Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Johnny Weir out for rest of 2012-2013 season

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,192

    Johnny Weir out for rest of 2012-2013 season

    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48764&type=media
    "It is with deep regret that I announce my withdrawal from the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships," Weir said. "Since my return to competition this fall, I have worked very hard to compete this season with many obstacles and detours, but I made good on my promise to return to competition and I am very proud of that. My performances so far have not been to my satisfaction and, combined with the stress of competing, I feel that I need to take a step back, prepare more and be ready for the Olympic season beginning next fall."

  2. #2
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    18

    Question How injured is Weir?

    As you see in my "title" box . . . exactly how injured is Weir? And do you think the scare he took in Russia (by all accounts, getting home again after an aborted TV appearance showcasing his marriage was abruptly canceled took a lot out of him) has anything to do with this?

    If Weir is being cautious in the same way Evan Lysacek appears to be -- and for the same reasons -- well, then that's sensible. Weir still has time to get himself in shape if he hustles. (As does Lysacek, providing that's what he wants.)

    So shutting himself down now to get physical therapy and appropriate rehab and rest would be sensible.

    But if this is because Weir knows he still doesn't have the quad down pat and he doesn't want to make a fool out of himself, I don't know what to think of that -- excepting that when Weir's on, his triple axel is a thing of beauty. And to my mind, I'd rather see two beautiful triple Axels (in combo or out of it) than an imperfect quad toe any day of the week (though I respect him mightily for trying).

    IOW, I wouldn't try to make myself something I'm not, were I Weir. He is a brilliant skater when he is on, and he's still good (but slow) when he's off. (I wish *I* had ever been so "slow," but that's beside the point.) Reinventing the wheel doesn't seem to make much sense at this point, so if I were him, I'd concentrate on what he does well plus getting all those transitional elements the judges love so much into the mix.

    And if the quad toe works, wonderful. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't.

    Also, some skaters have found that for some reason a different quad jump is easier than the quad toe loop. I don't know how likely it is that Weir would want to try a quad salchow. (I don't know how strong that particular jump is for him, especially due to the recent hip injury.) But maybe fooling around with it might help his quad toe in some way . . . just random thoughts. (Take 'em if they work for you; if not, throw 'em out and I won't be offended.)


  3. #3
    Custom Title Kitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbC View Post
    As you see in my "title" box . . . exactly how injured is Weir? And do you think the scare he took in Russia (by all accounts, getting home again after an aborted TV appearance showcasing his marriage was abruptly canceled took a lot out of him) has anything to do with this?

    If Weir is being cautious in the same way Evan Lysacek appears to be -- and for the same reasons -- well, then that's sensible. Weir still has time to get himself in shape if he hustles. (As does Lysacek, providing that's what he wants.)

    So shutting himself down now to get physical therapy and appropriate rehab and rest would be sensible.

    But if this is because Weir knows he still doesn't have the quad down pat and he doesn't want to make a fool out of himself, I don't know what to think of that -- excepting that when Weir's on, his triple axel is a thing of beauty. And to my mind, I'd rather see two beautiful triple Axels (in combo or out of it) than an imperfect quad toe any day of the week (though I respect him mightily for trying).

    IOW, I wouldn't try to make myself something I'm not, were I Weir. He is a brilliant skater when he is on, and he's still good (but slow) when he's off. (I wish *I* had ever been so "slow," but that's beside the point.) Reinventing the wheel doesn't seem to make much sense at this point, so if I were him, I'd concentrate on what he does well plus getting all those transitional elements the judges love so much into the mix.

    And if the quad toe works, wonderful. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't.

    Also, some skaters have found that for some reason a different quad jump is easier than the quad toe loop. I don't know how likely it is that Weir would want to try a quad salchow. (I don't know how strong that particular jump is for him, especially due to the recent hip injury.) But maybe fooling around with it might help his quad toe in some way . . . just random thoughts. (Take 'em if they work for you; if not, throw 'em out and I won't be offended.)
    I really like your post, Barb C. Welcome to GoldenSkate!

    It makes me sad for many reasons....I wonder how injured he is. It's obviously he gave this a lot of thought. Well, at least he's appearing on the Today show Dec. 21.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,785
    Too bad - he has a lot to offer and maybe he will come back next season.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbC View Post
    Also, some skaters have found that for some reason a different quad jump is easier than the quad toe loop. I don't know how likely it is that Weir would want to try a quad salchow. (I don't know how strong that particular jump is for him, especially due to the recent hip injury.) But maybe fooling around with it might help his quad toe in some way . . . just random thoughts. (Take 'em if they work for you; if not, throw 'em out and I won't be offended.)
    This is an interesting point. Considering his beautiful triple axle, I wonder how comfortable a Salchow is for him. There are a few overlaps in the techniques of the jumps and it could make for a strong Salchow. I wonder if he's attemtped the quad Salchow much.

  6. #6
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,216
    While I didn't think he'd make the team, I am disappointed to not see Johnny skate at Nationals. I think he really needs to question why he wants to compete - is it because he misses the limelight/name recognition or because he misses competing. Johnny never really struck me has having a strong competitive drive during his last couple of seasons IMHO and perhaps hampered by injury.

    I've already seen commercials where he will be competing on Rachel vs Guy's celebrity cook-off that begins January 6th. Note: I believe this has already been taped.

    http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/...urns-season-2/
    Last edited by heyang; 12-08-2012 at 11:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    51
    I don't understand the 'need' to come back. For Johnny, I think his need to come back came from the fans and his husband. The 'need' must come from Johnny 110%. I believe Johnny has more to give in the entertainment side of skating and just have fun with his celebrity staus.

  8. #8
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    I thought as much. If he returns next season (which I'd be very surprised to see) - his second comback is gonna look just the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    This is an interesting point. Considering his beautiful triple axle, I wonder how comfortable a Salchow is for him. There are a few overlaps in the techniques of the jumps and it could make for a strong Salchow. I wonder if he's attemtped the quad Salchow much.
    I remember watching Johnny at some old Russian Gran-Prix event, when he still was with Priscilla, and TAT was commenting, and she said: "Johnny does two different quads in practice, toe and salchow, but his character blocks him from taking advantage of it".

    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I think he really needs to question why he wants to compete - is it because he misses the limelight/name recognition or because he misses competing.
    I again remembered one thing I watched - in his show, Be Good Johnny Weir, was this scene where Galina criticized him in practice and compared him with Baiul and to his advantage... And Johnny's comment was, if I remember it right, 'I don't like to be compared to anybody, it doesn't light a fire in me to prove myself' - I remembered that because hearing such a confession from an athlete was weird... What is a sports competition if not a comparison of athletes? And to be honest - Johnny's competitive history shows pretty clearly that he is not indeed a great competitor. And it's exactly, I think, what Tarasova meant by the above comment.
    I think he returned to gain a little more media attention, maybe the amount of invitations to skating shows began to decline, I don't know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    True that Yuna's comeback is amazing, but remember that Yuna was like the best jumper when she was competing, capable of 3 different types of triple-triple combinations (3T/3T, 3F/3T, 3Lz/3T), and she can execute lutz & flip correctly, not to mention the crazy height & distance her jumps got.

    She landed a triple lutz jump in August in some ice show in Korea in August despite the teeny rink, so obviously she still had all her jumps when she decided to return to competition. I'm not sure if Evan and Johnny still have consistent 3A, 3Lz & 3F, etc.
    I think Yuna knew that she's going to try two Olympic titles. I think she carefully maintained her shape, and I doubt that the only jump she made in shows was triple toe, like in some other skaters' cases. On the other hand, by not competing she maybe saved herself from new injuries... She's very smart, that's why her costumes and her skating are so amazing))

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    How could Evan relive his old glory if he couldn't win?
    I think Evan could win... This Gran-Prix final gave me some thoughts - I saw lack of clean performances. And that's the door open for great competitors like Evan or Plushy, since they can deliver a clean performance under pressure. But unfortunately, Evan does have injuries and a triple axel problem, so... His win and successful return is unlikely I think
    Last edited by adamanna; 12-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,290
    I hope Johnny will be able to comeback, but, I suspect, he will have as many comebacks as Liza Minnelli has had.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799

    Not surprised. I was very skeptical about his return will be sucessful. At least he gave it a shot.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    thanks for posting this, Mrs. P.

    I too was skeptical about his return, but despite withdrawing this Fall, it appeared he was really going to try to go to Nationals and I guess I feel somewhat surprised, but not totally surprised, by this announcement. I think the surprise is more about what isn't said - injury, and more about what the poster above might be getting at, which includes not being ready I suppose to contend for a medal.

    I have very mixed feelings about these comebacks....and this gives me more to think about and be confused about!

    But, I agree that when Weir was in his prime, his 3A was truly gorgeous. Sadly, I don't think we saw much of that in his last two competitive years of skating pre-comeback. But, I would love to see it again!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,723
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Not surprised. I was very skeptical about his return will be sucessful. At least he gave it a shot.
    Yep, kudos to him for trying. I think with all of the celebrity treatment he gets now it is going to be difficult to balance all that with the training to be an elite athlete.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I doubt he will continue his comeback any further. This is the first step to quietly ending things rather finishing 8th or 9th at Nationals and having to qualify possibly next year. I never thought his comeback had a hope of being remotedly successful personally. Too many factors against him (age, time away from competing, COP unfriendly skating, no quad, not a judges favorite, not a USFSA favorite).

  14. #14
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Sad, but glad that he's determined to challenge himself further

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,723
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Too many factors against him (age, time away from competing, COP unfriendly skating, no quad, not a judges favorite, not a USFSA favorite).
    ITA. At least he has the goods to be a great show skater, which will allow him to earn a living touring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •