Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukifan27 View Post
    I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.
    You so wish the judges abandon Patrick. Dream on!

He's no longer winning despite mistakes is because his technical level is not on par to his previous level. The judges did not abandon him. It's all up to him. If he wants it desperately, he could climb back up. Whether 2013 Worlds is held in Canada or not, no PCS could help anyone if the TES is too low.

Custom Title
    I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.
    Since your post obviously referred to Patrick, but I'm confused about the bold part - Who is this 'her' and what is 'TEB' doing in your post?

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    lysacek would probably beat them all with his superior arm-flailing anyway.
    win!

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    So yes, I think he should hide his disappointment and at least look happy to be respectful. He himself said that "it happens" when he got his scores.
    Of course, he's disappointed. Anyone who didn't do well or as planned will be disappointed with themselves. So you want to see him 'jump with joy' and kiss everyone on sight to show he is respectful? What has being disappointed and sad got to do with being disrespectful? It is not that he purposely hopped onto the gold podium before stepping on his bronze podium? It is not that he refused to shake the gold and silver medallists' hands?
    Last edited by spikydurian; 12-09-2012 at 01:38 AM.

My what great performances by Yuzuru and Javi. I was not expecting that. I still felt Yuzuru had the best skate overall. He showed alot more expression than at NHK. What a great talent he is. Last season i could watch his Romeo and juliet program over and over. I think javi was great getting 3 quads but i still think his spins are slow and overall not quite at the level of Yuzuru,Patrick, and Dai.Still i like his personality on the ice. Dai even with a few errors commands your attention, hope oneday i see him live. Patrick really was not quite as bad for him as i expected. Looked abit nervous but overwise he would have scored well if he didn't make the mistake of cancelling out the combinaton at the end, and if he would have managed the 3 toe at the end of the quad toe it would have helped. Still adore his program, but i do worry about how he is improving technically jump wise, as the others are improving fast. Must be new to him that not only Dai but Yuzuru and Javier have marks that only he could reach before. In a way its good for fans to see a competiton and not know who will end up the winner. Patrick still wins the PCS. Patrick, Yuzuru, and Dai are my favourite so if i cannot have Patrick at the top iam glad its one of them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Thinking of Javi winning the free skate, but still landing off the podium - how often does this happen? not very often, I'm guessing? Still, I suppose he'll get a small gold medal for the free - do they have separate small ceremonies at the GPF? - in which case Liza will have a small silver also, which thought would console me somewhat...
    Miki Ando at the 2011 GPF. She won the LP, but was 5th overall.

Custom Title
    I won't be surprised if Chan announces a coaching change after worlds.

I admire Patrick for improving artistically, as he is really looking like he feels the music more, but my dream is he also works with Brian, and Yuzuru and Javi on a quad salchow too. Must be such an advantage to train with other top skaters

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I won't be surprised if Chan announces a coaching change after worlds.
    I think most of his fans are hoping for sooner than that...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    My what great performances by Yuzuru and Javi. I was not expecting that. I still felt Yuzuru had the best skate overall. He showed alot more expression than at NHK. What a great talent he is. Last season i could watch his Romeo and juliet program over and over. I think javi was great getting 3 quads but i still think his spins are slow and overall not quite at the level of Yuzuru,Patrick, and Dai.Still i like his personality on the ice. Dai even with a few errors commands your attention, hope oneday i see him live. Patrick really was not quite as bad for him as i expected. Looked abit nervous but overwise he would have scored well if he didn't make the mistake of cancelling out the combinaton at the end, and if he would have managed the 3 toe at the end of the quad toe it would have helped. Still adore his program, but i do worry about how he is improving technically jump wise, as the others are improving fast. Must be new to him that not only Dai but Yuzuru and Javier have marks that only he could reach before. In a way its good for fans to see a competiton and not know who will end up the winner. Patrick still wins the PCS. Patrick, Yuzuru, and Dai are my favourite so if i cannot have Patrick at the top iam glad its one of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Maybe he'll realize he won't be handed World gold or Olympic gold on a silver platter! Karmic payback for his disrespectful statements re Plushenko ("36 or 37 year old landing quads" - arrogant!)
    that one really ticked me off
    no doubt he knows Zhenya's real age, he said 36-37 to mock that he is an "Old' skater

I hope Yuzuru kicks his butt from now on, Go My Prince

Rinkside
    It's a gradual phase-out and there is no doubt. He is no longer able to rely on those inflated pcs to win competitions despite big mistakes. The PCS gap is narrowing. Takahashi got almost the same pcs while both made mistakes. This has never happened in the past. If Chan continues to make technical mistakes, which I'm pretty sure he will, he will be in big big trouble since judges appear to have shifted attention to Hanyu, the spaniard. Takahashi also gets renewed respect, probably because of Monorov.
    Agreed

Custom Title
    I don't think the judges are abandoning Chan. I think other skaters are catching up with him. For a while, Patrick had a real advantage with his 2-quad LPs because he was landing the quads really consistently. But now he's not landing them consistently. And the other guys are upping the ante, with all the top men now attempting 2 quads in the long, and Fernandez of course having 3 quads. Add to that the fact that all the other guys are doing 2 3Axels, while Chan only has 1 3Axel (and a shaky one at that), and it means trouble for Chan.

It was interesting seeing his LP. Initially this season, I thought Chan had really made strides artistically. Now I'm not so sure. It's always beautiful to watch him skate, just from a technical standpoint--such gorgeous motion as he bends deep in his knees to gain speed and then ascends more upright. His skating has its own rhythm, I feel. BUT--the problem is, his movement sometimes has nothing to do with the music he's skating to. In the LP, his highlight moves didn't match highlights in the music. Maybe he was just off in this performance. But real musicality was once again missing.

Hanyu, on the other hand, does have that innate musicality. I find him very unpolished and imprecise in his presentation--he needs better posture and crisper movement IMO--yet somehow, he does capture the flow and mood of the music. Whereas Chan sort of skates to his own soundtrack.

I haven't read the thread, and will probably post more after I do, but I just have to say that I am so happy for Daisukee to win this! I wasn't sure that he could do it, but he did, and he proved to everyone that said he was "done" that he was still one of the best. Dai was the only one in the men's GPF who didn't win a gold medal during the regular season, since he qualified with two silvers, so now Daisuke has his gold, too. Every one of those men won a gold this season, so it is perfect

Also, I have to add how impressed I was by Javier! He really killed it! What a performance! It's a shame that he didn't win a medal :( It would've really been something if Javi had knocked Chan off the podium. I think everyone would've been shocked.
    Last edited by Butterscotch17; 12-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Rinkside
    Yes. After seeing the COR I though Chan improved artistically.
    But now I doubt about that. After all It's not that easy to improve.
    I guess he just has a better lp than last season.

But Dai's program is worse than before and made mistakes but got 90 in pcs. the same pcs with Chan.
    That didn't happen before..So..

I don't think the judges are abandoning Chan.
    They just don't treat Chan like before.. a little. And I think it's a good thing.

As for Hanyu Yes He has a great musicality and he is expressive. But that expression looks awkward for me. In lp...
    His execution is a little awkward overall too.
    His program has no transition. He looks just go element to element.
    So I think the judges give that PCS to Hanyu because of his potential. not what he actually does in competition.
    But it's just my opinion. maybe he is just not my style.
    I thought he was overscored at 2012 worlds too and Joubert should have been on podium.
    Last edited by lea; 12-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast