Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Leave them the one spot they already have, and let them deal with the Plushy issue themselves. It's their mess, not anyone else's.
    In this case, Plushenko has to go to this worlds and earn two spots for Russia which is highly possible and is the fair method.

I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.

I also say that if all 3 skaters of a country place top 10 and 2/3 on podium (aka Japan) they should be given more 1 or 2 more spots

Custom Title
    Hello, Russia? Yes, this is the real world, the rules apply to you as well.

What a ridiculous request. If you want two spots at the Olympics, then earn them like everyone else.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    I say yes in the sense that a host country automatically gets one spot but if they also earn one spot through their skater, then give them 2 in total. 1 for hosting and 1 for earning it.
    Then, how do you deal with this situation if the host country has one rightful spot, and is given a gifted spot for hosting it. And then they got two people onto the Olympic podium of that particular competition? Will that be fair?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    meh, if it puts butts in the seats, I say let 'em.
    Next thing you know, Japan would be demanding allowing its country 5 World spots in men's and women's seeing the European champion in either discipline could potentially fail to podium even at the Japanese Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    hehe...funny thing is... some are still convinced that the South Korean Fed is influential.
    Not in Figure Skating but South Korea is very well represented in the ISU for speed skating. FS for Korea is a one man shop and its future doubtful once Yu Na Kim retires. But when something can impact their FS super star, which will get Korean corporations involved, which means $$$, then yes, only then will South Korea will be powerful - in very select circumstances. Fight for a free spot in men's or ice dance at 2018 clearly don't get anybody's blood boil, therefore, I think even the Korea Skating Union could care less.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Thats odd, if they send a skater to Worlds and he doesnt place in top 10 to get two spots, what do they hope for by Sochi time and they want two spots?
    Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Agreed. Competitions with loads of empty seats are depressing.
    Trust me, FS tickets at the Olympic Games will not lack takers. Even at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Compulsory Dance, the arena was filled with 10000 people. Normally, Compulsory Dance is rarely ever half full even in a 3000 seating venue.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    As the OP said, the host nation gets one, but I'm not sure if the TES rule would apply. However, Korea has a promising junior dance pair training in Russia; they might well be ready for 2018.

Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054325.htm

They were 6th recently at NRW Trophy Junior Dance.

Also Jin Seo Kim, a Korean junior skater who has several more years of junior eligibility, scored a bronze medal at one of his JGP events and a fourth place at the other. It's not at all far fetched that he might qualify for 2018 without the benefit of special ISU interventions.
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013480.htm
    Kirill Minov is in fact Russian and would likely hit the citizenship issue by 2018. South Korea can be as anal as Japan, if not more so about citizenship naturalization. So unless this team medals at the World Championships leading up to 2018, there is still not South Korea Pair hopeful on the horizon.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I believe it has to do with the length of time that he'd have to be at peak condition - plus also that he'd risk getting two GP assignments next year, which would mean an even longer season, and his goal is the Olympics.
    The latter part of your hypothesis can't be true. A skater can always decline to take part in the GP series, it's not an obligation. Besides, with his chronic health issues, it would be pretty easy for him to get medical bye to skip these "obligations" in the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Very unfortunate for the South Korean FS Federation, but before you get worked up about it; does the Korean Skating Union even have internationally-competing pairs' and ice dance teams? (This is a different case for Russia because we all know they have eligible ice dancing and pairs' teams.)

Anyway, I hope by 2018, SK will have eligible pairs/teams so the decision will be overturned. I'd quite like to know what Proposal 177 of the 2012 Congress Agenda was. Hm.
    South Korea have Rebeka and Kirill.

I'm not necessary mad that ISU is doing this, in fact, it may be a good thing they're doing to encourage skaters not to depend on free entries.
    I'm frustrated because it only "applies" to South Korea currently. Why can't it be for rest of the Olympic games?
    It just feels like ISU is purposely trying to be against Korea from earning a medal or something. (which I doubt looking at current Korean skaters).
    Some things that ISU do just boggles my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Then, how do you deal with this situation if the host country has one rightful spot, and is given a gifted spot for hosting it. And then they got two people onto the Olympic podium of that particular competition? Will that be fair?
    I don't see why not. If that person was able to get onto the podium in the first place, they have to have been more or less within top 10 leading up to olympic seasons. If Russia was given special case, then no. But if they make it into a rule for all hosts, it's fair game. It's not like they automatically get +10pts. The skaters still need to outskate others.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    The number of spots a country has for Worlds/Olympics should be done away with almost entirely. People should be able to go based upon their own merits. Cap it at 6 entries per country, per discipline. Way more fair.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Maybe Plush will get blamed for taking away the spot of a younger Russian guy from the current generation, therefore, continues this gap of Russian male skaters since 2006? This could be a big PR problem at home I imagine.
    The younger men would to have proven that they were actually better than Plushenko in a competition first. So either Russian nationals or Euros 2014. He's not giving a lot of opportunities for other Russian men to beat him and it is totally unlikely anyone could beat him. Not just on PCS but also TES in a lot of cases. Any younger Russian male entry might have practice in Sochi in prep for 2018 but they can't think that! 2014-2018 just too many things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The number of spots a country has for Worlds/Olympics should be done away with almost entirely. People should be able to go based upon their own merits. Cap it at 6 entries per country, per discipline. Way more fair.
    I think this is good for Worlds only. But to be actually "fair", it has to be very thought out.
    Worlds, as I see it, is competing for yourself. I know they do country medal counts too but honestly, who gives?

For the Olympics, it's meant to be a global event bringing countries and sports together. All countries should have a shot. Earning the spot on the national team is an honour which makes competing for your country, the point of the Olympics. The pride is to be able to secure a medal for your country. What's the point if it's a one for one qualification....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast