2012 2013 JGPF Men's Long program Junior Grand Prix Final LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 2013 JGPF Men's Long program Junior Grand Prix Final LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watching the guys on reply. Brown had that costly error on the axel and a few other little errors, but as always the program is well-paced and well-choreographed. He can still take away the fact he did do a 3A in competition. He doesn't need to peak at JGPF anyway - the focus should be improving his showing at Nationals and returning to JW for a decent performance with a few more 3As under his belt.

Farris, boy that was hard to watch. Hard fall on the quad, another fall later in the program and some rough landings. Still a beautiful program with good non-jump elements. Hope he peaks later as well.

Congrats to Kovtum, way to get all the hard jumping passes! Though his PCS was a bit high. Can't help but compare that program to Ross Miner's -- the step sequence is not as swoon worthy. So if we had Kovtum's jumps and Ross' great skating style and packaging, we'd have an unbeatable skater! ;) Still he was the rightful winner today.

Haven't watched Hino yet, but congrats to him for the bronze! Also didn't realize he had the same coach as Akiko.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maxim improved alot , certainly better then the hopeless Gachisnki
Maxim is the first to win JGP Final in men's from Russia since when ?

That would be Alexander Shubin who won in 2002, so it's been a decade. That said, Shubin did not do much in seniors after his junior success, so I hope Kovtum does not follow in the same pattern.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I haven't watched the videos yet but was taken by Jin's second highest TES ended up 5th with the lowest PCS.

onyxrose81

Rinkside
Poor Josh. I read on FSU that he had a severe allergic reaction and was pretty much doped up to the gills. Still a great achievement for him to hang on to the silver. Congrats to Kovtun.

emma

Record Breaker
congrats to the medalists!!!! I honestly thought Josh was gonna take this title - and that was a rough fall. But I've so enjoyed him this season, and again, congratulate him on his silver medal!

I'm, of course, delighted to see Jason putting the triple axel in, and since he said he only recently 'got it' in practice, mistakes in competition are to be expected. I am concerned about his stalking approach though. Far too many otherwise excellent skaters who approached the jump in this manner, have failed to 'command' the jump. So, kudos for gaining a new element - here's hoping that at home, they nip that stalking the jump approach in the bud quickly.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Josh had an allergic reaction, mentioned in the icenetwork article. He took a bunch of benadryl and was very sleepy, which probably explains some of the uncharacteristic mistakes. With the way Kovtun skated, even without an allergic reaction he may not have won, but the reaction makes me think his issues today were more physical than mental. He sounds very level-headed in his comments toward the skate and experience, which is nice to see. I agree that this could bode well for Nationals, and Junior Worlds. He can do the same jumps as Kovtun and knows he can probably beat him with a good skate, so there is no need to be spooked. In any event, he's still scored over 210 in all his competitions so far this season, which for junior programs internationally is pretty good, and his scores can still get a lot higher. There might be a lot of pressure/hype on him going into Nationals had he won so maybe this is for the better.

As for Jason, yeah the stalking is not his friend, but at least her got the 3a out in the SP and got credit for full rotation. It's a good step forward. I think Hino on the podium was the right call though, and now Jason knows he'll need to be trying the 3a from now on to have a good shot at medaling, even in junior events. Hopefully once he gets more comfortable with the jump he'll get rid of the stalking.

Hino's comments about winning a medal are so adorable, how he's so honored to be standing with Farris and Kovtun like he thought they were way out of his league despite being the same age and competing on the same level. I think this is a good step forward for him, showing his consistency and technical abilities are finally being appreciated by the judges.

Also, is Plushenko planning on going to Worlds? I know Russia has 3 spots at Euros, but only 1 at Worlds. I would assume Kovtun has a great shot to make the Euros team, and if Plushenko doesn't plan to do Worlds, I could see the Fed sending there if he skates well at Nationals and Euros. There are other strong juniors that can be sent to JW, but among the seniors, Gatchinski is having problems, Menshov has a great quad but is lacking in other areas and not always consistent, and Voronov is boring and has like no artistry & low PCS. I'd like to see Kovtun get a chance to skate senior events this season as he has a great chance to make it to the Olympics next season. If he continues to skate like he has been, he should do quite well at Euros, and even Worlds.

lavender

Record Breaker
Love Jason but I'm glad he didn't win or make the podium without a 3 axel. It wasn't a big deal at first but it's been 2 seasons since he's been working on this that I feel it's got to be time to try or fail while trying. Maybe this will get him to just do it regardless...or work on a quad or something. It seems like people that have trouble with the axel have a easier time getting the quad.

***Okay I see he was going for the axel which is good. He's going to have to do that for awhile before he gets it

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Love Jason but I'm glad he didn't win or make the podium without a 3 axel. It wasn't a big deal at first but it's been 2 seasons since he's been working on this that I feel it's got to be time to try or fail while trying. Maybe this will get him to just do it regardless...or work on a quad or something. It seems like people that have trouble with the axel have a easier time getting the quad.

***Okay I see he was going for the axel which is good. He's going to have to do that for awhile before he gets it

He attempted it at his last JGP; it was DG in the SP and UR in the FS. And Jason did land it in the SP.

The 3A is not an easy jump and sometimes you have to break it down for a while before it clicks. We saw that with Ross Miner with his 3A a few seasons ago. Jason himself said he finally felt at ease (i.e. no UR/two-foots/DG) with the jump last Wednesday, so I'm not surprised that he wasn't absolutely perfect in the attempts.

I think Jason and his team know what they have to do next. I expect improvement at Nationals and JW.

lavender

Record Breaker
He attempted it at his last JGP; it was DG in the SP and UR in the FS. And Jason did land it in the SP.

The 3A is not an easy jump and sometimes you have to break it down for a while before it clicks. We saw that with Ross Miner with his 3A a few seasons ago. Jason himself said he finally felt at ease (i.e. no UR/two-foots/DG) with the jump last Wednesday, so I'm not surprised that he wasn't absolutely perfect in the attempts.

I think Jason and his team know what they have to do next. I expect improvement at Nationals and JW.

Thanks Mrs. P...I was just coming hear to mention the short. It's good to know he's done it so I'm happy for him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
From the sound of the icenetwork article, both Jason and Joshua seem very grounded and realistic about their skating and expectations at this point. Jason seems aware that even the junior international scene has become so competitive that he needs to be going for the 3a to have a good shot at medalling, and Josh seems to know that getting the 4t out there is necessary for him to get used to if he wants to have a good run in seasons. They also seem to be taking the results in stride, I like how Josh said the final was just the icing on the cake, and how he was happy that he improved his placement and score from last season despite skating a little worse.

I don't think either of those two are really gunning to make the 2014 Olympic team, I mean, maybe if we get 3 spots and Johnny and Evan don't come back or don't do so convincingly, they'd have an outside shot to make it, mostly Josh because his 3a is solid and he's getting the 4t out there and seems to be good about rotating it at least. But in the grand scheme of things, both guys probably plan to jump to senior internationally next season and then try to make the 2018 Olympics, so there's plenty of time for them to grow and develop. For now they both seem to be in a good place, and the mistakes here should mean they go into Nationals hungry to do better!

Most of the top guys in the US right now, and even internationally with Fernandez and Brezina, were not as strong as most of this junior men's field at the same age, so there's no rush. Plus who knows how important the quad will be in 3 years time. If anything, I feel bad for Kovtun as there is likely going to be a lot of pressure and expectations on him now to "save" Russian men's skating and get rushed to senior events at such a young age. Plus I feel like he'll udergo some body changes in the future, he's built like a waify reed currently and filling out could affect his jumps (perhaps positively, perhaps negatively). Huge talent though, hope it gets nurtured well and the Russian Fed/pressure/expectations don't go to his head and hurt his confidence.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If anything, I feel bad for Kovtun as there is likely going to be a lot of pressure and expectations on him now to "save" Russian men's skating and get rushed to senior events at such a young age. Plus I feel like he'll udergo some body changes in the future, he's built like a waify reed currently and filling out could affect his jumps (perhaps positively, perhaps negatively). Huge talent though, hope it gets nurtured well and the Russian Fed/pressure/expectations don't go to his head and hurt his confidence.

some competitions in Junior Nationals will be a test for him, he will compete against Petrov who can challenge him as possible Junior National Champion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALyrRAbzdTQ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wanc3-fd9do also good in stepsq and nice 3A's

so hopefully pressure wont be too much for him ala Gachinski