Wagner Withdraws from GPF Gala due to Injury | Golden Skate

Wagner Withdraws from GPF Gala due to Injury

skateluvr

Record Breaker
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please, Fate, she has worked so hard and come so far, and she fell so hard she coulda broken a hip!!!!!!! Someone tell us when you hear. #$%^T!

kimganos

On the Ice
Hope it isn't too serious. I really admire her for the way she skated through her program!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
hope its nothing serious and not requiring injury
she is the backbone of the US ladies atm

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Hopefully she's just sore and wants to rest. Her fall looked scary, but she didn't look like she was in great pain when she was sitting in the K&C.

Also, her latest tweet came up on the feed here:
Leaving a bit bruised and battered but I fought and I'm coming home with my first GPF medal! instagr.am/p/TAHZ7mirzX/

Nadia01

Final Flight
Not surprised by this at all. She didn't look so good after the fall.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Yuzuru just withdrew from the Gala too, so both silver medalists in the singles disciplines are out :no:

Trewyn

Medalist
Tweets from yesterday suggested she was alright. I was relieved to hear she'd withdrawn from the gala, no need to take any risks. But she's just tweeted a picture and she's on crutches :eek:

So maybe it really is more serious than she thought? I really hope she'll be alright soon! A couple days off the ice wouldn't be a bad thing, I think, it's a long season. But I've read in the US ladies figure skating thread that a hip pointer could keep you off the ice for 6 weeks, that would be problematic for Nationals.

I won't despair just yet, sending lots of positive vibes her way :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
and there are no injury byes anymore, right?

...I haven't heard anything to suggest that no byes are allowed, it's just not done often - Wagner could apply for one, but she might not get it. If anything I could see the USFSA having the ladies skate it out at 4CC to determine who goes in the second slot... then again Ashley's proven herself this year so she could get it.

All in all, who knows... I just pray she has a successful recovery!

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I haven't heard anything to suggest that no byes are allowed, it's just not done often - Wagner could apply for one, but she might not get it. If anything I could see the USFSA having the ladies skate it out at 4CC to determine who goes in the second slot... then again Ashley's proven herself this year so she could get it.

That's the other thing I was wondering - if Wagner for some reason could not do Nationals, would she be in a position to apply for an injury bye or submit a petition (a la Kwan in 2006)? Although I have a strange feeling she probably would not do that anyway.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she's in a better position, IMO, than Kwan in 2006. Ashley was injured at the GPF and continued on and won the silver medal, so she's earned at the very least the opportunity to be considered for a bye - if she needs it.

I just hope she doesn't rush recovery due to timing. No need to make it worse and miss out next season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just hope she doesn't rush recovery due to timing. No need to make it worse and miss out next season.

100% in agreement here.

ETA: I think she mentioned getting X-rays or something upon arrival back in the US. So at least it sounds as if team Wagner is at least trying to make 100% sure it's nothing more serious

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
100% in agreement here.

ETA: I think she mentioned getting X-rays or something upon arrival back in the US. So at least it sounds as if team Wagner is at least trying to make 100% sure it's nothing more serious

Smart idea to get it completely checked out. All I can think of is the injuries in 2006 in Ice Dance... (and 2007)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In the Post skate interview on NBC today, she doesnt think it is serious but thinks she will be sore for a few days. I do hope she does have it checked out when she gets home. That was a nasty fall....thankfully there is a time cushion till nats.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That interview was done just a few minutes after her skate - the stuff we're discussing came way later than that interview.