2014 Olympics: Asada vs. Kim | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics: Asada vs. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper

Medalist
Not strictly "cultural", or probably that's not the super right word to use. In short- let's say Vasya Solovjov, a Russian TV sport commentator (who is also famous for talking crap), would say "Judges like Yuna", I am more than sure no one of Yuna fans would bother to notice that or comment him on forums. While Mai is another story. Because she is : 1. Japanese, 2. Mao's sister. :laugh:

oh.. not all yuna fans are koreans. i'm not korean and not all are caught up with this whole korea vs japan which is annoying to begin with. :rolleye:

Laughing Man

Rinkside
Well, I heard Yuna would not be able to take part in 4CC since she was already scheduled to attend an important event on the same day or the period, the Special Olympics, perhaps? So it is not that she decided not to compete there.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that...I thought maybe she wanted to stay home to get a better shot at that IOC committee member thing; or does this Special Olys event have something to do with that? :confused:

As for Sochi I think it is no longer about Yuna and Mao. I can now see more than two contenders in ladies field. Sure, Yuna is a front runner as of now but younger skaters are coming to the front as well. Russia has Liza, Adelina and Julia to name a few, Canada has Kaetlyn and America has GG. Ashley will be there and I cannot overlook Carolina, Akiko, Mirai or Kanako. All of them have potential of either maturing or declining (due to their age) by the time. 2013-2014 will be so exciting for FS fans!

You're totally right. I guess it's just hard for us to ignore Yuna & Mao rivalry as it was the highlight in former Olys, but Yuna had been absent for a while and Mao was/is reforming her jumps since then, so the other girls may have more advantages than we can imagine at the moment.

Akiko attended Kokutai, the national sports fest, last year too? As 4CC is in Japan and there will be no competition for her at all in the event, I think she takes it as another opportunity to skate in a competitive but less tensive atmosphere? Hopefully she was not forced to attend it by her federation. I am looking forward to seeing her skate both programs clean!

I think she entered Kokutai once or twice before, but I don't think she ever entered that competition along with 4CC and Worlds. The way she messed up her FS in Jpnse Nats was painful to watch, and I felt maybe she was getting a bit tired from competing up to GPF. That's why I think the Kokutai competition is too much for her. However, I'm guessing maybe she wanted to enter herself so she can do better than she did in Nats, regain her confidence again, then go on to 4CC and Worlds. If so, it might be good for her. I certainly do hope the Jpnse Fed didn't force her though...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, like the others, not aware of the Special Olympics commitment. Of course, it makes sense she wouldn't be at 4CC then. My opinion previously came without having that knowledge, so thanks for everyone for providing that info.

Honestly I do wish she could be at 4CC because she's had some memorable 4CC performances in the past. Her World Championship in 2009 came after a fantastic 4CC competition, after all. :biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist
oh.. not all yuna fans are koreans.
:rolleye: Thanks for that reminder.

Mai...chose to make herself look like an idiot
I agree.

Japanese media sucks and they may obsesse about Yuna a little too much
It seems so.

Mrs. P - YuNa did not go to 4CC in 2010, in her home country, and she had a decent outing at the Olympics. :p

As a selfish YuNa fan, I would love to see her skate more rather than less, but the selfless side of me believes she knows what she wants or is best for her. She doesn't seem to have a single-track mind, so I don't think even winning Worlds in London is her first priority anyhow.

"It's all in your mind, girls!" - Irina :biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist
Firstly, I just want to say that I do not think die-hard Mao fans are the most unbiased interpreters of Mai's words, just as die-hard YuNa fans may not be, either. Fluent/native Japanese speakers exist who are also YuNa fans and have interpreted what Mai says, without inserting any of their "personal touches", I should say. Although one could fairly say that interpretation always involves some level of subjectivity and, to that extent, some bias from the interpreter by the nature of its job.

Saying "Maybe the judges like her" is far different from saying "Maybe the judges like her skating." The former, which is what Mai actually said, implies judge favoritism to me. Is my interpretation not acceptable at any level? Is it completely unreasonable for me, or other YuNa fans, to take the less positive view? I doubt any of us are losing sleep over it because the show will not change how skaters skate at actual competitions in the future. But, we're figure skating fans who talk about irrelevant stuff all the time on skating forums...because it's fun for us and I don't think it's either kind or acceptable to suggest we have some personality defects/hallucinations/vicarious persecution complex just because we don't agree with one person's translation.

I admit I have come to not like Mai from what I can see and understand in her participation in this show (please? am I allowed to have my own point of view without having some kind of illness?) Citing one's own experience as a competitor, and then stating that you don't know why YuNa scores so high (claiming ignorance) is implying something along the lines of "although I am familiar with the scoring methods and standards for figure skating, there is nothing in YuNa's skating that I can identify that justifies how she scores so high relative to the others. Nothing to do with athleticism, or artistic merit. It's just so mysterious...hmm, in matters like this perhaps it's best to just say 'No comment!' hehehhehee..." :rolleye:

The fact that these comments were said after clips of YuNa's NRW outing...with her popped 3-jump combo...and her falling on the 2T attached to her successful 3S...her only mistakes and nothing else (no clips of her renowned 3Lz-3T, or artistic flourishes, etc.) then landing in 1st place... I mean, what is the average viewer supposed to think? It's exactly the sort of thing that fans the flames of bot-wars.

None of this in any way changes my respect and affection for Mao. Mao has always been a class act.

Perhaps there is a cultural difference here?

Because if I had a baby sister or an older sister (which I don't), I'd expect her to be on my side :)
In the US I have it on the authority of NBC News that we love nepotism
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Why-We-Love-Nepotism-159072785.html

Or as Mayor Daley of Chicago said:
It may be cultural and individual, doris. :) I, along with jaylee, think it's more honest and honorable to not knee-jerk jump to sibling defense every single time. I love my brother, and I will tell him if I think he is getting a bit pudgy and should start exercising regularly again because I care about him improving himself or keeping his health. Furthermore, putting in a word of praise or two towards a rival--at the least to try to explain why they are scored highly as many non-fans can grudgingly admit on general figure skating boards--does NOT automatically mean we're putting down our siblings, right? At least when mature adults are speaking...

The only thing which bothers me is that she's skipping 4CC...
I'm curious why it bothers you if you are not particularly vested in YuNa's skating and competitive successes? I am just going by your self-proclamation of not being a YuNa fan. As a YuNa fan who delights in seeing her skate every single time, it's interesting that it does not bother me but that it bothers you so I'm interested to know.

I'm also not sure what Yuna has to gain by skipping out on 4CC.
I don't think YuNa's promised participation in the Special Olympics around the same time is a small responsibility to shrug off and, while I agree that more competitive practice for YuNa would be better for her for the upcoming Worlds, I admire that she takes her duties seriously and does not just put herself first. Unlike other skaters who may just wish to chase glory for themselves (nothing wrong with that), YuNa has shown that she also has charitable interests and an extra 4CC outing (that may or may not bump up her Worlds 2013 showing) is probably not going to make or break her career.

Well, like the others, not aware of the Special Olympics commitment. Of course, it makes sense she wouldn't be at 4CC then. My opinion previously came without having that knowledge, so thanks for everyone for providing that info.
:)

Actually, the Special Olympics ends on Tuesday, February 5, and Four Continents begins Wednesday, February 6. Air distance from Pyeongcheng to Osaka, 706 kilometers. Time, 52 minutes. :)

In fact, the ladies SP isn't until Saturday. Yu-na could pass out the medals to the Olympians on Tuesday, go clubbing with Michelle on Wednesday, smooze with the IOC folks on Thursday, catch the red eye to Osaka and still have time to get in a practice. :yes:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
actually, the special olympics ends on tuesday, february 5, and four continents begins wednesday, february 6. Air distance from pyeongcheng to osaka, 706 kilometers. Time, 52 minutes. :)

in fact, the ladies sp isn't until saturday. Yu-na could pass out the medals to the olympians on tuesday, go clubbing with michelle on wednesday, smooze with the ioc folks on thursday, catch the red eye to osaka and still have time to get in a practice. :yes:

lol.

prettykeys

Medalist
Actually, the Special Olympics ends on Tuesday, February 5, and Four Continents begins Wednesday, February 6. Air distance from Pyeongcheng to Osaka, 706 kilometers. Time, 52 minutes. :)

In fact, the ladies SP isn't until Saturday. Yu-na could pass out the medals to the Olympians on Tuesday, go clubbing with Michelle on Wednesday, smooze with the IOC folks on Thursday, catch the red eye to Osaka and still have time to get in a practice. :yes:
Oh, that's just ridiculous, Mathman! Married women don't still go clubbing! (or do they? ;) )

Either way, the dates of the events are pretty close. Maybe YuNa likes to meditate and sleep in a cryogenic restoration chamber for a week between major appearances. I like to rejuvenate between busy work weeks by slothing at home and lurking forums. ;) Whereas some of my friends like to be work party work party clubbing party why won't you come out with us more prettykeys? Go go go!

I'm glad that more skating fans were made aware of YuNa's involvement. Since she's a major focus of my attention when I discuss figure skating, I take it for granted the things I talk about with my fellow fans.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Um, I'm married and I still go clubbing once in a while. I usually like to show my bling if there are guys trying to cause trouble. :)

prettykeys

Medalist
Um, I'm married and I still go clubbing once in a while. I usually like to show my bling if there are guys trying to cause trouble. :)
lol, my bad. No one I know who is married or over 30, clubs, but maybe it's different where you are. Not really my thing. Though, when the troublemakers appear, that's when I show them my BF (or he shows himself.) :laugh:

Laughing Man

Rinkside
I'm curious why it bothers you if you are not particularly vested in YuNa's skating and competitive successes? I am just going by your self-proclamation of not being a YuNa fan. As a YuNa fan who delights in seeing her skate every single time, it's interesting that it does not bother me but that it bothers you so I'm interested to know.:)

Not sure why you'd be so interested about me, but anyway...I was wondering if Yuna thought entering 4CC before Worlds might be too much for her in her come-back season; this is because she seemed to have stamina issues in her first competition's FS this season. Her skills seemed good, but I imagined she might need some time to build more strength for the coming competitions then. She did much better in Nats (though her last spin was a bit shaky), so I reckoned the more she enters competitions the more she may get better. Thus I was merely thinking 'why not enter 4CC?', that's all. But then I read an article about the Olys comittee thing going on at the same time, and with given info from rondoboy, it started to make sense. Btw, although I mentioned I'm not her fan, that doesn't mean I have no interest in Yuna. What kind of a figure skating singles fan can possibly not have interest in a skater as good as she is? I'm interested in which competitions she'll be entering or not, just as I'm interested about those things on Ashley, Kiira, Carolina, Kaetlyn (amazing!), along with my personal faves like Mao, Akiko, Christina, Liza and Zijun. While I'm a fan of Mao, I'm not interested only in her. I've been following the sport since way before she ever showed up. I don't think there's no need to categorize all Mao fans automatically into Maobots, just the same as Yuna fans shouldn't be categorized as Yuna fans altogether. Liking Mao doesn't mean you dislike or aren't interested in Yuna, and it goes the other way around as well. There are many people who are very much interested in both of them, and I think that's why someone posted this topic in the first place. :cool:

Congrats to Michelle! She, Sasha and Irina used to be my divas in the 6.0 days...Michelle's been living her life in such a respectful way even after she left competition, I'm so happy for her marriage too. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please guys, stick to the topic of 2014 Ladies, and stop killing each other over a bit of TV fluff?

Please do not insult other posters.

Please do not drag hard feelings and arguments from other boards onto Golden Skate.

Please do not bicker, repeating the same argument over and over, especially when the argument is not the main topic of the thread?

Please do not reveal other people's private information, if you know it from some other board.

Please do not stereotype or denigrate people because of their country, race, religion, or sexual orientation.

All of the above are against the GS Guidelines.

Posts that are against the guidelines will be unapproved, particularly in the above cases. If your post disappears, consider whether you did one of the above things, or whether you quoted a poster who did one of the above things. Even if your post is relatively blameless, if it quotes a bad post, it may disappear as well.

A number of posts are now invisible in this thread, and this is why they are invisible.

Golden Skate likes both YuNa and Mao. We also like Liza, Carolina, Kaetlyn, Mao, Akiko, Ashley, Zijun, and all the other great skaters out there from every country. We want fans of all skaters from whatever countries to feel comfortable here. You can help us achieve that goal by obeying the guidelines.

Finally, if you object to a post, Please report it to the moderators by using the little black triangle with the exclamation mark inside it that is at the bottom left of the offending post. This information is instantly reported to all the moderators; letters & PMs may not be read immediately.

If you find a particular poster objectionable, please consider putting that post on Ignore. This thread explains how to do it:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35354-How-to-Ignore-Other-Posters

Okay, now you can go back to posting!

venlac

On the Ice
funny video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKHxP...layer_embedded

(After the prediction of gold medalist for Sochi Olympics)

Panel 1 : Legends could've seen what's going on..
Panel 2, Mai : Yeah..
Panel 3 : I just noticed that the legend skaters who picked Mao for the gold are all women.
Panel 1 : Yes, Katia and Dorothy.
Panel 3 : It seems that they were right in judging...
Panel 1 : You think that women usually predict more accurately?
Panel 3 : I think so.
Panel 2(Mai) : Besides, they both are gold medalists. Skaters who picked Yuna are not gold medalist except Kulik. It means more gold medalist picked Mao than Yuna.
Panel 3 : I don't care about other skaters opinions.
Panel 1 : You don't care about them? You made a daring remark.

Last edited:

venlac

On the Ice
Not strictly "cultural", or probably that's not the super right word to use. In short- let's say Vasya Solovjov, a Russian TV sport commentator (who is also famous for talking crap), would say "Judges like Yuna", I am more than sure no one of Yuna fans would bother to notice that or comment him on forums. While Mai is another story. Because she is : 1. Japanese, 2. Mao's sister. :laugh:

I remember that comments in Olympic sp. He upset and said "why? why brian oser is highly respected than tarasova ?" except this nationalism commentor, i have never seen that commentators criticized Kim (oh, of course except Japanese casters)
and i have seen that mao asada was Criticized. Most recently, in nhk trophy, as euro commentor said that "ridiculous. traversty of justice"
I think that the most strangely, her pcs is always much Higher than Akiko Suzuki's pcs.:confused: (gpf- mao had seven points ahead in pcs than suzuki)
here is PCS list. And, please check who is real pcs queen. i think that carolina and mao (maybe in olympic season joannie, too?)

yuna kim
mao asada
carolina kostner
miki ando
joannie rochette

mao's 10 nhk terrible... pcs/ tes percent; 166%
sometimes maofans claims that "mao is strong in technically than artistry" :think: but, after i saw this charts, i think that claim is different with facts. she is "artistry mao":laugh:

Last edited:

venlac

On the Ice
mao asada's Triple jump during the last three seasons, rate of success

10-11
3a 1/8 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 6/12 3s 3/4 3t 0/2

11-12
3a 0/4 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 10/12 3s 1/4 3t 2/2

12-13
3a 0 3lo 8/9 3lz 0/3 3f 4/9 3s 1/3 3t 1/3

I think she is really strong in 3LO
rule changed after olympic season,
It is a good thing for her that the basic score of loop is incleased (2lo +0.3/3lo +0.2)

and loop is also a only jump that yuna can't

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
I remember that comments in Olympic sp. He upset and said "why? why brian oser is highly respected than tarasova ?" except this nationalism commentor, i have never seen that commentators criticized Kim (oh, of course except Japanese casters)
and i have seen that mao asada was Criticized. Most recently, in nhk trophy, as euro commentor said that "ridiculous. traversty of justice"
I think that the most strangely, her pcs is always much Higher than Akiko Suzuki's pcs.:confused: (gpf- mao had seven points ahead in pcs than suzuki)
here is PCS list. And, please check who is real pcs queen. i think that carolina and mao (maybe in olympic season joannie, too?)

yuna kim
mao asada
carolina kostner
miki ando
joannie rochette

mao's 10 nhk terrible... pcs/ tes percent; 166%
sometimes maofans claims that "mao is strong in technically than artistry" :think: but, after i saw this charts, i think that claim is different with facts. she is "artistry mao":laugh:

have you heard of something called goe? that's the perfect tool to manipulate the scores, the technical score to be more specific. The technical content can be twice as difficult but that doesn't matter since crazy goe eazily can cover that up!

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
And, please check who is real pcs queen. i think that carolina and mao (maybe in olympic season joannie, too?)
Sweetheart, you should look at the poster's name more carefully before to reply. Of course I checked teeh charts you were referring to because I was the one who posted the link to Caro and the rest a few days ago on Ladies Euro thread. Nothing new for me here.

venlac

On the Ice
have you heard of something called goe? that's the perfect tool to manipulate the scores, the technical score to be more specific. The technical content can be twice as difficult but that doesn't matter since crazy goe eazily can cover that up!

oh, okay, kim's high score because of goe, you got any doubt? her jumps is called the greatest of all time.nobody female skaters has like her jumps quality, distance and power, similar to a man.(as Tarasova said, "her jumps is similar to mans jump")

3Lz+3T Combo by Yu-Na Kim and Evan Lysacek

Experts usually appreciate Yuna(maybe until the 2010 Olympics) ; whole package, but they showed more positive in technology than artistry.
Ted Barton who helped devise the new points-based scoring system said "Technically, she's the greatest of all time," Italy commentor said, 'What a technical course is!'
Yamaguchi said, "Certainly, it has taken women's skating to another level. Technically. The whole package. "Kurt Browning said "She gave a wonderful standard in the women's singles,"
Robin Cousins said "There isn't a move Yuna makes that doesn't give her points, "

i trust that experts and legend skaters claims, than mao fan's claims here.;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.