2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Ladies' Free Skate LP

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I'm kind of glad it [Wagner's mistakes] happened now. As we know she can't be perfect all the time. Hope that's out of the way now and peak at National and World.

this

Last edited:

Kelly

On the Ice
Congrats to the medalists! I'm glad Mao overcame her difficuties and won gold, especially considering the fact that before the LP she was considering withdrawing because of her hip injury (and the pain making it difficult for her to skate).

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20121208-00000106-spnannex-spo
Short summary by silenceisgolden from BoI:

I'm also happy for Liza. :)

But Mao's performance here is powerful to me. I admire her. She is a great athlete.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I knew top 3 would be secure but this was not good to watch at all.
Asada is the only one who brought it and I kinda wish korpi was on the podium.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I mean, how dare the ladies have a bad event. Don't they know that anonymous internet commentators will bash them for all their hardwork and effort if they don't produce perfection every time!?!?!?!?!

Reginald

Match Penalty
So proud of Ashley. What a courageous young lady after that hard fall on dbl axel. Her conditioning is superb. I'm kind of glad it happened now. As we know she can't be perfect all the time. Hope that's out of the way now and peak at National and World.

Ashley's poor performance is not good news for Ashley fans. A poor performance is not a "glad I got the splaterfest out the way" kind of thing.

When Julia Lipnitskaia made mistakes at the Cup of China, I was told, "Oh, its good for her to get the mistakes out of the way."
She went on to make more mistakes at TEB.

You never "get mistakes out of the way." Skaters can be perfect all the time. Look at Yu-Na Kim 2008-2010. Look at Sonja Henie 1928-1936.

A skater can make an unlimited number of mistakes. They are not some kind of quota that you "get out of the way."

I am sorry. I don't mean to sound negative; I just wanted to correct this fallacy.

bluesky85

On the Ice
Oh Ashley :( I feared she was going to lose momentum if she skated badly at the final. Surprised at the fall on the salchow, but then again it's her least favourite jump. But the axel, I wasn't surprised she fell, she had so little speed going into it that it was doomed to be underrotated. But wow I literally screamed when it looked like she wasn't going to get up. MAJOR PROPS for landing that flip; I was wondering the whole time during the steps whether she was still going to attempt it or not and she did it so very well. I believe a little extra pcs were given for her courage, because her performance during the steps was otherwise very hesitant.

I really really hope the fall won't result in a serious injury for her! Happy she's still got silver, that in itself is a huge accomplishment.

Asada; happy to see her skate well, but... It's becoming a bit of a tradition to cry 'overscored' for every Lady's win this season, but I feel I need to say it; nearly 130 for that? Undoubtedly the deserved winner of the night. Huge score to warn Yuna?

I agree... I was a bit puzzled by the whole event. With Ashley falling twice, Akiko popping and falling, Asada was a deserved winner, but then, the score is too high for three clean triples one fully rotated triple with an edge call, two under-rotated triples... and she gets 129... I don't argue that she is an artistic and beautiful skater with amazing spins and footwork, but 129 is a bit too high... I would have given the program about 123-124.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Reginald, that quote is wrongfully attributed to me. I did not actually say that, although I mentioned I agreed with the latter (bolded) part of it

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
You never "get mistakes out of the way." Skaters can be perfect all the time. Look at Yu-Na Kim 2008-2010. Look at Sonja Henie 1928-1936.

A skater can make an unlimited number of mistakes. They are not some kind of quota that you "get out of the way."

I am sorry. I don't mean to sound negative; I just wanted to correct this fallacy.

Wait- Kim was perfect from 2008 to 2010? 2009: TEB LP she utterly omitted the flip, SA LP was a meltdown (that was actually scored lower Wagner's LP here) and she wasn't great at the GPF as well. And she went onto have her best skate ever at the most important competition of her career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I wouldn't say it was all that courageous but good try. She was the maker of her own misfortune; I am shocked I thought her nerves were so under control. I guess even she is human but that sets her up for world's nicely and certainly national. Mao maybe happy but she has to know Yuna is back and there is going to be trouble if her short program is any indication. Yuna is untouchable tripe lutz tripe toe, triple flip, 2a wow!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley's poor performance is not good news for Ashley fans. A poor performance is not a "glad I got the splaterfest out the way" kind of thing.

And also, I am aware of this. That is why US Nationals will be so critical for her to get back on her feet - but she must defend a title in the process. I do not envy her (position) right now, that's for sure.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
What?
lol, I didn't bash the ladies it was a disappointing comp. to watch
Wagner and Suzuki have skated their programs clean back to back in the grand prix.
I thought they were prepared to do it again. Still though, nobody has peaked and maybe they were nervous or felt some pressure.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I will never understand why some people are so mean when a skater skates badly. (Mostly referring to Ashley here, but it truly is a generally applicable point).

emma

Record Breaker
And also, I am aware of this. That is why US Nationals will be so critical for her to get back on her feet - but she must defend a title in the process. I do not envy her (position) right now, that's for sure.

I know - and I don't envy her either! But, I'd love to see her knock it out of the park :)

I haven't watched the LPs yet - can't quite bring myself to do it - I hate knowing that Akiko had a good short but problems in the Long especially after he last GP with that lovely LP; and then Ashley not skating clean (or landing the jumps) after two great GP events - and then to read that it was a hard fall....

Congrats, though, to the medalists and I'm very happy to read that Mao skated well!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say it was all that courageous but good try. She was the maker of her own misfortune; I am shocked I thought her nerves were so under control. I guess even she is human but that sets her up for world's nicely and certainly national. Mao maybe happy but she has to know Yuna is back and there is going to be trouble if her short program is any indication. Yuna is untouchable tripe lutz tripe toe, triple flip, 2a wow!

I only agreed with the bolded, not the "courageous" part. I should have been more clear

I disagree with it "setting her up nicely" for nats/worlds though. Bad performances NEVER set one up well. However, maybe we'll see what she is made of, and if she is a fighter, perhaps we have not seen her best yet.

lavender

Record Breaker
Ashley's going to win Nationals. I mean really, who else is going to win Nationals. She's the only one that's getting the scores internationally.