Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: 2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

Custom Title
    I was in awe of all the skates, and any one of those five top skaters could have won if but for the position of the moon and the stars and the way that wind was blowing.

Ya. Takahashi's did good short and long so the points added up (with a little vodka boost on the PCS). But yay. He had two great skates. He won. of all the skaters, my sense is that Takahashi skates the smartest.

Chan still has it, and the mistakes he made were stupid, stupid, stupid. He is not the type of skater to repeat those kind of mistakes though, so now they are behind him. I would not count him out and I think he is still the one to beat at worlds and Sochi. When he is at his best, he is the best, but when he is not at his best, he will be beat and then some. No wiggle room. Fact of life now. (I like his coaching change. I find him easier to watch this year compared to last year. )

Hanyu really amazed me. His stamina was good, and I thought he skated better than he ever has. He had little chance to win with his crappy short though. But with the two amazing short skates he has done this year, he should be forgiven for not skating this one short not so well. I think that it will be him and Chan for the worlds (providing Chan shows up in himself, and Yuzuru can keep his focus for two days of skating rather than just one). As well, Yuzuru's skills seem to be improving by the week. But, oh my, forget the scoring, that was a beautiful skate to watch.

Javier? Where did he come from all of a sudden. This is his second totally amazing long program performance. Three quads. But, as well, he is just way better than he was last year. Some of his skating (his landings especially) reminds me of Yuzuru's, but he also has his own style in his own right. (Yuzuru will never do Charlie Chaplin though.) This kid could be the dark horse for the podium

Kozuka. I just feel sorry for him. What a phenomenal skater and he skated well. He had a few glitches, but: The field that night was just to strong. He still needs to achieve better skates, but, still, just as he is, he is amazing to watch.

At any grand prix event, I would have been happy to just see one of those skates. But there were five. I am almost sorry that there had to be scoring.
    Last edited by phaeljones; 12-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't see the judges scoring Patrick differently. He got what he deserved by the system just as he did in previous seasons. I see him adjusting to a different skating mindset and emphasis. He used to take on the jumps full on, getting high points for full rotations even if he fell, causing much harsh criticism from detractors as undeserving and necessitating lower PCS. He was also known and complimented for being able to think on his feet (or in his skates) for adding missed combo jumps later in the program. Well, it's great to be able to think on one's feet but not at the highest performance level when an athlete is in the proverbial zone. Skating is an extremely difficult sport, partly because of the necessary frequent switches from expressive artistry to a highly technical super athletic high risk jump and back again to expressive skating on ice. I believe as Patrick turns his focus to artistry in his performance this season, he is skating more with his feelings and less with his head about the COP. The right brain is taking on more than before and the left brain is functioning less. It is a transition to the optimal balanced whole brain functioning and I think he will reach it. He has a bigger vision than winning competitions but the competitiveness is still there and unhappy about not winning.

I enjoy his journey.

Custom Title
    Yes, when you see five great skaters, you want them to throw away the scores and put them all on the podium. Even more agonizing is the fact that there are more great male skaters in Japan than there are spots on their world team--that makes all of us losers, not just the guy(s) left off the Japanese team.

Orser must be dancing around somewhere near the ceiling after his two skaters did so well. It certainly validates him to have results like these.

Takahashi is my favorite, so I can't really be objective, but I like your observation that he might be the smartest strategist of all the skaters.

I said on one of the other threads that it seems to me that Daisuke's jumps are higher this year. They have almost a vertical lift. Does anyone else see that, or is it just my imagination?

Custom Title
    I love these three posts above mine and agree with wholeheartedly.

I do think Dai's jumps look higher this year - and although I don't love his programs as much this year as last, I feel like (without going back and watching/checking) they are appearing cleaner (not seeing as much of some of the scratchy landings, for examples, that he sometimes has when he is fighting for the program)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I hope someday Takahiko will get the pcs he deserves! When he does a mistake his pcs tank..

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    He was also known and complimented for being able to think on his feet (or in his skates) for adding missed combo jumps later in the program.
    Not to take anything away from Patrick but 90% of the skaters know what to add or not if the miss a combo as an alternative, almost anyone who is not Oda knows by now what to add or substract during the program and they usually do it, even junior girls do it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Not to take anything away from Patrick but 90% of the skaters know what to add or not if the miss a combo as an alternative, almost anyone who is not Oda knows by now what to add or substract during the program and they usually do it, even junior girls do it.
    More noteworthy is that Chan's made COP combo mistakes twice this season (his SP at COR, the LP here)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

His 4S, OTOH, is very special.
    I think, that his salchow is truly exceptional. He does that triple so easily, thus his ability to do the 4 rotations as well.
    Last edited by herios; 12-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    I admire Patrick for improving artistically, as he is really looking like he feels the music more

Thank you I agree! Actually, I always liked Patrick artistically and I never understood the criticism. Yes, true, he doesn't reach the audience in the same easy, sizzling way that Daisuke does but I never saw a problem with Patrick's musical intrepretation.

I think the difference this year is that he stayed away from the war horses and picked a difficult piano piece that simply shows off Patrick. It's hard to interpret something that doesn't have a character like Phantom of the Opera. But when your skating itself is lovely, a piece like Rachmaninov's Elegie is perfect because it's all about you and your gorgeous skating and the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    But when your skating itself is lovely, a piece like Rachmaninov's Elegie is perfect because it's all about you and your gorgeous skating and the music.
    True, but Patrick has yet to show that he can perform a competitive short program to this music with the same qualities as his exhibition version.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    True, but Patrick has yet to show that he can perform a competitive short program to this music with the same qualities as his exhibition version.
    How could he though? I'm not being a smart *** or anything, I just think it would be tough. Am I wrong to assume that COP would make it harder to just throw yourself into it and lose yourself in the moment......I mean, not only technically is it different, but also mentally, there's no pressure for a gala that has only a couple jumps thrown in. I know what you mean, the performance maybe suffers a tad, but I think that's kinda normal.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-11-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Custom Title
    I'm disappointed about Patrick's comment about the rule being too complicated, and he doesn't care. If a fan can understand it how come it is too complicated for a skater? this really explained why skaters need a coach by their side all the time. I really wish Patrick find a coach who can coach, so that he doesn't make stupid mistake anymore. I do believe his artistic expression is much better and at a deeper level, he moves like a dancer. but without the jumps, he will go nowhere but down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    More noteworthy is that Chan's made COP combo mistakes twice this season (his SP at COR, the LP here)
    Because he doesn't have a coach who has the ability to oversee everything and remind him the details that he doesn't know or forgot. All he has is a proud-mother-figure/a cheer leader.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Because he doesn't have a coach who has the ability to oversee everything and remind him the details that he doesn't know or forgot. All he has is a proud-mother-figure/a cheer leader.
    Who's his girlfriend's mother......
    I mean, that can't help the situation......

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    Who's his girlfriend's mother......
    I mean, that can't help the situation......
    I don't know what you mean?

But Kathy Johnson is his girlfriend's mother.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I don't know what you mean?

But Kathy Johnson is his girlfriend's mother.
    Sorry, should have clarified. I just think it's an awkward situation.....maybe not yet, and who knows, maybe it never will be, but what happens the next time he wants to revamp his team or (hopefully) add a technical coach as well. I just see it as a conflict where it should be more business, that's all. If they can all handle it, then fine. Hopefully it all works out for him and and he gets through some of the 'growing pains' he seems to be experiencing.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast