Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome | Golden Skate

Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

gmyers

Record Breaker
Fascinating but they know that actually qualifying for two is very very questionable. Not impossible but I wouldn't bet any money. Being granted two I think is far fetched but could rationalize such a thing based on the team event.

cosmos

On the Ice
I hope ISU accepts Russia's request.

And, I hope ISU will give 1 men's spots and 1 dance spot to Korea in 2018, no matter Worlds outcome.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Hmmm... I don't know what to think, to be honest.

However, I presume this would set some kind of precedent for all host countries?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hope ISU accepts Russia's request.

And, I hope ISU will give 1 men's spots and 1 dance spot to Korea in 2018, no matter Worlds outcome.

I think south Korea is entitled to them anyway. All events are open to at least one entry from south Korea. Russia wants one spot that comes from having one spot at worlds 2013 and another from being host. They say one spot only is actually wrong. They are so not confident in earning two spots in London .

MiRé

Match Penalty
I think south Korea is entitled to them anyway. All events are open to at least one entry from south Korea. Russia wants one spot that comes from having one spot at worlds 2013 and another from being host. They say one spot only is actually wrong. They are so not confident in earning two spots in London .

Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

Lucky for Russians this rule doesn't apply to them.

cooper

Medalist
Actually, ISU decided to ban giving "free" spots for 2018 winter olympics. Funny thing is, it's effective in 2018 ONLY, it doesnt say it'll apply it for future, just says for 2018 olympics. Another funny thing is, it's only for Figure Skating. This image is the proof!!!

I really wonder who's behind this, and why it's only for 2018 winter olympics. Why not for 2022 too? or 2026, 2030?
Why is ISU so unfair to South Korea?? Figure skating is too much depended on feds. I'm not gonna name a country, but I can sense which country is behind all this.

hehe...funny thing is... some are still convinced that the South Korean Fed is influential. :laugh:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

because I don't think Zhenya will go to Worlds
so that leaves Gachinski, Voronov and Menshov

Gachinski and Voronov are long shots for a Top 10
even if Menshov skated lights out, he may barely crack the Top 10
giving 2 spots will give Plushy less of a burden competing individually and in Team
this is what I think they asked for 2 spots

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thats odd, if they send a skater to Worlds and he doesnt place in top 10 to get two spots, what do they hope for by Sochi time and they want two spots?

gmyers

Record Breaker

I had no idea that 2018 meant no automatic entries for south Korea. I oppose that!!

Russia is lucky because if they have a disaster at worlds maybe a Russian male wouldn't even get out of the sp!! Then they would have to wait until maybe a qualifying event in the fall of 2013 if they are still going to have that in the isu rules. And that really means only one entry.

because I don't think Zhenya will go to Worlds
so that leaves Gachinski, Voronov and Menshov

Gachinski and Voronov are long shots for a Top 10
even if Menshov skated lights out, he may barely crack the Top 10
giving 2 spots will give Plushy less of a burden competing individually and in Team
this is what I think they asked for 2 spots

I agree! I almost feel nervous now for any Russian male that isn't plushenko in London 2013! Maybe this question is just to reduce some pressure. But it's so much pressure. If it's gachinski or menshov or kovtun or voronov it's just them and that's it. One spot or two spots or no qualified spots if they don't get out of the sp!!

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Very unfortunate for the South Korean FS Federation, but before you get worked up about it; does the Korean Skating Union even have internationally-competing pairs' and ice dance teams? (This is a different case for Russia because we all know they have eligible ice dancing and pairs' teams.)

Anyway, I hope by 2018, SK will have eligible pairs/teams so the decision will be overturned. I'd quite like to know what Proposal 177 of the 2012 Congress Agenda was. Hm.

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I hope they let them have 2 spots in men at Olympics so maybe Japan can have like 5 spots :biggrin: