Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

I don't think the judges are turning on Patrick Chan. He's skating worse.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yeah, that's sorta my point (or more accurately, he's making the type of errors that get punished by the system more)

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Exactly. And other skaters are skating well enough and getting the marks to beat him. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    Takahashi also gets renewed respect, probably because of Monorov.
    Can someone explain the power of Morozov? Is he like the all time coaching god? I know he's coached many champions but I'm too sure about his achievements compared to other coaches. Because he's Russian, and Russian Fed is #1 power in ISU, are all the international judges automatically forced to respect him and his pupils?

My gosh came home from work to see Patrick only in 4th in free. Bit of a shocker. I thought Dai actually had a good chance as his 4 toe seems more consistant now but didn't expect Patrick lower than 2nd overall. Strange resulst as did not expect Javier to win the free. Congrats to Dai though, iam glad to see him winning a major competition for a change.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Can someone explain the power of Morozov? Is he like the all time coaching god? I know he's coached many champions but I'm too sure about his achievements compared to other coaches. Because he's Russian, and Russian Fed is #1 power in ISU, are all the international judges automatically forced to respect him and his pupils?
    Politicking, probably. It's either that or the voodoo.

Banned
    I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.

Thinking of Javi winning the free skate, but still landing off the podium - how often does this happen? not very often, I'm guessing? Still, I suppose he'll get a small gold medal for the free - do they have separate small ceremonies at the GPF? - in which case Liza will have a small silver also, which thought would console me somewhat...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.
    I give up.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Thinking of Javi winning the free skate, but still landing off the podium - how often does this happen? not very often, I'm guessing? Still, I suppose he'll get a small gold medal for the free - do they have separate small ceremonies at the GPF? - in which case Liza will have a small silver also, which thought would console me somewhat...
    Skate Canada, 2008: Shawn Sawyer won the free skate but ended up fifth overall. Yannick Ponsero won the short program and was fourth. It was that kind of event.

Is it bad that I knew that one off the top of my head?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    He didn't just lose points for the solo 2Axel though. He lost points for what could have been a counted and clean combination jump pass. Patrick fell on a solo 4toe and landed a solo 4toe. Every repeated jump must come in combo or sequence to be counted and earn points, so when Patrick fell on the solo 4toe and then repeated the 4toe, but failed to make it a combo, he missed potential extra points for a completed combo jump pass. On his protocol which now is not accessible from the ISU website (strange ), it showed as 4T (fall) and then 4T (sequence), but he earned no points for a completed, clean combo or sequence.

Had everything gone perfectly for Patrick, he probably intended his jump layout to include a 4T and a 4T+3T combination. Thus, when he fell on the 4T, neglected to add a combo to his 2nd 4T, and illegally turned a planned solo 2Axel into a 4th combo pass, he lost points for a clean, completed 2Axel as well as a clean, completed 3T in combo with the 4T.
    you're partially correct, but according to the quality of the second quad, he wouldn't be able to add a 3t, but totally fine to add at least 1t. in that case the 4 T would get full credit, not at 0.8 of 4T, plus the 1 T, that should be at least 2.36 point I guess? so shoud be enough to be second.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Skate Canada, 2008: Shawn Sawyer won the free skate but ended up fifth overall. Yannick Ponsero won the short program and was fourth. It was that kind of event.

I remember that too, but I'm a Shawn Sawyer uber. I miss 'Amadeus'!

Custom Title
    His technical content has certainly stagnated. His jump layout is actually the one from the 2010-2011 season with the triple axel in the second half of the FS. His focus on artistry this season has maintained his PCS buffer. However, his competition have upped the ante. Several of them have a triple axel in the second half of the SP for the extra points. We're also seeing a lot more skaters with multiple quad/triple axel programs this season.

Adding another quad or a triple axel combo should have been a priority for Chan.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post

Is it bad that fairly recently I was thinking of doing a retrospective thread for that competition, complete with full video links and commentary?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Anyway, this competition was good! You can see how hard they are fighting for it and the judging was pretty fair this time. I think Takahashi was overscored but still deserved to win overall, since he was the only person to nail the SP. There's so many icky CoP issues that need to be fixed for the programs to be more effective, though. These guys all have shown they have the talent, both technically and artistically. The system is holding EVERYONE down at this point, from a creative/performance perspective.

I'm still wondering when Javier Fernandez is going to attempt 2 Quad's in the SP and why his team doesn't have him doing it yet. His quads are so reliable; he has the best 4S in the business.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast