otherwise, let it be. So every host country could get that privilege. Somewhere down the road, there might be some other host country might have no spot or only one spot.

I personally think we should not allow it. Especially Russia has one spot already. What if that additional spot enabled the host country get two out of the three spots on the Olympic podium?!:popcorn:

Last edited:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Think this way: What if an Olympic host country doesn't have a single spot, say in men's competition? Can the people of the host country accept that fact? If we can accept and live with that, then we should not change the rule to allow Russia to have an additional spot. Otherwise, let it be. So every host country could get that privilege. Somewhere down the road, there might be some other host country might have no spot or only one spot.

My personally think we should not allow it. Especially Russia has one spot already. What if that additional spot allowed the host country got two out of the three spots on the Olympic podium?!:popcorn:

Good point.

This has got to be all about Plushy. They want a spot to insert their superstar who has to carefully train around his injuries and who has a limited number of competitions within which he can risk his health.

On the other hand, Russia DOES has one spot and merit-wise their skaters are just not there (the ones who are competing regularly). Merit-wise, even at one, they have more than enough spots.

I have trouble taking Plushy as a serious challenger for podium, but I do think, even if he is not, he will put on a great show. (And part of me just thinks that he deserves to be there based on what he has done for the sport.) But what if they decide to just put in another one of their clunkers instead of Plushy? And then, even if Plushy is plunked into the competition, what effect will the second skater have on the competition?

Leave them the one spot they already have, and let them deal with the Plushy issue themselves. It's their mess, not anyone else's.

If I feel sorry for anyone regarding spots, it is for the Japanese male skaters who have the talent to compete, but are not allowed to.

yaya124

On the Ice
I think what Russia did is kind of desperate. Apparently it is aiming to ensure 2 spots for men since other disciplines they are strong enough to have two spots.

They really should just ask ISU to grant a permission to allow anyone who holds more than one Olympics medals to compete as a wild card skater regardless of the country:D I mean sure you will have extra skaters compete, but how many Olympics medalists (the one who has multiple medals) are still playing?

Just joking but:laugh:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think because if Russia wants 2 spots, they have to EARN them!:p

This.

I really have nothing else to add. If a country isn't performing well enough in a certain discipline to earn a second Olympic or world spot, then they only get one. That's how it's always worked, for all countries. Why should they get an exception? Because they're Russia? :rolleye: I hope the request is denied.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Leave them the one spot they already have, and let them deal with the Plushy issue themselves. It's their mess, not anyone else's.

In this case, Plushenko has to go to this worlds and earn two spots for Russia which is highly possible and is the fair method.

starryxskies

On the Ice
I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.

I also say that if all 3 skaters of a country place top 10 and 2/3 on podium (aka Japan) they should be given more 1 or 2 more spots :clap:

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Hello, Russia? Yes, this is the real world, the rules apply to you as well.

What a ridiculous request. If you want two spots at the Olympics, then earn them like everyone else.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.

Then, how do you deal with this situation if the host country has one rightful spot, and is given a gifted spot for hosting it. And then they got two people onto the Olympic podium of that particular competition? Will that be fair?

wallylutz

Medalist
meh, if it puts butts in the seats, I say let 'em.

Next thing you know, Japan would be demanding allowing its country 5 World spots in men's and women's seeing the European champion in either discipline could potentially fail to podium even at the Japanese Nationals.

wallylutz

Medalist
hehe...funny thing is... some are still convinced that the South Korean Fed is influential. :laugh:

Not in Figure Skating but South Korea is very well represented in the ISU for speed skating. FS for Korea is a one man shop and its future doubtful once Yu Na Kim retires. But when something can impact their FS super star, which will get Korean corporations involved, which means $$$, then yes, only then will South Korea will be powerful - in very select circumstances. Fight for a free spot in men's or ice dance at 2018 clearly don't get anybody's blood boil, therefore, I think even the Korea Skating Union could care less.

wallylutz

Medalist
Thats odd, if they send a skater to Worlds and he doesnt place in top 10 to get two spots, what do they hope for by Sochi time and they want two spots?

Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.

wallylutz

Medalist
Agreed. Competitions with loads of empty seats are depressing.

Trust me, FS tickets at the Olympic Games will not lack takers. Even at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Compulsory Dance, the arena was filled with 10000 people. Normally, Compulsory Dance is rarely ever half full even in a 3000 seating venue.

wallylutz

Medalist
As the OP said, the host nation gets one, but I'm not sure if the TES rule would apply. However, Korea has a promising junior dance pair training in Russia; they might well be ready for 2018.

Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054325.htm

They were 6th recently at NRW Trophy Junior Dance.

Also Jin Seo Kim, a Korean junior skater who has several more years of junior eligibility, scored a bronze medal at one of his JGP events and a fourth place at the other. It's not at all far fetched that he might qualify for 2018 without the benefit of special ISU interventions.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013480.htm

Kirill Minov is in fact Russian and would likely hit the citizenship issue by 2018. South Korea can be as anal as Japan, if not more so about citizenship naturalization. So unless this team medals at the World Championships leading up to 2018, there is still not South Korea Pair hopeful on the horizon.

wallylutz

Medalist
I believe it has to do with the length of time that he'd have to be at peak condition - plus also that he'd risk getting two GP assignments next year, which would mean an even longer season, and his goal is the Olympics.

The latter part of your hypothesis can't be true. A skater can always decline to take part in the GP series, it's not an obligation. Besides, with his chronic health issues, it would be pretty easy for him to get medical bye to skip these "obligations" in the worst case scenario.