2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF Men's Free Skate LP

starryxskies

On the Ice
Takahashi also gets renewed respect, probably because of Monorov.

Can someone explain the power of Morozov? Is he like the all time coaching god? I know he's coached many champions but I'm too sure about his achievements compared to other coaches. Because he's Russian, and Russian Fed is #1 power in ISU, are all the international judges automatically forced to respect him and his pupils?

figuristka

Medalist
My gosh came home from work to see Patrick only in 4th in free. Bit of a shocker. I thought Dai actually had a good chance as his 4 toe seems more consistant now but didn't expect Patrick lower than 2nd overall. Strange resulst as did not expect Javier to win the free. Congrats to Dai though, iam glad to see him winning a major competition for a change.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Can someone explain the power of Morozov? Is he like the all time coaching god? I know he's coached many champions but I'm too sure about his achievements compared to other coaches. Because he's Russian, and Russian Fed is #1 power in ISU, are all the international judges automatically forced to respect him and his pupils?

Politicking, probably. It's either that or the voodoo.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
I don't think the judges are turning on Patrick Chan. He's skating worse.

I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thinking of Javi winning the free skate, but still landing off the podium - how often does this happen? not very often, I'm guessing? Still, I suppose he'll get a small gold medal for the free - do they have separate small ceremonies at the GPF? - in which case Liza will have a small silver also, which thought would console me somewhat...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't believe that's accurate. His performance at SC was not good. However, her overall skating at the TEB and this one is no worse than what he did in the past. Artistically, you can argue he's a bit better. The difference is that he's no longer winning despite mistakes. Judges are abandoning him amid the outcry especially they now have a legitimate reason to do so. He can still reassert his stature at 2013 worlds though since it will be held in Canada.

I give up.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thinking of Javi winning the free skate, but still landing off the podium - how often does this happen? not very often, I'm guessing? Still, I suppose he'll get a small gold medal for the free - do they have separate small ceremonies at the GPF? - in which case Liza will have a small silver also, which thought would console me somewhat...

Skate Canada, 2008: Shawn Sawyer won the free skate but ended up fifth overall. Yannick Ponsero won the short program and was fourth. It was that kind of event.

Is it bad that I knew that one off the top of my head?

Ilvskating

Final Flight
He didn't just lose points for the solo 2Axel though. He lost points for what could have been a counted and clean combination jump pass. Patrick fell on a solo 4toe and landed a solo 4toe. Every repeated jump must come in combo or sequence to be counted and earn points, so when Patrick fell on the solo 4toe and then repeated the 4toe, but failed to make it a combo, he missed potential extra points for a completed combo jump pass. On his protocol which now is not accessible from the ISU website (strange :unsure:), it showed as 4T (fall) and then 4T (sequence), but he earned no points for a completed, clean combo or sequence.

Had everything gone perfectly for Patrick, he probably intended his jump layout to include a 4T and a 4T+3T combination. Thus, when he fell on the 4T, neglected to add a combo to his 2nd 4T, and illegally turned a planned solo 2Axel into a 4th combo pass, he lost points for a clean, completed 2Axel as well as a clean, completed 3T in combo with the 4T.

you're partially correct, but according to the quality of the second quad, he wouldn't be able to add a 3t, but totally fine to add at least 1t. in that case the 4 T would get full credit, not at 0.8 of 4T, plus the 1 T, that should be at least 2.36 point I guess? so shoud be enough to be second.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Skate Canada, 2008: Shawn Sawyer won the free skate but ended up fifth overall. Yannick Ponsero won the short program and was fourth. It was that kind of event.

I remember that too, but I'm a Shawn Sawyer uber. I miss 'Amadeus'!

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I don't think the judges are turning on Patrick Chan. He's skating worse.

His technical content has certainly stagnated. His jump layout is actually the one from the 2010-2011 season with the triple axel in the second half of the FS. His focus on artistry this season has maintained his PCS buffer. However, his competition have upped the ante. Several of them have a triple axel in the second half of the SP for the extra points. We're also seeing a lot more skaters with multiple quad/triple axel programs this season.

Adding another quad or a triple axel combo should have been a priority for Chan.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Is it bad that fairly recently I was thinking of doing a retrospective thread for that competition, complete with full video links and commentary? :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Anyway, this competition was good! You can see how hard they are fighting for it and the judging was pretty fair this time. I think Takahashi was overscored but still deserved to win overall, since he was the only person to nail the SP. There's so many icky CoP issues that need to be fixed for the programs to be more effective, though. These guys all have shown they have the talent, both technically and artistically. The system is holding EVERYONE down at this point, from a creative/performance perspective.

I'm still wondering when Javier Fernandez is going to attempt 2 Quad's in the SP and why his team doesn't have him doing it yet. His quads are so reliable; he has the best 4S in the business.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

You so wish the judges abandon Patrick.:laugh: Dream on!

He's no longer winning despite mistakes is because his technical level is not on par to his previous level. The judges did not abandon him. It's all up to him. If he wants it desperately, he could climb back up. Whether 2013 Worlds is held in Canada or not, no PCS could help anyone if the TES is too low.

fscric

On the Ice

Since your post obviously referred to Patrick, but I'm confused about the bold part - Who is this 'her' and what is 'TEB' doing in your post?

spikydurian

Medalist
So yes, I think he should hide his disappointment and at least look happy to be respectful. He himself said that "it happens" when he got his scores.
Of course, he's disappointed. Anyone who didn't do well or as planned will be disappointed with themselves. So you want to see him 'jump with joy' and kiss everyone on sight to show he is respectful? What has being disappointed and sad got to do with being disrespectful? It is not that he purposely hopped onto the gold podium before stepping on his bronze podium? It is not that he refused to shake the gold and silver medallists' hands?

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
My what great performances by Yuzuru and Javi. I was not expecting that. I still felt Yuzuru had the best skate overall. He showed alot more expression than at NHK. What a great talent he is. Last season i could watch his Romeo and juliet program over and over. I think javi was great getting 3 quads but i still think his spins are slow and overall not quite at the level of Yuzuru,Patrick, and Dai.Still i like his personality on the ice. Dai even with a few errors commands your attention, hope oneday i see him live. Patrick really was not quite as bad for him as i expected. Looked abit nervous but overwise he would have scored well if he didn't make the mistake of cancelling out the combinaton at the end, and if he would have managed the 3 toe at the end of the quad toe it would have helped. Still adore his program, but i do worry about how he is improving technically jump wise, as the others are improving fast. Must be new to him that not only Dai but Yuzuru and Javier have marks that only he could reach before. In a way its good for fans to see a competiton and not know who will end up the winner. Patrick still wins the PCS. Patrick, Yuzuru, and Dai are my favourite so if i cannot have Patrick at the top iam glad its one of them.