Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wagner Withdraws from GPF Gala due to Injury

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I just hope she doesn't rush recovery due to timing. No need to make it worse and miss out next season.
    100% in agreement here.

ETA: I think she mentioned getting X-rays or something upon arrival back in the US. So at least it sounds as if team Wagner is at least trying to make 100% sure it's nothing more serious
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-09-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    100% in agreement here.

ETA: I think she mentioned getting X-rays or something upon arrival back in the US. So at least it sounds as if team Wagner is at least trying to make 100% sure it's nothing more serious
    Smart idea to get it completely checked out. All I can think of is the injuries in 2006 in Ice Dance... (and 2007)

In the Post skate interview on NBC today, she doesnt think it is serious but thinks she will be sore for a few days. I do hope she does have it checked out when she gets home. That was a nasty fall....thankfully there is a time cushion till nats.

That interview was done just a few minutes after her skate - the stuff we're discussing came way later than that interview.

Custom Title
    deleted
    Last edited by Icey; 12-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Custom Title
    I just looked up hip pointer. That sounds like a very significant injury! I gather there is a possibility that this is what Ashley has, but that no one can be sure until the medical examination later this week.

Custom Title
    I was shocked she was able to continue, firstly because it looked like a painful fall, and secondly, when splat on your face like that, you usually knock all of the air out of your lungs and it takes a moment to get your breath back. She carried on, almost like it had never happened. It was a really gutsy skate. When somebody is willing to give everything they have and more to win, you know they want it bad. Ashley has made me a fan this year, more by her heart and her attitude than anything else. She is the first US Ladies' Champion since Kwan who is prepared to go out there and leave it all on the ice. Would that a few other US Ladies had that take no prisoners attitude.

It's like someone sprinkled magic dust over Ashley when that Gold Medal went around her neck last year at Nationals. Loving it.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I was shocked she was able to continue, firstly because it looked like a painful fall, and secondly, when splat on your face like that, you usually knock all of the air out of your lungs and it takes a moment to get your breath back.
    Thirdly, (I am speaking for myself here), once you take a hard fall don't you get scared to possibly take another? And she landed that 3F that followed, nicely. She didn't pop it, or double it, or skip it. Definitely impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Thirdly, (I am speaking for myself here), once you take a hard fall don't you get scared to possibly take another? And she landed that 3F that followed, nicely. She didn't pop it, or double it, or skip it. Definitely impressed me.
    Lipinski said as much when she was commentating today on NBC (well I assume she recorded it as it happened). She was tight in the footwork right after the fall - but really she was still able to perform, that takes a grit and determination that we haven't seen from US ladies in forever!

Poor Ashley. When I watched on TV today it really magnified to me (which did not come across while watching the video on my computer) how hard a fall she sustained onto
    her chest and her hip. That has to be one of the nastiest falls that I have seen in a very long time. Ashley's determination and sheer will power to continue skating
    after that is amazing. Kudos to her and hoping she recovers soon.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 12-09-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Down With It
    I still have not watched it...I don't think I can bring myself to do so. (I did briefly see a shot of her down though in the editing process - didn't look good)

I mean, I've seen some pretty brutal falls before (including the unforgettable freak accident involving the Russian pairs at SA one year with the woman being dropped on her head)...but I'm just sick of the hard luck our women have been having all this time. Maybe if/when Wagner manages to bounce back and perhaps win her medal will I perhaps go back and see what happened...the only reason I saw Czisny's epic Worlds meltdown last year was because I was watching the event live
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Actually I think even with the fall and the silver medal - you'd be proud ot watch her.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Actually I think even with the fall and the silver medal - you'd be proud ot watch her.
    perhaps, but if it's the fall that ends her season or halts her progress...I'd rather not see it happen

Once the curse that's hovering over the US ladies right now is FINALLY lifted I'll take a look

Hip pointer can be so involved. Shout out to Ashley, love you, the program, stunning dress...get well, kill at Nats and get on that podium. I want Silver at least. She is sunning to watch now.. Please God bless the poor dear. Ice is indeed slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    perhaps, but if it's the fall that ends her season or halts her progress...I'd rather not see it happen

Once the curse that's hovering over the US ladies right now is FINALLY lifted I'll take a look
    fair enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast