Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai
    I will never understand why some people are so mean when a skater skates badly. (Mostly referring to Ashley here, but it truly is a generally applicable point).
    While I generally agree, I don't see Ashley getting any hate here - not even a lot of criticism.
    And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Ashley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.
    Last edited by Li'Kitsu; 12-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yu Na has almost always built up a big lead in the SP that has allowed her to make mistakes in the LP. Even a 6-7 point lead is difficult for someone else to overcome when Yu Na has her 3-3 and high PCS. I personally think that others are more expressive skaters, but her impressive jumping ability cannot be denied.
    No one was denying her jumping ability though. And even with her big leads, Yuna wasn't alwaysperfect; which was the point of ImaginaryPogue's post. One can argue that Yuna got her mistakes "out of the way" (among other factors) in the 2008-2009 GPF to win at 4CC and Worlds.

ANYWAY, like I said, not a Yuna thread!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father - prepare to die.

(Princess Bride fans unite. )
    United with you!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    While I generally agree, I don't see Ashley getting any hate here - not even a lot of criticism.
    And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Asgley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.

I agree on the pcs for Akiko.

Down With It
    Honestly, I feel as if Suzuki is kind of overrated here. (That said, I do think she should have won NHK.)

I'm just not sure I quite understand what everyone likes about her. I find her FS unremarkable and frankly a bit boring at parts.

Tripping on the Podium
    Congrats to Mao for sticking it out despite feeling like she couldn't push through during the warm-up! Proud of her!
    She still has room for improvement but did well anyway, which puts her in a good position for the rest of the season.
    I saw some audience members wiping away tears after her performance- that says it all

Funny...some of the previous posts made me feel like I was in a different competition thread

Hope Ashley isn't hurt from her fall, and am glad to see her and Akiko medal. Liza also did very well, and fought to the end.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Honestly, I feel as if Suzuki is kind of overrated here. (That said, I do think she should have won NHK.)

I'm just not sure I quite understand what everyone likes about her. I find her FS unremarkable and frankly a bit boring at parts.
    Have you ever seen Akiko skate live? If not, I can understand your lack of understanding. IMO, she's one of those skaters whose qualities don't come fully across on the screen. Regardless of program. She should have won NHK, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    And I have to say it feels kind of off. People were eating Osmond and Asada alive when they both beat Akiko for a gold medal - now even though both skated rather badly, Ashley just hung onto silver over Akiko by 1.16 points. 100% PCS made. And I don't agree that Asgley should be getting higher PCS than Akiko at all. But no one is complaining. Nice.
    I think a case could be made here for reversing the order of finish, Akiko in silver and Ashley with bronze. But with the flawed skates very close either way. I don't think there's a strong case for an Akiko-wuzrobbed here, though, not at this competition. And I'm an Akiko fan.

I am very proud of Ashley. Not for getting a silver, which is something to still be proud of, but for the fact that she stood up after that fall and kept going. That's my girl, and thats why I am so proud she is representing my country. It seemed like an error and fall that may be typical for that jump, so I don't thiiink she will be injured, but you can never be sure. I am excited for her to show her best at nationals and worlds! I have never been this excited for a girl who did not win. =] I see the argument that she won on PCS.....but I think she deserved that PCS boost. She sold that program like I have never seen, and I was amazed at how, after her pause on the ice, she picked herself up and she went with such speed!! There was no hesitation, and you could see that in how she skated to the music.

That's maturity, concentration and mental fortitude. No self-destruction like I dealt with in Cohen and Czisny. I have so much faith she will win her 2nd US Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    With all these posts about Yuna, it's It's like she's competing at the GPF!
    We can tell the difference because in that B event in Germany the top three all did a triple-triple in the short program.

Custom Title
    ^ouch but you mad me laugh!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    We can tell the difference because in that B event in Germany the top three all did a triple-triple in the short program.
    lol, Mathman, sad but true!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You did it again

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    any news as to if Ashley was seriously injured in her fall. She kept grabbing her hip, even in the k&C.
    According to her twitter, US team doctor diagnosed her injury as "hip pointer" although I don't know what that is and neither does Ashley. She also says it hurts and nothing more on what kind of prognosis this injury has.

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    According to her twitter, US team doctor diagnosed her injury as "hip pointer" although I don't know what that is and neither does Ashley. She also says it hurts and nothing more on what kind of prognosis this injury has.
    It is NOT serious in the long term and a full recovery is made almost 100% of the time. However, it can take up to 6 weeks to heal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_pointer

My goodness! This is one of the most painful injuries in sports. Basically, its a bruised bone. The pain can be incapcitating. How in the world could she get up and finish her program, throwing in a triple flip along the way?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast