Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Olympics: Asada vs. Kim

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Gracie had been known to attempt 3/3 and 3/3/3s in practice, so don't count her out!
    Uh, Gracie pretty much is a lock to land her 3+3 in the SP and at least one in the long (she's got a second one planned that she landed in SLC and she lands consistently at home. At CoR, she didn't check hard enough on the landing of the flip to get the 1/2 loop to go). She more than "attempts" 3+3 in both the SP and LP. The 3+3+3 is UR on the third jump, so don't expect to see that.

Custom Title
    That would be awesome if it were between them and maybe add Akiko or Adelina to the mix. It would be nice if mao to win because she was so close last time.

Custom Title
    I hope the narrative of Sochi isn't Yuna vs Mao II. It's possible but I'd like to see a few other skaters in the mix for gold. Both Yuna and Mao aren't as good now as they were in 2010, and that could be the case in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Uh, Gracie pretty much is a lock to land her 3+3 in the SP and at least one in the long (she's got a second one planned that she landed in SLC and she lands consistently at home. At CoR, she didn't check hard enough on the landing of the flip to get the 1/2 loop to go). She more than "attempts" 3+3 in both the SP and LP. The 3+3+3 is UR on the third jump, so don't expect to see that.
    The Olympics are more than a year away. Room and time for progress? Yes.

May be, may not be. Too early to tell. With Mao, there's no telling if her jump modification will be completed by Sochi, and with Yuna, heck, she just competed once just a few days ago, and while her toe jumps were more or less intact (though looking a bit Kanakoesque), the spins weren't there, the stamina wasn't there.

Other skaters, too. Who knows. It would be awesome for Carolina to come back and do a program with 3-3, or one of the Russian babies to get through puberty and develop into the full package, or Akiko to keep up her improvement through til Sochi. I'd love it if Mirai were to get back into shape.

Alot of it has to do with avoiding injury and getting over whatever technical weaknesses that still remain in time for Sochi.
    Last edited by hurrah; 12-10-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Medalist
    That would be fun to see again.
    Is yu na planning to go to sochi?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    If Liza wins Russian nationals or even wins a world medal which is extremely dobtful her pcs is not going to go from 53 to 63 and would need to be like 66 to go to Mao Carolina or Yuna level. The fact is that no one needs a 3f3t or anything like that. If Yuna can keep doing 3lz 3t and have it be consistent then maybe it will be needed. It's far more likely that yuna stops doing 3/3 than all of a sudden Mao or Carolina start doing them.
    Look at Ashley Wagner's PCS from a season or two back compared to now, it's about a 10 point increase and all that has really changed is she's skating more consistently now and is US number 1. She has improved, yes, the jumps are cleaner now than before, her confidence helps the performance, etc, but really, her PCS increase is really due to her status as number 1 US lady. If Liza can show she's the best Russian, her PCS scores will improve too as long as she continues to land the jumps. Start order also matters. Liza skated after Gao got 51 for PCS, so her 53 basically shows that the judges thought she was 2 points in PCS better than Gao. When Gao skated 7 out of 10 at SA, her PCS was almost 57, so in that situation, Liza being 2 points higher would be a 59. This is also why I think Osmond got the score she did at SC. She skated well in the SP so then she got to skate after great skaters with high PCS like Suzuki so the judges just gave her comparable PCS because by the time she skated, they had already become comfortable giving those marks out, and where she skated pretty well, there was no need to dock her way down for PCS. This is also why Gao, despite skating good FS at each of her competitions this season, got much lower scores, particularly PCS, at TEB and GPF. Saving big marks for the last few skaters isn't that uncommon, so if you happen to be one of the last skaters to skate, chances are your PCS will be more generous than if you are having to set the bar, or are following skaters who aren't that strong or didn't skate that well.

I don't think Liza can get PCS of 63+ internationally this season, no, but she can get up to around 60 if she can just skate a good SP and have a good draw for the FS. I know that sounds bad and makes PCS seem like a joke score, but it really is noticeable and true if you pay attention to things. Mirai's PCS were lower than Liza the GP season before she was 4th at the Olympics, and her SP PCS at Olympics wasn't great either because she skated so early, but then she made the final flight, skated last, and skated well, and her PCS went to 60. Yes she had improved, but had Mirai been in the penultimate group for the FS, I bet her score would have been quite a bit lower.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    That would be awesome if it were between them and maybe add Akiko or Adelina to the mix. It would be nice if mao to win because she was so close last time.
    Mao was closer to bronze than gold last time.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Liza is a short girl but she gained weight thus making her slow on the ice
    if she could lose weight net season she could build more speed her PCS should increase
    IMO she is not going to lose weight, at least not healthily. She has to instead try to maintain this weight and get more flattering costumes for it, and work hard to stabilize her jumps at the weight she is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Mao was closer to bronze than gold last time.
    I don't really remember the scores...I'll have to look for that information. Still I hope for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Look at Ashley Wagner's PCS from a season or two back compared to now, it's about a 10 point increase and all that has really changed is she's skating more consistently now and is US number 1. She has improved, yes, the jumps are cleaner now than before, her confidence helps the performance, etc, but really, her PCS increase is really due to her status as number 1 US lady. If Liza can show she's the best Russian, her PCS scores will improve too as long as she continues to land the jumps. Start order also matters. Liza skated after Gao got 51 for PCS, so her 53 basically shows that the judges thought she was 2 points in PCS better than Gao. When Gao skated 7 out of 10 at SA, her PCS was almost 57, so in that situation, Liza being 2 points higher would be a 59. This is also why I think Osmond got the score she did at SC. She skated well in the SP so then she got to skate after great skaters with high PCS like Suzuki so the judges just gave her comparable PCS because by the time she skated, they had already become comfortable giving those marks out, and where she skated pretty well, there was no need to dock her way down for PCS. This is also why Gao, despite skating good FS at each of her competitions this season, got much lower scores, particularly PCS, at TEB and GPF. Saving big marks for the last few skaters isn't that uncommon, so if you happen to be one of the last skaters to skate, chances are your PCS will be more generous than if you are having to set the bar, or are following skaters who aren't that strong or didn't skate that well.

I don't think Liza can get PCS of 63+ internationally this season, no, but she can get up to around 60 if she can just skate a good SP and have a good draw for the FS. I know that sounds bad and makes PCS seem like a joke score, but it really is noticeable and true if you pay attention to things. Mirai's PCS were lower than Liza the GP season before she was 4th at the Olympics, and her SP PCS at Olympics wasn't great either because she skated so early, but then she made the final flight, skated last, and skated well, and her PCS went to 60. Yes she had improved, but had Mirai been in the penultimate group for the FS, I bet her score would have been quite a bit lower.
    Lol it's true that pcs is not supposed to work this way. Like last year Liza was not even eligible for seniors like euros and worlds and her pcs was better. So now because of the situation where she is eligible she needs to establish herself as number one but the only way to really do that I think is to win euros or place first among all Russians there. She needs to work on not bombin short programs but becoming Russian champ will be difficult. I think it may be radionovas or lipnitskayas this year. Everyone is eligible!!

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I don't really remember the scores...I'll have to look for that information. Still I hope for her.
    Yeah she barely beat rochette in the fs and was lucky not to place 3rd in that segment because of her popped triple toe

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I completely forgot about Gracie Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Yuna, heck, she just competed once just a few days ago, and while her toe jumps were more or less intact (though looking a bit Kanakoesque), the spins weren't there, the stamina wasn't there.
    Mmm...I've noticed lately that a lot of Maobots are deluding themselves into believing that YuNa's developed a hammertoe of sorts, but, just...no.

Unless you meant to say that both Kanako and YuNa have nice height and rotation on their 3Flips, which I would agree with, and is more than can be said of a certain someone's underrotated 3Flips as of late...she may have escaped < dinges, but they were certainly not fully rotated.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    IMO she is not going to lose weight, at least not healthily. She has to instead try to maintain this weight and get more flattering costumes for it, and work hard to stabilize her jumps at the weight she is.
    i do agree whoever does her costumes need to be fired
    considering Liza's body type one should never let her wear a poofy costume, it makes her look heavy and bloated especially on TV/screens

She'd look nice in a flat skirt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I completely forgot about Gracie Gold!

Mmm...I've noticed lately that a lot of Maobots are deluding themselves into believing that YuNa's developed a hammertoe of sorts, but, just...no.

Unless you meant to say that both Kanako and YuNa have nice height and rotation on their 3Flips, which I would agree with, and is more than can be said of a certain someone's underrotated 3Flips as of late...she may have escaped < dinges, but they were certainly not fully rotated.
    It's by no means a hammer toe but she does lean a bit more than before on some of her jump take offs. I noticed that in her 3Lz combo and 3F in the short(but she did a gorgeous one in the LP). Her jumps are back but are not yet at the same quality as before. Still, by far, the best jumps in the current field. With more practice I believe she will have her jumps at the best quality possible. But you don't have to be a Maobot to notice the slight deterioration on her jumps which is perfectly normal for such a long period of time out of competition.
    There is no need of comparison between Mao and Yuna's jumps, it's clear Yuna's are miles away better. Not to mention they always had completely different technique

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast