2012 GPF Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Short Program

And I'm saying that statement "When Patrick gets his act together, this program will be impossible to beat" is a truism.

Well, Patrick has his work cut out for him. I do think that this Elegy SP is a potential 100 point program. if he doesn't have it mastered by worlds I wouldn't mind if he kept it for the Olympic season. One thing for him to work on is his spins, IMHO.

lavender

Record Breaker
Well, Patrick has his work cut out for him. I do think that this Elegy SP is a potential 100 point program. if he doesn't have it mastered by worlds I wouldn't mind if he kept it for the Olympic season. One thing for him to work on is his spins, IMHO.

I was thinking about this program and wondering if he might keep it for next season.

I just want to say how proud and am of the skills that Jeff has in putting such program together. Love that Jeff Buttle.

LRK

Record Breaker
I was thinking about this program and wondering if he might keep it for next season.

I just want to say how proud and am of the skills that Jeff has in putting such program together. Love that Jeff Buttle.

Hasn't he said that he intends to keep both programmes?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

That was what Rosie Dimanno wrote in her article. There was no direct quote from Patrick Chan. So one cannot be 100% sure.

Last edited:

pitterpatter

On the Ice

Yeah I think he is. I personally don't like it when skaters recycle programs though, even if the program is a good one. He'll have performed this at least 6 times by season's end, and he doesn't actually have much to build on by skating it 6 more times - its mostly just the technical stuff, which happens in any program. By that time I'm ready for something fresh, and someone like Patrick really shouldn't be playing it safe by keeping a program. With his skills he's got a lot to offer, he just needs to challenge himself. It just seems like a real waste that we only get to see new programs from him every two seasons.

herios

Medalist
Yeah I think he is. I personally don't like it when skaters recycle programs though, even if the program is a good one. He'll have performed this at least 6 times by season's end, and he doesn't actually have much to build on by skating it 6 more times - its mostly just the technical stuff, which happens in any program. By that time I'm ready for something fresh, and someone like Patrick really shouldn't be playing it safe by keeping a program. With his skills he's got a lot to offer, he just needs to challenge himself. It just seems like a real waste that we only get to see new programs from him every two seasons.

You took it right from my mouth. I was a fan of his back 4 years ago, but when he started keeping ALL his programs for 2 seasons, I started to root for others.
I finally like his choices again, I pray he'll come up ith other stuff next year.
He actually stated this year he wants to develop artistically. May I ask, ho he can do that skating for the same programs over and over again???

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil

How do you possible justify the highest performance / execution mark for Chan? You can't if you have eyes. #GPF12

Michael Yerxa ‏@mikeyerxa

@olyphil At this point it can't surprise you though Phil. This judging happens competition after competition.

16h lambkd lambkd ‏@lambkd

@olyphil chan-flation is getting to a point where I find men's events unbearable. I have to NOT look at scores and standings.

@olyphil Why does it surprise you? It happens all the time. You saw what happened in Nice last season!

Mike ‏@AGoodSpirit

@olyphil hope this doesn't repeat itself at worlds in london!!

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil

Which makes skating a joke. RT @NadiaLee: @olyphil Kozuka is underrated. Prolly due to the domestic push for Dai & Hanyu

16h Philip Hersh Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil

and chan is second. ludicrous.

16h Philip Hersh Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil

chan should be 4th....lets see...

Peter Murray ‏@blazingblades

Chan - no Triple triple combo and a step out on the tail end. inflation now will be judging scandal worthy of full investigation

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Actually, the requirement for a jump combination in the SP is a minimum of one triple and one double jump - it doesn't matter which one is first or second.
Yeah, thanks to that I could observe the combo from Chan that Katarina Witt could do 30 years ago when I wasn't even born. Why no world record for that? :laugh:
Not any different than if I type "flat Earth" into Google, I'd find a lot of people, even a whole association of people who are convinced that Earth is really flat too. :laugh:
Great to see that you are so desperate to google for "flat earth" in order to make a "point". Actually, I somehow understand and pity you. True. Patrick said that Plu is like a royalty in Russia. By this he admitted that he is a nobody in his home country. Not a surprise that his fans are so angry that the only "humour" that they could come up with is to dismiss public opinion. The result is well-known: low popularity of this sport. Well-done work, guys! The only thing that I don't understadn is why ISU keeps doing everything they could to make things ever worser than they already are. For the sake of self-admitted "Mr. Nobody"? Oh, well. That's funny indeed. :biggrin:

figuristka

Medalist
I really enjoyed the commentary of the British commentator's during Patrick's performance. I think those who really know skating appreciate those qualities Patrick does so well, its almost like he floats on the ice.His fault is he makes it look too easy. Something that was said about Gordeeva and Grinkov. I don't think he is invincible though, but a near perfect Patrick would be hard to beat. I don't think his short at GPF was as relaxed as Rostelecom and his camel was slightly off when he changes to a forward camel. I really don't think there is such a thing as inflation but qualityflation.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I really enjoyed the commentary of the British commentator's during Patrick's performance.
Not any different than if I type "flat Earth" into Google, I'd find a lot of people, even a whole association of people who are convinced that Earth is really flat too. :rofl:

PS. Pardon, dear figuristka. But this ^ stupid argument orginally came from Chan uber mouth. ;)

figuristka

Medalist
Not any different than if I type "flat Earth" into Google, I'd find a lot of people, even a whole association of people who are convinced that Earth is really flat too. :rofl:

Iam sure people know the balance, flow, sureness, speed, direction, abilities of the World, oops i mean Patrick's SS ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I came here to say that:

1. The Japanese men should swap music with one another.
2. The scoring is getting ridiculous. It used to be that one actually had to skate well and without any serious mistakes to get into the upper 80s.
3. I don't share the enthusiasm for Chan's SP, mostly because I still his strengths lie on the technical side of things and not in the interpretation. But I do like it better than his Nichol programs. Buttle is a very promising choreographer. Also, his music hurts neither my ears nor my soul, which is more than can be said for some people in the GPF.
4. With so many strong skaters, it's becoming about who can best check of as many bullet points and rack up points, and there are only so many ways to do so. I was bored watching most of it.
5. Dai should go back to last year's programs which are much much much better.
6. Don't feed the trolls.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Iam sure people know the balance, flow, sureness, speed, direction, abilities of the World, oops i mean Patrick's SS ;)
I am sure they (people) also know that other skaters have these qualities too. But besides that they have performance skills, charisma, connection with the audience, great musicality and good personalities that make them not to badmouth about their rivals. And in addtiotion to all this, they normally don't zamboni ice with their butts multiples times, don't double their jumps and don't end up 3T-3T or 2L-3T ladies' combo getting abnormal score for that. And, which is more importatnt, they are adored in their home countries, gather crowds worldwide leaving some fake champions' fans dying of green envy (judigng by their commnets). :laugh:

Leonardo

Final Flight
I am sure they (people) also know that other skaters have these qualities too. But besides that they have performance skills, charisma, connection with the audience, great musicality and good personalities that make them not to badmouth about their rivals. And in addtiotion to all this, they normally don't zamboni ice with their butts multiples times, don't double their jumps and don't end up 3T-3T or 2L-3T ladies' combo getting abnormal score for that. And, which is more importatnt, they are adored in their home countries, gather crowds worldwide leaving some fake champions' fans dying of green envy (judigng by their commnets). :laugh:

Totally agree.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I am warming towards Chan this season. I like his programmes. In his SP he uses his skating skills to achieve this sense of legato upon which the music is superimposed and I really love the effect.
Men's field this season is the most fertile. I love watching them all, they are all on upward curves.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Ah well, it seems a tad bit high scoring for some of the splats and stumbles. Seems quite a few skaters were tight and had a bit more unmanageable nerves than usual across disciplines here. Maybe they were all thinking a bit too much of the Sochi venue being where the Olympics will take place in a little over a year from now. IMO, the video and audio transmission was very poor (at least from many of the clips I've seen).

Fab program though for masterful Dai (aside from the slow spins). Dai accurately in first place. I too agree with those who feel Taka Kozuka should most definitely have been in front of Hanyu. With his stuffed bear Pooh, Hanyu reminds me of Tiger Woods' stuffed animal fetish, and that's where the comparison ends pretty much as golf and figure skating are nothing alike. Of course Hanyu is also precocious in what he does as was Tiger at a young age. However, I think that in fs there is a bit too much awestruck frenzy over Hanyu. When he's good, he's good and when he's sloppy, he's messy. Even though he does have something special, I think Hanyu needs more seasoning overall, and he's at this point IMO over-rated on PCS.

This competition in all disciplines shows something about the difficulty inherent in being a figure skater. The current judging system still needs a lot of tweaking, IMO in order to not add so much to the complexities of this sport.

And last but not least, kudos to Chan for his efforts to work more on artistry this season. I think he is admirably (if somewhat ickily) very loyal to his (dance) coach (who is also of course the mother of his current girlfriend). He does seem to have a great connection with Kathy Johnson. Much to admire in Chan's talents, including how quickly he learned quads, his blade mastery and his flow over the ice. Although I can appreciate Chan more overall (again now that the judges aren't going blimey gaga all the time over him whether he's good or bad) and I do enjoy his programs this season, I find something a bit of him almost trying too hard to show how "artistic" he can be in his skating. I don't really feel a sense of soulful connection with who he is as a person and a skater in the same way I do with Dai, Jeremy, Michelle Kwan, and other skaters I am more in love with.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I came here to say that:

1. The Japanese men should swap music with one another.
You think? :) Honestly for me the best sp of the season is by Kozuka, his music choice and the way he skates, he looks like an elf flying. I just rewatch it again and again from Skate America.