Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The New judging system kills figure skating and loses the beauty of sport

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I don't know for the people in this forum. But, for me, I'm a figure skater and I begin to hate figure skating even if it was the sport that I like the most to do.
    Many skaters and skating fans who have grown up in 6.0 system have been having a hardtime adapting the CoP. I believe that the younger skaters and fans as well as the fans who are familiar only with CoP have much less issues with this current system. I personally think CoP is a much better system for figure skating. There are so many more beautiful, and actually in fact more interesting programs under it than under 6.0 system. Wondering why you haven't found them?

actually a lot of 6.0 skaters embraced it when it started, and still find good things about it - moreso than bad. The retired ones that don't are the ones that didn't want the change to begin with - Kurt Browning changed his mind about it after skating in a pro comp with it this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Kurt Browning changed his mind about it after skating in a pro comp with it this year.
    Yeah, now Kurt appreciats the hardwork of the skaters and the current system more than ever.

I don't think he ever underappreciated the work skaters put into their skating... he was there once upon a time...

Custom Title
    True. Kurt is actually one of a few famous 6.0 era skaters who have appreciated and very much understood the CoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    True. Kurt is actually one of a few famous 6.0 era skaters who have appreciated and very much understood the CoP.
    he's one of those "live in the moment" types... so while I think he looks fondly on the past, he doesn't get stuck in it. he's a "let it go" kinda guy - by his own admission.

Custom Title
    Isn't this sort of what's happening to gymnastics too? required elements, more skills to put in, less choreography, less individuality in certain aspects, more checkpoints to mark off, difficulty vs how well the element is executed, advancing difficulty, etc.

he's one of those "live in the moment" types... so while I think he looks fondly on the past, he doesn't get stuck in it. he's a "let it go" kinda guy - by his own admission.
    I'm sure that attitude is what got him through when he burned down his own house with a leaf blower.

But joking aside, I think John Nicks, Brian Orser and Morozov are all CoP savvy guys from starkly different judging systems. I'm not sure how much they appreciate it, but they're definitely shrewd about it.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I don't know for the people in this forum. But, for me, I'm a figure skater and I begin to hate figure skating even if it was the sport that I like the most to do.

I think the new scoring system ensures that skaters do not take any risks and make all things easier. For example, women no longer try the triple lutz and replaced by triple toe / triple toe.

Also, I think it becomes redundant, the skater spins with the new system are not at all original, everyone does the same positions to get levels 4.

Really figure skating has lost its beauty, in the past, spins were much more perform to give style and elegance at the choice of music, today's skaters are no longer spins to properly interpret music . Skaters are spins to earn points even if the positions are ugly and they do not fit with the music.

The footwork are also much less interesting. Why skaters can not interpret their music as they want and can not put it the turn and the step like they want to.

For example this kind of skating is missing for me :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwXYdkSK4g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlVeNEBFKE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gJ5H3ubfA

You can really see that in the debut of the new scoring and in the past with the 6,0 system, that the skater was more free and skate more fabulous program because they try the difficulty and the footwork sequence and spin was simply art and beauty for being with the music.

It's sad because, I tell myself that if I begin to not like the sport, guess how the people who knew nothing about skating, how can they love our sport? Nowadays, the element in the program are completely redundant ... What are your thought? Do you think like me that the new system kill figure skating and is the reason why figure skating is less popular year by year?
    I agree with you, totally, this is my feeling, too. I adored the FS in my whole life, but not now. I can't explan, I'm only bored of many programs.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 12-10-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm sure that attitude is what got him through when he burned down his own house with a leaf blower.
    Not one of his finer moments, but having had a fire myself - I can totally sympathise with a lack of judgement moment...

Custom Title
    Not one of his finer moments, but having had a fire myself - I can totally sympathise with a lack of judgement moment...
    Oh, I'm really sorry about that. Totally distasteful on my part. I meant it in the most light-hearted way knowing that his wife & kids weren't hurt, but yeah totally uncalled for. Sorry again.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Oh, I'm really sorry about that. Totally distasteful on my part. I meant it in the most light-hearted way knowing that his wife & kids weren't hurt, but yeah totally uncalled for. Sorry again.
    no I know you meant nothing by it... but Kurt got hosed (pun not intended) when it happened by folks all over (not just in skating fandoms)... I was pretty critical of him too (I mean really a LEAF blower? LOL) but then I had to remember I set fire to my kitchen by turning on a pot of oil on high instead of a tea pot... go me! *facepalm*

Definitely not one of either of our finermoments... so in that way I sympathize!

Custom Title
    no I know you meant nothing by it... but Kurt got hosed (pun not intended) when it happened by folks all over (not just in skating fandoms)... I was pretty critical of him too (I mean really a LEAF blower? LOL) but then I had to remember I set fire to my kitchen by turning on a pot of oil on high instead of a tea pot... go me! *facepalm*

Definitely not one of either of our finermoments... so in that way I sympathize!
    Still I'm sorry. Whatever the cause and even if there weren't fatalities I'd hate losing things in a fire, especially things that mattered and couldn't be replaced. It seemed distant when I read it in an article, but when I read someone that has first-hand experience with it I can see how crude my one-liner was; so sorry to you and to Kurt (I doubt he lurks over here but just in case).

To the topic at hand- I forgot to add to my initial post that I do think that some aspects of beauty are lost with such a busy CoP in areas like spins and SS.

Apology accepted - though none needed!

I miss the simplicity of some spins... that classic layback (ala Angela Nikodinov, Sarah Hughes)... never liked the layback that Kwan did... or the other variations that we see now...

Custom Title
    I'm gonna sound like Dick Button, but when you mention classic layback you can't forget Sasha's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I agree with you, totally, this is my feeling, too. I adored the FS in my whole life, but not now. I can't explan, I'm only bored of many programs.
    Is there any other reason/reasons besides CoP? Given that you have such an username but he is not competing much?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast