2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm disappointed about Patrick's comment about the rule being too complicated, and he doesn't care. If a fan can understand it how come it is too complicated for a skater? this really explained why skaters need a coach by their side all the time. I really wish Patrick find a coach who can coach, so that he doesn't make stupid mistake anymore. I do believe his artistic expression is much better and at a deeper level, he moves like a dancer. but without the jumps, he will go nowhere but down.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
More noteworthy is that Chan's made COP combo mistakes twice this season (his SP at COR, the LP here)

Because he doesn't have a coach who has the ability to oversee everything and remind him the details that he doesn't know or forgot. All he has is a proud-mother-figure/a cheer leader.:bang:

SGrand

Final Flight
Because he doesn't have a coach who has the ability to oversee everything and remind him the details that he doesn't know or forgot. All he has is a proud-mother-figure/a cheer leader.:bang:

Who's his girlfriend's mother......:confused:
I mean, that can't help the situation......

SGrand

Final Flight
I don't know what you mean?

But Kathy Johnson is his girlfriend's mother.

Sorry, should have clarified. I just think it's an awkward situation.....maybe not yet, and who knows, maybe it never will be, but what happens the next time he wants to revamp his team or (hopefully) add a technical coach as well. I just see it as a conflict where it should be more business, that's all. If they can all handle it, then fine. Hopefully it all works out for him and and he gets through some of the 'growing pains' he seems to be experiencing.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I'm disappointed about Patrick's comment about the rule being too complicated, and he doesn't care. If a fan can understand it how come it is too complicated for a skater? this really explained why skaters need a coach by their side all the time. I really wish Patrick find a coach who can coach, so that he doesn't make stupid mistake anymore. I do believe his artistic expression is much better and at a deeper level, he moves like a dancer. but without the jumps, he will go nowhere but down.

Did he actually say that? I'm a little surprised since he seemed to be pretty good with the rule last season

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oda has skating coaches. Kiira Korpi has skating coaches and she still had a messed up jump layout at 2012 Euros and didn't even know about it. So does Kanako Murakami, but she forgot to do an axel in the LP at CoR and had her last jump invalidated. Dai had coaches when he Zayakked himself off the podium at 2008 Worlds.

Patrick was coached by Krall when he Zayyaked away a win at 2010 CoR. Not that I object, because Verner was more deserving there anyway.

I agree that having a dance coach instead of a skating coach is not a great idea, but I don't think Kathy Johnson is to blame for this.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Haven't had a chance to watch it, yet, but I just came in here to say I'm over the moon for Dai and soooo happy!!! YES! :bow:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko lost to Sandu because of 4 combos, and that was 8 years ago, how can it still be a complicated rule for the skaters?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
seniorita, adrenaline's high, you're trying to get as much as possible, you've made a mistake (no one Zayak's/Combo-faults without a previous error). At Worlds 2008, Takahashi, Carriere, Chan, and Kovaleski all made that error.

Chan's comments after the GPF

"Looking at the program, there were a lot of good things: the triple Axel, the triple loop," Chan said. "Then I did kind of do an extra combo. I know not to do it again. It's a learning experience. I pulled a Nobunari (referring to Nobunari Oda, who has often been penalized for too many combinations)."

In past competitions, Chan has outstripped opponents on both the technical, and more often, the program components score, but now he admitted the field has caught up with him.

"A lot more skaters are doing quads, two quads in the program; the years I won worlds in Moscow (2011) and worlds in Nice (2012), a lot less skaters were doing two quads," he said. "The boundaries have been pushed, especially this year. Pressure has risen, and we have very good quality skaters.

"A lot of critics were upset that I was getting rewarded for elements that weren't executed well, so, hopefully, [the lower scores] will please some people."

1. If Chan knows that Oda makes that mistake often, then he knows it's a mistake and he can't claim lack of knowledge.

2. Why bring up Oda in the first place?

3. That last comment articulates a mental state that is worrisome, imo.

hurrah

Medalist
"A lot of critics were upset that I was getting rewarded for elements that weren't executed well, so, hopefully, [the lower scores] will please some people."

:eek: He really said that??

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
seniorita, adrenaline's high, you're trying to get as much as possible, you've made a mistake (no one Zayak's/Combo-faults without a previous error). At Worlds 2008, Takahashi, Carriere, Chan, and Kovaleski all made that error.

1. If Chan knows that Oda makes that mistake often, then he knows it's a mistake and he can't claim lack of knowledge.

Yeah, I was a bit bothered that he bought up Oda in the first place, especially considering that Oda himself has yet to make that error this season. His undoing at this second GP was not landing his quad in the SP not Zayaking jumps. But regardless I didn't think it was that classy to pick on a skater like that, when all things considered, he's actually a pretty good skater otherwise with decent results. And I agree Patrick can't really used that excuse because he himself has managed to avoid Zayaking in the past.

I too found that last comment a bit curious a well. Who exactly is he talking about? And I'm curious why he cares now.

let`s talk

Match Penalty

He also said:

“I remember when I came last in my first Grand Prix final,” Patrick Chan was reminiscing the other night. “I thought, geez, who remembers who won the Grand Prix final anyway? Nobody remembers. People only remember who won the Olympic Games and the world championships.”

:rolleye:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm amazed what comes out of Patrick's mouth at times. First he made fun of Plushenko in the pre-event interview, now he's insulted Oda in the post-event interview! As well as sounding like quite the sore loser.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I too found that last comment a bit curious a well. Who exactly is he talking about? And I'm curious why he cares now.

Maybe his people do read online. So Patrick knows exactly what's going on. Though I'd very much prefer him treat these hatred and outcries towards him directly like Plushenko has treated the hatred and outcries towards his.

Patrick is too honest and it's scary. He has just said what almost everyone has said here. But he shouldn't have said them. The one regarding to GPF, Olympics, and worlds was so true but he shouldn't have said it out loud.:laugh: I wish he was not that straight forward. Maybe that's him and he could never change.

Last edited:

lea

Rinkside
Who exactly is he talking about?

Many people blame Chan via twitter. And reporters ask Chan about score.
They should not blame Chan directly.
The score is not under his control.

As for Chan's interview..Chan is always Chan.
He is unwise.
He only makes the situation worse.

“I remember when I came last in my first Grand Prix final,” Patrick Chan was reminiscing the other night. “I thought, geez, who remembers who won the Grand Prix final anyway? Nobody remembers. People only remember who won the Olympic Games and the world championships.”

This interview just shows that Chan is really upset about losing.
Maybe he is too cocky to became wise.

Last edited:

I think in general skaters should follow the rule, "plan your skate, skate your plan." If you mess up one element, put that behind you and skate the rest of the program as designed.

At the most, you could have a plan A and a plan B. Michelle Kwan's plan A was hit the triple-triple at the beginning, then for the last element do a split jump as a choreographic exclamation point. Plan B was miss the triple-triple, then do a triple toe as the last element. Either way, the layout of the program was not disturbed.

I actually sympathize with Patrick. Your program is whizzing by you at a mile a minute and you are required to ponder, let's see now -- I missed my quad combo so therefore I better do another combo -- no wait, that second quad will be hit by a phantom sequence (scored as a sequence even though no sequence or combo was done or attempted). By that time you have flubbed your next element.

Oda, on the other hand, had an insurmountable problem the last time out. He did the worst thing you can possibly do -- pop your 4T/3T into a 3T/3T. Now you are screwed every which way from Sunday. You can't do your planned 3A/3T. You can't do any kind of triple-triple at all.

Sadly, the simple truth. Only I would add Worlds and the Olympics to the list of competitions that no one remembers except the participants.