2014 Olympics: Asada vs. Kim | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics: Asada vs. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kim back in the mix again and bringing back the Kim/Asada fanwars (which I was already sick to death of by 2010) I'm NOT looking forward to...

I was hoping 2014 would come down to a new generation of women battling for Gold.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I'm really looking forward to Sochi, but I still think it's too soon to tell. The gold could go to anyone at this point, imo.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
What about Kaitlyn Osmond of Canada?

:rofl: Osmond's so called win at Skate Canada was one of the worst judging scandals of the Grand Prix, in a season full of scandals (Asada at NHK, V&T at GPF). One of the worst examples of inflated PCS and political scoring. She is not even the best in Canada and scored objectively, would struggle to get above 140 for a combined SP/LP.

Next time Osmond competes internationally, all eyes will be on the judges to see if there is repeat of the Skate Canada scandal.

As for Nebelhorn, all she beat there was a Sotnikova meltdown.

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
Oksanafan, you must be a Suzuki fan. Osmond was ahead of Suzuki in the Sp because of Suzuki's mistakes. Osmond was behind Suzuki in the Lp. Suzuki seems to usually get low PCS. It is not every other skaters fault or a judging scandal. Suzuki is getting better as the season progresses. But so is Osmond. She has advanced a lot since JW and her marks have reflected that

gmyers

Record Breaker
Liza's PCS is so poor that she must do 2 triple axels next season imo

She has to dramatically increase her jump content. Even last year she won events but not a free skate because her pcs was so poor and got worse this season. She is going backwards in pcs. Seems like judges are rejecting everything about her in pcs. different choreographers and maybe she needs do something more drastic.

I wouldn't rule out Elizaveta. She's getting used to her growth spurt, but she's exciting to watch when she's on. I wouldn't rule out any of the Russian ladies for that matter. They are all talented, but haven't quite been able to break through as a lot of people thought they would. Even though Liza & Julia had spurts of grand prix success. They're not as polished in the presentation side of things, but they got the jumps. Plus, home-court advantage. I also really like Zijun and want a keep an eye out for her progress up to the Olympics.

Having the jumps is not getting her where she needs to be. Liza needs to come back next season radically different in every pcs way. Someone has to be hired who can make her get non-embarrassing pcs.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She has to dramatically increase her jump content. Even last year she won events but not a free skate because her pcs was so poor and got worse this season. She is going backwards in pcs. Seems like judges are rejecting everything about her in pcs. different choreographers and maybe she needs do something more drastic.

Having the jumps is not getting her where she needs to be. Liza needs to come back next season radically different in every pcs way. Someone has to be hired who can make her get non-embarrassing pcs.

Liza is a short girl but she gained weight thus making her slow on the ice
if she could lose weight net season she could build more speed her PCS should increase

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Oksanafan, you must be a Suzuki fan. Osmond was ahead of Suzuki in the Sp because of Suzuki's mistakes. Osmond was behind Suzuki in the Lp. Suzuki seems to usually get low PCS. It is not every other skaters fault or a judging scandal. Suzuki is getting better as the season progresses. But so is Osmond. She has advanced a lot since JW and her marks have reflected that

All that has advanced in connection with Osmond, is Osmondflation. No way did that mistake ridden program deserve the marks it got. Political fix

camion

On the Ice

I never said that they were. I meant it's easier to work on polishing presentation when you have a pretty good jumping ability versus having great presentation qualities but only mediocre jumping ability. You got to land the jumps first. Figure skating is a reputation sport and consistency can boost overall pcs. I think Liza needs to get consistent again and work on using the entire rink to maximize her pcs. Julia could get higher her pcs too. She's a business girl right now and at times a robot, but I think if you get the right program suited for her and remind her to not to just skate from point A to point B (a smile wouldn't hurt either) and her interpretation score would increase.

creme cup

Rinkside
Surely Yuna and Mao will be strong competitors/candidates for the gold.
Mao is a restless skater - she's never skipped a season and almost constantly on the podium. And she is so motivated for the gold.
And now Yuna is back - there are things to work out but her jumps are just there, and she has never been out of the podium in her career.

Also, there is room for new stars. We know that ANYTHING could happen.
Honestly when I first saw Patrick Chan's skate, I never really expected him to become a quad jumper in several seasons.

hohoho

On the Ice
All that has advanced in connection with Osmond, is Osmondflation. No way did that mistake ridden program deserve the marks it got. Political fix

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But don't inflation" usually come after proving yourself? Can't wait to see "Osmondflation" once she shows her consistency and refinement

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yu-Na Kim
Mao Asada
Miki Ando
Carolina Kostner.
Ashley Wagner
Akiko Suzuki.

Miki Ando a contender for Sochi, dont make me laugh. She is basically retired at this point, and even if she did she would never reach the level to be competitive now that Asada is getting herself back together, and Kim is going back strongly.

Crystallize

On the Ice
Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie had been known to attempt 3/3 and 3/3/3s in practice, so don't count her out!

Uh, Gracie pretty much is a lock to land her 3+3 in the SP and at least one in the long (she's got a second one planned that she landed in SLC and she lands consistently at home. At CoR, she didn't check hard enough on the landing of the flip to get the 1/2 loop to go). She more than "attempts" 3+3 in both the SP and LP. The 3+3+3 is UR on the third jump, so don't expect to see that. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
That would be awesome if it were between them and maybe add Akiko or Adelina to the mix. It would be nice if mao to win because she was so close last time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope the narrative of Sochi isn't Yuna vs Mao II. It's possible but I'd like to see a few other skaters in the mix for gold. Both Yuna and Mao aren't as good now as they were in 2010, and that could be the case in 2014.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Uh, Gracie pretty much is a lock to land her 3+3 in the SP and at least one in the long (she's got a second one planned that she landed in SLC and she lands consistently at home. At CoR, she didn't check hard enough on the landing of the flip to get the 1/2 loop to go). She more than "attempts" 3+3 in both the SP and LP. The 3+3+3 is UR on the third jump, so don't expect to see that. :)

The Olympics are more than a year away. Room and time for progress? Yes.

hurrah

Medalist
May be, may not be. Too early to tell. With Mao, there's no telling if her jump modification will be completed by Sochi, and with Yuna, heck, she just competed once just a few days ago, and while her toe jumps were more or less intact (though looking a bit Kanakoesque), the spins weren't there, the stamina wasn't there.

Other skaters, too. Who knows. It would be awesome for Carolina to come back and do a program with 3-3, or one of the Russian babies to get through puberty and develop into the full package, or Akiko to keep up her improvement through til Sochi. I'd love it if Mirai were to get back into shape.

Alot of it has to do with avoiding injury and getting over whatever technical weaknesses that still remain in time for Sochi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.