Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Grand Prix Final Short Dance (SD)

Custom Title
    73.20, 2 points more than V/M and beat them on PCS. I don't know what to say, I think it should be closer

SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 73.20 Short Dance
    2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 71.27
    3. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 68.70 Short Dance
    4. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 66.23 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    5. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 66.11 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    6. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 63.56 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    Last edited by Mao88; 12-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Custom Title
    Couldn't say it should be closer, but D/W do a great polka and it's the highlight of this dance (the separation is bigger in the TES than the PCS here as well).

Custom Title
    protocols up http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SD_Scores.pdf
    Virtue/Moir finally got a level 4 on a Polka (the other was a 3)
    Cappellini/Lanotte received a level 4 for both Polkas (are the only one who did it in this season so far)

Another fantastic skate from D/W.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SD_Scores.pdf

V/M actually got better levels on polkas (3/4 vs 3/3 for D/W). But D/W got two level 4s on their other elmements while V/M got one, so BV is tied along with P/B. D/W out +GOE everyone: 6.65 (D/W) 5.51 (V/M) 5.08 (P/B). D/W got the only single 10 of the night (in choreography) -- beating V/M in PCS by .79. But the margin was bigger in TES (1.09).

B/S also had the same BV as the top three, but got lower +GOE (.93) and PCS (1.54) than P/B

C/L actually scored the highest BV at 30.50 and their TES was actually better than P/B. +GOE was (3.43) Also got the lowest PCS of the group.

I/K had the lowest BV (27.00) and +GOE (3.43, tied for the bottom with C/L).

Custom Title
    Protocols

D/W: level fours on lift and twizzles, level threes on footwork. One 10. Loads of 2s and 3s.
    V/M: Level three on the twizzles, one YP and the steps. Level fours on the other YP and lift. No 10s. Mostly twos, with some ones and threes.

That's where the difference came in. Equal difficulty, but D/W had higher GOEs on every element.

P/B: Levels on par with the top two in total BV, actually, but GOEs weren't as high. Accurate (though I thought the circ step might've been dropped to a level two.).

B/S: Ditto levels. Ditto GOes.

C/L: Destroyed the field on levels with only one level three (circ steps_- rest was four.

I/K: Circ steps level two, YP's level three, level fours on lift and twizzles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rosacotton View Post
    Another fantastic skate from D/W.
    It was fantastic on the surface, and I love their energy, but if they want to give themselves the best chance of winning Worlds, they absolutely MUST up the level on the Yankee Polka patterns from level 3 to level 4. They consistently don't get level 4 on the pattern sequences- something for them to strive for!

Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    It was fantastic on the surface, and I love their energy, but if they want to give themselves the best chance of winning Worlds, they absolutely MUST up the level on the Yankee Polka patterns from level 3 to level 4. They consistently don't get level 4 on the pattern sequences- something for them to strive for!
    Agreed. It does come down to levels, so yes, I hope they will keep working on those polka sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    How do skaters up their elements from a level 3 to a 4? Is it simple practice, or performing the elements in a certain manner?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskate View Post
    protocols up http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SD_Scores.pdf
    Virtue/Moir finally got a level 4 on a Polka (the other was a 3)
    Cappellini/Lanotte received a level 4 for both Polkas (are the only one who did it in this season so far)
    Great job for both teams, especially C/L! Nice.

Custom Title
    How do skaters up their elements from a level 3 to a 4? Is it simple practice, or performing the elements in a certain manner?
    Both.

Custom Title
    It's both- they need to perform the elements in a certain manner, and it takes practice to do so. Particularly on the pattern dances, they need to skate as close together as possible, do ALL the turns on the CORRECT edge, and cover as much ice as possible.

Medalist
    It's a vicious math game... do you take the time to work up to a level 4 but less GOE (Cappelini/Lanotte) or do you sit on a consistent level 3 and rack up serious GOE (Davis/White)? It hardly seems credible... D/W got level 3s on both patterns but they got the highest GOE period on the polka patterns (a 1.0 and a 0.93). C/L got level 4s on both patterns but only 0.29 and 0.21 GOE. Then there's Pechalat/Bourzat, who got the highest individual pattern score of 7.86 on the first pattern but also the lowest individual pattern score of 5.57 on the second pattern. It just seems all over the place!

Math aside, it seems like everyone had a good performance (though I haven't seen V/M's video yet). I always want D/W on top but I AM surprised that it's a 2 point spread. It's so weird from competition to competition--I seriously don't see how D/W and V/M can ever be more than half a point apart unless one of them has a major mistake. They're both so good... granted, they're good at different things but math-wise, it usually tends to even out anyway. On to the free! It should be full of drama and anguish!

SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 73.20 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 71.27 Short Dance
    3. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 68.70 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    4. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 66.23 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    5. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 66.11 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    6. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 63.56 Short Dance, 2nd Copy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast