Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russia requests two Olympic spots for Men regardless of Worlds outcome

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Thanks for your long post Lets Talk. You really take the cake.
US idioms are charming! :love:

take the cake (third-person singular simple present takes the cake, present participle taking the cake, simple past took the cake, past participle taken the cake):

1. (idiomatic, US) To be especially good or outstanding.
"Thanks! You guys take the cake."
2. (idiomatic, US) To be particularly bad, objectionable, or egregious. syn.
"I've seen bad grammar, but this takes the cake."

starryxskies

On the Ice
I posted in the Sochi 2014 section but I think what the Russian Fed should be asking for is to "qualify" a second man into the team event. Of course, this would have to apply to every country. Have Plu skate men's only and whoever comes in 2nd at Nationals would be sent to skate for the team event - like an honorary prize for anyone that doesn't make the spot (and this can somewhat solve the Japan spot deficit problem!!!)

This would take pressure off his would-be 31 year old body for having to skate is LP twice and solve the 2 spot thing. To be completely honest, I don't think Plu minds being the only Russian skater for men's at all. His confidence is out of the roof already and he knows damn well that the other Russian men are far behind him and won't even catch up (sorry Artur/Sergei/Menshov/whoever).

The rules for the team event are barely there and Russian Fed would have a much better chance to change that.

Icey

Record Breaker
First, they got Plush reinstated and now they want two spots. What nerve!!!!!:rolleye:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Or you can read the actual rules for that.

If this is their real request and the RF manages to make the team rules change so skaters who havent qualified to Olys can go I ll :bow:. Its the biggest put off to make the team event before the competition and make the same skaters skate there their Lp. How many more skaters would have to pay for otherwise? And by that maybe Japan will send more skaters in ladies and men:yay:

starryxskies

On the Ice
^ Or you can read the actual rules for that.

You know what, you prompted me to actually search for the rules instead of googling non existent media reports about the team event and I can't believe why I thought they have yet to come out with detailed specifications. My apologies. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/files/dmfile/ISU_FigureSkating_Sochi2014_QualSystems_Dec2011_web.pdf

Apparently each country is only required to participate in 3 disciplines so Plu isn't completely required to participate in the team event. Of course, you probably won't win a medal if you do that.

But I do agree it's completely unfair to make the team event first. I can't see how it's advantageous for either Dai/Yuzu/Kozuka to come in first to exhaust themselves before skating their singles competition. Esp since they are all competing against each other for OGM. And apparently they are required to do both short and long?! I mean, just read THIS (below) from the rules, can we say w-t-f?!?!

Page 7
If a NOC/ISU Member has 2 or 3 entries in an individual OWG competition/discipline then
the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples to compete in the Short
Program/Short Dance of the Team Event latest at 10.00 hrs (a.m.), local time on site of the
OWG, the day before the beginning of the first Short Program/Short Dance of the Figure
Skating Team Event. For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure
Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skater/Couple competing for
the Free Skating/Free Dance immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the
last Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team
composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance.

I can see why Russia is in a frenzy because they are not allowed to enter another skater if they only have 1 man, gotta be Plu. I support Russian Fed to change the team rules now. This should really be the last event... =/

Evgenia

Rinkside
Can Japan compete at Team event? If not, they are lucky. Team event, just a burden to skaters.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
You know what, you prompted me to actually search for the rules instead of googling non existent media reports about the team event and I can't believe why I thought they have yet to come out with detailed specifications. My apologies. http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fi...Skating_Sochi2014_QualSystems_Dec2011_web.pdf

A

The rules I proposed to read were about reistatement of Plushenko, not you:) But thank you a lot for the info you brought about Team Event.

Actually I cant believe ISU havent thought that it would be greater to have Team Event after the competition of individual skaters, it would have been as a party and an occasion for more publicity etc etc. Now, being the first event, it will be like, we get done with it soon enough so real competition comes and skaters will have been worn out by Lp time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I imagine that they are envisioning something like the gymnastics team event in the Summer Olympics, where the team event is the qualifier for all around events and for apparatus finals. The team event is something they wanted specifically for Olympics, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

And it may be the IOC that is setting the Olympic schedule & calling the tune here.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't think the team event in front of individual event is a huge burden for skaters. It's a burden for sure but not huge. We used to have a qualify round for the worlds for even top skaters. Though I prefer the team event after. However, team event after the individual event will be more like WTT - all for fun and fun for all.:biggrin:

Last edited:

starryxskies

On the Ice
I imagine that they are envisioning something like the gymnastics team event in the Summer Olympics, where the team event is the qualifier for all around events and for apparatus finals. The team event is something they wanted specifically for Olympics, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

And it may be the IOC that is setting the Olympic schedule & calling the tune here.

Apparent they are seeing how this works out before adding it into the World Championships.

The thing is figure skating can't be approached the same way as gymnastics as figure skating is more so about stamina than gymnastics is. Skaters are moving constantly for a longer period.

I can't say for sure if it's a burden or not to the skaters because I don't skate competitively but it definitely is a burden for the skaters who compete at the team events compared to the skaters who don't. Which is why I brought up Japan. Only 1 skater skates for the team. That skater would have an energy deficit before they even start the singles competition

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I believe the team event is a bigger thing than a qualification round because medals are involved, besides there was no Q round in Olys.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I can't say for sure if it's a burden or not to the skaters because I don't skate competitively but it definitely is a burden for the skaters who compete at the team events compared to the skaters who don't. Which is why I brought up Japan. Only 1 skater skates for the team. That skater would have an energy deficit before they even start the singles competition
I agree that it's a burden. However, to the best of my knowledge each country can use different skaters in the team event LP than those who skate the SP, so the disadvantage isn't as big. That said, it would be better if the team competition were held after the individual events.

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree with all those who say that it would have made more sense to have had the team event AFTER the solo competition. There's also the fact to consider that those taking part in the team event would be more tired RELATIVE TO those who did not, and would thus be at a disadvantage COMPARED TO those who did not take part. And if things are close, that may very well make a difference, and I for one would not want to see that happen.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I agree that it's a burden. However, to the best of my knowledge each country can use different skaters in the team event LP than those who skate the SP, so the disadvantage isn't as big. That said, it would be better if the team competition were held after the individual events.
Thats only if a country has 3 entries maybe, otherwise If a country has two entries both teams will have skated by individual event. Also wouldn't federations want to put their best teams on team event there?

starryxskies

On the Ice

They're only able to use different skaters for a max of 2 disciplines. I only briefly skimmed through the rules so I'm not sure if there are other limitations.

I wonder if the ISU would take into consideration spectators' suggestions at all. I know you can send a message to them via their website. Just not sure if they take the messages seriously. I mean, we can all send a message to at least try to make a difference.

If Plu is forced to skate the team event, he will have no chance to get a gold medal in the singles event. If the team event were to conclude the competitions, his losses can at least be offset/made up by Russia's strong contenders like in the pairs discipline. This is how it should be approached.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ïn my opinion it´s very wrong from Russia to expect any special favours!!! If ISU would allow it, the same would apply to every Olympics, perhaps even to Worlds host countries, LOL... Based on Worlds because of the Japanese catastrophe, Russia was not the only country willing to arrange those Worlds. Hence definetely no favours. The entries must be earned!!!

wallylutz

Medalist
I understand why some top skaters are reticent about giving their best during the Team event, only to falter during their individual competitions. FS has always been an individualistic sport, therefore, this concept of "Team" based result is not only new, it's quite alien. You can call it a cultural shock for the skaters and I don't think they are sure how to value this.

In any event, the test balloon that Russia is sending out to test the water is getting answers in this thread. Of course, there won't be any formal announcement, why would there be? This kind of thing is always done to ensure full deniability in the event that an agreement cannot be reached. Neither the ISU or the Russian Fed has any interest of raising the ire of other members and the public. Would be interesting how things evolve but my hunch is if Russia wants two spots, they will have to earn it. I don't see ISU making an exception just for Russia simply because the qualification process for Olympics and Worlds is deeply ingrained in this sport. To break this now would be scandalous to say the least. The ISU won't be able to come up with a reasonable excuse to turn a blind eye on this. I think they are between a rock and a hard place right now.

gmyers

Record Breaker

This doesn't help Russia which is probably going to have only one man! And if the Olympics was in another country could potentially be looking at zero!!