Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 269

Thread: 2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

  1. #121
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Yuzuru never was japanese number one in my books. He is still just a prince for me. Long live the KING!!!!

  2. #122
    Custom Title starryxskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by rosacotton View Post
    But Patrick had about 9 points on him after the short (and was ahead of Hanyu, too), and after the free just 0.04 ahead.
    I'm saying how it's not right to say Javi deserved silver because he didn't based on his SP mistakes. Hanyu (the silver medalist) had 7pts on him going into the FS and I wouldn't say he made up for that much in his FS. Bronze, yes I also wish he kicked PChiddy out of that position. Unfortunate that it was so close between them.

  3. #123
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I never made the argument that Zayak-ing or Oda-ing was a PCS error. It is a MAJOR technical error though in the rule book. mylastduchess is the one who brought up PCS in reply to my comment.
    Color me puzzled. Reading the comments, mylastduchess is calling ptf a hypocrite for complaining about Chan's PCS and not Dai's PCS despite having errors - he's only talking about PCS. Your response is to bring up Chan's huge TES error, conflating the two. Can you explain what I'm missing?

    re: Fernandez' PCS relative to Hanyu
    I can see why someone would think that, but I do know that Hanyu ticks the PCS boxes quite effectively. I don't love what he does, though.

  4. #124
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    241
    Congratulations to all the medalists!!
    It was an very exciting event, I can't sleep tonight.
    I'm very happy for Daisuke to be the first Japanese skater who won GPF!!

    And Hanyu's stamina is increasing

  5. #125
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Congratulations to Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan!

    I have to agree with some posters here that, aside from Finlandia, Hanyu has yet to skate a clean FS this season. It's clearly a taxing program, especially for someone with asthma, and I think it's the main reason why he struggles to hold onto his lead after the SP (SA, anyone?). Hopefully he and Orser will work on conserving the energy for those final jumping passes/spins from now until March--barring injury, I see no reason why he wouldn't be at Worlds.

  6. #126
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Wow Little Yuzu, how much energy from yesterday birthday cake!!!!

    Congrat to Dai and Javi and expecially to Mao!! What a memorable day !

  7. #127
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Color me puzzled. Reading the comments, mylastduchess is calling ptf a hypocrite for complaining about Chan's PCS and not Dai's PCS despite having errors - he's only talking about PCS. Your response is to bring up Chan's huge TES error, conflating the two. Can you explain what I'm missing?
    My response was in reply to a poster who said that Takahashi and Chan made the same amount of technical mistakes. Takahashi did not Zayak or Oda, so I was pointing out that Chan's technical mistakes were more grave than those of Takahashi's. I never brought subjective PCS into the discussion. I certainly have not defended Takahashi's PCS or wins this season as I've pointed out on numerous occasions that I think his programs this season are totally beneath his skating abilities. Besides, Chan still has the highest PCS of any competitor in this event, so I'm not sure why PCS robbery from Chan fans is entering the conversation.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 12-08-2012 at 11:40 AM.

  8. #128
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,198
    Just realized that a Japanese man has won the silver medal at the GPF for seven straight years:

    2006: Daisuke Takahashi
    2007: Daisuke Takahashi
    2008: Takahiko Kozuka
    2009: Nobunari Oda
    2010: Nobunari Oda
    2011: Daisuke Takahashi
    2012: Yuzuru Hanyu

    And Daisuke is both the first Japanese man to medal at the GPF (2005, bronze) and the first to win the gold (this year, obviously).

  9. #129
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    My response was in reply to a poster who said that Takahashi and Chan made the same amount of technical mistakes. Takahashi did not Zayak or Oda, so I was pointing out that Chan's technical mistakes were more grave than those of Takahashi's. I never brought subjective PCS into the discussion. I certainly have not defended Takahashi's PCS or wins this season as I've pointed out on numerous occasions that I think his programs this season are totally beneath his skating abilities.
    Still confused, but I'll assume I'm just misunderstanding something.

    evangeline, as if we needed more evidence of the ridiculous depth of the Japanese men. It's even more astonishing when you consider that the guy that won bronze in 2005 is the guy that won today, and none of the other skaters have stopped competing!

  10. #130
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Daisuke won? Yippee!!!!

    But it certainly sounds like a lackluster skate for everyone. Could it be the ice? Look at the ladies' competition also. No one seems to have done his or her best.

    Pogue, your observation is amazing. Daisuke and the others certainly prove the strength of the Japanese men.

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Congratulations to Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan!

    I have to agree with some posters here that, aside from Finlandia, Hanyu has yet to skate a clean FS this season. It's clearly a taxing program, especially for someone with asthma, and I think it's the main reason why he struggles to hold onto his lead after the SP (SA, anyone?). Hopefully he and Orser will work on conserving the energy for those final jumping passes/spins from now until March--barring injury, I see no reason why he wouldn't be at Worlds.
    I think Yuzuru was just as if not more 'clean' than the other skaters today. Have any of these men skated a totally clean FS yet this season? These top guys have so much content and difficulty in their programs, it'd be pretty amazing if they did go 100% clean.

  12. #132
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Just realized that a Japanese man has won the silver medal at the GPF for seven straight years:

    2006: Daisuke Takahashi
    2007: Daisuke Takahashi
    2008: Takahiko Kozuka
    2009: Nobunari Oda
    2010: Nobunari Oda
    2011: Daisuke Takahashi
    2012: Yuzuru Hanyu

    And Daisuke is both the first Japanese man to medal at the GPF (2005, bronze) and the first to win the gold (this year, obviously).
    Okay so Japan was the Surya Bonaly; the Kira ivanova the Susan Lucci for a few years lol.

  13. #133
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,687
    Nice skate by Fernandez and the Prince and Tak. Chan is in big trouble. PCS and TES -boy he needs to get those elements done - nothing is as smooth - maybe he should give in and get a coach and we all know who. Kathy Johnson hasn't helped his PCS enough to compensate for TES.

  14. #134
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,041
    Glad Dai won and that Chan medal. I had a feeling that my Dai and Chan wouldn't skate up to their potential here for some reason. My poor Taka.

  15. #135
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,618
    I'm very thrilled for Dai, congrats to him and the other medalists. I so terribly miss Dai's programs from last year and sort of wish he could have won GPF with those (it's like when a great actor finally gets an Oscar for something, but it's not your favorite performance by him/her). But, again, so very happy for him and I really hope this gives him great confidence for nationals and the rest of the season (give the depth of the Japanese men, I'm still very nervous about nationals!).

    I'm very impressed with Hanyu in terms of building stamina and also fight - he really has a great competitive spirit in that he takes each element at a time and doesn't seem to get rattled.

    I actually really love the choreo for Chan's LP - I hope we get to see some cleaner jumps this year. But, truly, his skating skills just transport me to another universe and I enjoyed watching him (and I think the placements felt right to me, haven't looked at protocols yet).

    Yeah to Javi on his quads - haven't watched yet but will later today! And hugs to Kozuka - I find him so mesmerizing when he skates well, and wish him the very best at nationals!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •