Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Discussion on the vid wars of skaters by fans.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And thank goodness for that! I remember the first time I encountered video commentary. It wasn't a separate video but written posts under a perfectly wonderful video. Of course it was one of Michelle's, because I looked her vids up the most. I was so agitated to see such foul language used against anyone, but especially against a young person who had done nothing but try to excel at a sport. I felt almost grimy after I read it. I can't understand why anyone would be that scurrilously intense about a total stranger.
    Is it wrong to assume that might have been the work of the obsessed anti-Kwan nut?

For those who avoid reading YouTube comments, the basic story is that Michelle Kwan videos have been attacked for years by the same person using multiple accounts. This person has literally posted hundreds, if not thousands, of negative comments over a span of quite a few years. Its accounts will even talk to each other in an attempt to make its numbers appear larger, but it is obvious that it is the same person.

I once tried to figure out who this person's real identity actually was, but I was never able to come up with anything definitive. I would love to know if it is someone with a personal grudge against her or just a typical loon.

Now, more recently, there have been tons of racist comments left on videos of her performances. These are very different from the way the crazy, obsessed hater typically operates, so they're probably not related.
    Last edited by Riemann; 12-11-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwylime View Post
    I'm very confused with all this controversy surrounding Mao and Yuna. I know it's a country rivalry thing, but I was shocked to see even the country news media (Japanese especially.. or at least they were the ones I found on Youtube) projecting negative reports on the skaters.
    Oh, modern technology, so beautiful ... yet so ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    I hate what the rabid "fans" did on Youtube. But i doubt anyone has gotten more crazy videos posted about them as Yu-Na has

But whatever, it doesn't matter, because Yu-Na is still an Olympic champion, the whole world saw her win it gloriously, and no one can ever rewrite the past to take it away from her. So the haters can just drown in their own bitterness.
    And on the other hand, Mao Asada is still a two-time World Champion and has landed a record three triple axels in a single event by a lady and no one can ever take those away from her.

Allegations of "paying off the judges" and the like have appeared on both sides. If one side accuses the other of cheating more than the other does, does that make it okay? NO, because they're both still doing it.

(And I don't like the side-by-side comparison videos either. It's not like they're doing the same program ...)

My point is, no matter who started it, the "other side" continued it. Quite frankly, both sides are to blame.

Yuna and Mao are both beautiful skaters in their own rights.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.

I know that we've allowed this thread on here - so it openned up the can of worms - but let's not start calling out youtube posters as they cannot defend themselves to the allegations on another board. We don't allow board dragging, but that also applies to youtube. Keep it general, folks, or better yet - let's promise each other that we're not going to go down that nasty tunnel of hate again. Thanks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Jaylee, I used to work with young kids, and they'd always stay, but he started it. To which I'd reply, but you continued it. Spare us this sort of tl;dr historical narrative, nobody cares nor wants to return to the days of the bot wars. Especially since morozombie has already summed it up so well.
    Buttercup, the OP had a question. Did anyone actually answer it before I did? No. Morozombie's video (I LOVE IT!) is a parody (not a summary)--but you can only get all of the humor if you know something of what originally happened. Which no one in this thread really explained.

I had every right to answer the question with as many details (actually, details to provide support for my statements) as I wanted. You don't have to read it if you don't care. You don't have to respond if you don't care. A summary of what happened is not a return to the bot wars. My post isn't about assigning blame and it's silly that you took it that way. It's about summing up what happened, as I experienced it, a figure skating fan on Youtube. It is exactly a historical narrative, but if you don't want to discuss it, you don't have to. Clearly there are other more worthy threads you need to read and participate in.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    And on the other hand, Mao Asada is still a two-time World Champion and has landed a record three triple axels in a single event by a lady and no one can ever take those away from her.
    100% agree but I should point out that I ended with the line about Yu-Na because I felt it was needed after I had to list ALL of the videos that DID try to take away from her reputation. I made it very clear that the videos I mentioned about Mao were bogus and obviously didn't take anything away from her.

Allegations of "paying off the judges" and the like have appeared on both sides. If one side accuses the other of cheating more than the other does, does that make it okay? NO, because they're both still doing it.
    And I specifically listed examples of the horrible videos made about Mao. (Forgot about the paying off the judges one, thank you.) My whole post wasn't about "what's okay"--none of it is okay and I said that. That should've been obvious.

My point is, no matter who started it, the "other side" continued it. Quite frankly, both sides are to blame.
    Point taken. Sure, both sides are to blame. But since you're so pointed about this, I want to say that's not what my post was about.

The fact of the matter is, that videos directed against one skater went on longer, had a larger variety of attacks, and were in a greater volume, and yeah, got even more views of those videos. That's just a fact. If you want to assign blame equally to both "sides" regardless of that and regardless of who started it, that's up to you. No problem. Actually, my line about Yu-Na shows I don't care about the blame. It wasn't about assigning blame or trying to make a case for punishment--there will never be any punishment for those involved, unfortunately.

The OP had a question and I answered it in detail. Things like blame, who started it, who should've ended it, who is worse...I actually don't care about any of that. It is what it is.

Yuna and Mao are both beautiful skaters in their own rights.
    agreed.
    Last edited by jaylee; 12-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Ok, I think we can move on now.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I know that we've allowed this thread on here - so it openned up the can of worms - but let's not start calling out youtube posters as they cannot defend themselves to the allegations on another board. We don't allow board dragging, but that also applies to youtube.
    OK, acknowledged and respected. Won't happen again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3