Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Duane's officially signed up for the military!

  1. #1
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646

    Duane's officially signed up for the military!

    Alright long time GSers - ready to feel old? That little brother of mine - the one who wanted to be Kurt Browning for most of his childhood - graduates High School this May. This past week he took his test and physical and he's officially signed up in the Army (infantry). He heads off to bootcamp July 22 (he thinks to GA, but couldn't remember :rolleyes: ). He'll be the second in the family to be army (all the others have been Navy), it's pretty cool...

    From his "tipple-toe, tipple-toe" battle cry to "Hoo-ah!" - I guess lol

    http://alaskanmagic.smugmug.com/Clie...IMG_8903-M.jpg
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-09-2012 at 02:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,538
    Wow, that's amazing! Where does the time go?

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,971
    Impressive! Tell Duane thanks for me.

  4. #4
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Wow, that's amazing! Where does the time go?
    right?! It's crazy to think it's been 7 years since Kurt Browning made me cry when he sent Duane a copy of his book (via me) with a special note inside it. Duane's not a fan of skating these days (it's not cool to be with his group of friends) but he hangs onto that book. Still had dreams of meeting Kurt...

    when he was 4 he used to have a pic of Kurt Browning in his buzz lightyear wallet.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,971
    You know what? When he completes his Army training, he won't have to worry about whether it's hip to like skating. No one will question his coolness to his face. He could take up embroidery and it wouldn't matter.

  6. #6
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Good for him! There are many pluses to military service, should he stay or even if he decides to leave.

  7. #7
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Good for him! There are many pluses to military service, should he stay or even if he decides to leave.
    that's the hope anyway...

  8. #8
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,616
    Wow Toni, I think the last pic I saw of him was a little boy....and look now....wow!!! what a cutie!!! I agree with Olympia, tell him thanks. I think it's a good move for him.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Wow Toni, I think the last pic I saw of him was a little boy....and look now....wow!!! what a cutie!!! I agree with Olympia, tell him thanks. I think it's a good move for him.
    We're hoping so!

    I think the last pic I shared of him was when he got the book from Kurt for his 10th bday (if not it was the next summer's Disney trip).

    It's so funny, he's still very much a believer in what the recruiter tells him - and that John Wayne movies tell the truth about the military (as opposed to movies like Saving Private ryan which is "liberal lies" LOL my dad just shakes his head lol) he's got it in his head that he'll get to take time off no matter what. We're hoping he can get leave close to when we originally planned to go to Disney next fall... if anything maybe he can get a few days and come down for that time. He keeps saying "oh yeah, it'll be no problem." right, kid.

  10. #10
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Hummmm....looks like it is time to grow up a bit....Well, more people die here due to cell phones than die over there in the big sand box of the middle east, but Vietnam was a whole lot more like Private Ryan than John Wayne. I have an aquaintance getting a hernia operation tomarrow due to being shot through and through in Vietnam. He still has to take drugs due to the nightmares of being a medic over there.
    I think the army will give your brother a good foundation for the rest of his life if he choses to learn from the experience. I could have used a bit of growing up myself when I went off to college...
    I have good thoughts and wishes for your brother.
    (Extra points...who can name a male and a female figure skater who skated for their country while in the military reserves?)
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    We're hoping so!

    I think the last pic I shared of him was when he got the book from Kurt for his 10th bday (if not it was the next summer's Disney trip).

    It's so funny, he's still very much a believer in what the recruiter tells him - and that John Wayne movies tell the truth about the military (as opposed to movies like Saving Private ryan which is "liberal lies" LOL my dad just shakes his head lol) he's got it in his head that he'll get to take time off no matter what. We're hoping he can get leave close to when we originally planned to go to Disney next fall... if anything maybe he can get a few days and come down for that time. He keeps saying "oh yeah, it'll be no problem." right, kid.

  11. #11
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Yeah, Duane's at that age where he knows everything so I want to be a fly on the wall when he's training... *evil laugh*

  12. #12
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    14,281
    Savchenko & Szolkowy, and pretty nearly every German skater, I would think?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Szolkowy

    Apparently the army sponsors skaters in Germany.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,971
    I didn't know that about S/S, or about Germany. I wonder whether any Swiss skaters are in their reserves. The Swiss army is very active in the protection of their neutrality, I've heard. Pretty much every man puts in some time in the reserves. I don't know whether women do.

  14. #14
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,362
    Give that lady a cigar! She knows her skaters....you win a trip to Hawaii or something else.
    But even besides the Swiss Males and the Germans, there is another Euro lady from the past that is sticking in my head but I cant put a name too....old age does that to you....
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Savchenko & Szolkowy, and pretty nearly every German skater, I would think?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Szolkowy

    Apparently the army sponsors skaters in Germany.

  15. #15
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,368
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    (Extra points...who can name a male and a female figure skater who skated for their country while in the military reserves?)
    .
    Why just reserves? Israel has compulsory military service for men and women. Roman Zaretsky served in the Israeli army back when the Zars were juniors, though he was designated as an outstanding athlete, so that he was able to continue skating (he talks about it in this interview). By the time Alexandra would have had to start her service, they were training in the US, so I guess other arrangements were made.

    Of course, lots of Soviet skaters were affiliated with the army, specifically with CSKA Moscow. I'm not sure if this still holds for Russian skaters today?

    Good luck to your brother, Toni - I hope it will be a good experience for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •