Johnny Weir out for rest of 2012-2013 season | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir out for rest of 2012-2013 season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48764&type=media
"It is with deep regret that I announce my withdrawal from the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships," Weir said. "Since my return to competition this fall, I have worked very hard to compete this season with many obstacles and detours, but I made good on my promise to return to competition and I am very proud of that. My performances so far have not been to my satisfaction and, combined with the stress of competing, I feel that I need to take a step back, prepare more and be ready for the Olympic season beginning next fall."

BarbC

Rinkside
How injured is Weir?

As you see in my "title" box . . . exactly how injured is Weir? And do you think the scare he took in Russia (by all accounts, getting home again after an aborted TV appearance showcasing his marriage was abruptly canceled took a lot out of him) has anything to do with this?

If Weir is being cautious in the same way Evan Lysacek appears to be -- and for the same reasons -- well, then that's sensible. Weir still has time to get himself in shape if he hustles. (As does Lysacek, providing that's what he wants.)

So shutting himself down now to get physical therapy and appropriate rehab and rest would be sensible.

But if this is because Weir knows he still doesn't have the quad down pat and he doesn't want to make a fool out of himself, I don't know what to think of that -- excepting that when Weir's on, his triple axel is a thing of beauty. And to my mind, I'd rather see two beautiful triple Axels (in combo or out of it) than an imperfect quad toe any day of the week (though I respect him mightily for trying).

IOW, I wouldn't try to make myself something I'm not, were I Weir. He is a brilliant skater when he is on, and he's still good (but slow) when he's off. (I wish *I* had ever been so "slow," but that's beside the point.) Reinventing the wheel doesn't seem to make much sense at this point, so if I were him, I'd concentrate on what he does well plus getting all those transitional elements the judges love so much into the mix.

And if the quad toe works, wonderful. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't.

Also, some skaters have found that for some reason a different quad jump is easier than the quad toe loop. I don't know how likely it is that Weir would want to try a quad salchow. (I don't know how strong that particular jump is for him, especially due to the recent hip injury.) But maybe fooling around with it might help his quad toe in some way . . . just random thoughts. (Take 'em if they work for you; if not, throw 'em out and I won't be offended.)

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for posting this, Mrs. P.

I too was skeptical about his return, but despite withdrawing this Fall, it appeared he was really going to try to go to Nationals and I guess I feel somewhat surprised, but not totally surprised, by this announcement. I think the surprise is more about what isn't said - injury, and more about what the poster above might be getting at, which includes not being ready I suppose to contend for a medal.

I have very mixed feelings about these comebacks....and this gives me more to think about and be confused about!

But, I agree that when Weir was in his prime, his 3A was truly gorgeous. Sadly, I don't think we saw much of that in his last two competitive years of skating pre-comeback. But, I would love to see it again!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not surprised. I was very skeptical about his return will be sucessful. At least he gave it a shot.

Yep, kudos to him for trying. I think with all of the celebrity treatment he gets now it is going to be difficult to balance all that with the training to be an elite athlete.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I doubt he will continue his comeback any further. This is the first step to quietly ending things rather finishing 8th or 9th at Nationals and having to qualify possibly next year. I never thought his comeback had a hope of being remotedly successful personally. Too many factors against him (age, time away from competing, COP unfriendly skating, no quad, not a judges favorite, not a USFSA favorite).

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As you see in my "title" box . . . exactly how injured is Weir? And do you think the scare he took in Russia (by all accounts, getting home again after an aborted TV appearance showcasing his marriage was abruptly canceled took a lot out of him) has anything to do with this?

If Weir is being cautious in the same way Evan Lysacek appears to be -- and for the same reasons -- well, then that's sensible. Weir still has time to get himself in shape if he hustles. (As does Lysacek, providing that's what he wants.)

So shutting himself down now to get physical therapy and appropriate rehab and rest would be sensible.

But if this is because Weir knows he still doesn't have the quad down pat and he doesn't want to make a fool out of himself, I don't know what to think of that -- excepting that when Weir's on, his triple axel is a thing of beauty. And to my mind, I'd rather see two beautiful triple Axels (in combo or out of it) than an imperfect quad toe any day of the week (though I respect him mightily for trying).

IOW, I wouldn't try to make myself something I'm not, were I Weir. He is a brilliant skater when he is on, and he's still good (but slow) when he's off. (I wish *I* had ever been so "slow," but that's beside the point.) Reinventing the wheel doesn't seem to make much sense at this point, so if I were him, I'd concentrate on what he does well plus getting all those transitional elements the judges love so much into the mix.

And if the quad toe works, wonderful. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't.

Also, some skaters have found that for some reason a different quad jump is easier than the quad toe loop. I don't know how likely it is that Weir would want to try a quad salchow. (I don't know how strong that particular jump is for him, especially due to the recent hip injury.) But maybe fooling around with it might help his quad toe in some way . . . just random thoughts. (Take 'em if they work for you; if not, throw 'em out and I won't be offended.)

I really like your post, Barb C. Welcome to GoldenSkate!

It makes me sad for many reasons....I wonder how injured he is. It's obviously he gave this a lot of thought. Well, at least he's appearing on the Today show Dec. 21.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
ITA. At least he has the goods to be a great show skater, which will allow him to earn a living touring.

I'd agree with this, but there was a big thing right after the Olympics about ho SOI didn't invite him because he wasn't consid family-friendly enough. That isn't to say he would do well in international shows, but it's definitely a slap in the face.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SOI said he wouldnt meld well with their internal family, which considering at the time evan was on tour with them is not surprising.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I honestly think he's stopping this season because, after competing at a GP, he realizes he can't compete with the big guns right now. I think the withdrawal at his GP event was partly because of embarrassment. I'd be surprised to see him next season, either.

herios

Medalist
I honestly think he's stopping this season because, after competing at a GP, he realizes he can't compete with the big guns right now. I think the withdrawal at his GP event was partly because of embarrassment. I'd be surprised to see him next season, either.

I think you are right

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice

This is an interesting point. Considering his beautiful triple axle, I wonder how comfortable a Salchow is for him. There are a few overlaps in the techniques of the jumps and it could make for a strong Salchow. I wonder if he's attemtped the quad Salchow much.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd agree with this, but there was a big thing right after the Olympics about ho SOI didn't invite him because he wasn't consid family-friendly enough. That isn't to say he would do well in international shows, but it's definitely a slap in the face.

The world is changing for the better for openly gay people, so hopefully Johnny will be more embraced by the public in the future.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wise decision this time in order to avoid further embarrassment. I highly doubt he will come back next season. He won't make it to Sochi ice. He will continue to talk about his comeback next season though.;)

What is Evan thinking now after seeing Johnny's comeback journey?:p

Riemann

Rinkside
The world is changing for the better for openly gay people, so hopefully Johnny will be more embraced by the public in the future.

I think any recent concern from SOI over public response to Weir was likely based more on a misreading of public attitudes than reality itself.

Last edited:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
from http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121207&content_id=40568780&vkey=ice_news:

After seeing the level of my competitors and how much stronger I needed to be to be competitive, my original plan of competing just for my fans and myself changed. The level of competition has increased dramatically since I left the sport in 2010, and although I was prepared to the best of my abilities, competing relit the fire in me, not only to compete and perform but also to win. Winning takes greatness, and I hope with the time I'm allowing myself to improve my skills, I will return next fall with a clear shot at competing in the next Olympic Games as a favorite.

Okay, this part just confuses me... I think your original plan was a good one, Johnny. If you're going to come back, do it for yourself and for your fans, otherwise you could end up pretty disappointed.

Everettguy

Rinkside
It was exciting to see Johnny return this season and kudos to him for trying to get back in the game. However maybe he sees how hard it will be to get back to the top, the GPF final men's short program is perfect example of just how tough it's going to be for Johnny & Evan. 5 out of 6 men tried a quad and 4 landed them. The one guy that didn't try one is waaaaay back in
6th place.