Discussion on the vid wars of skaters by fans. | Golden Skate

Discussion on the vid wars of skaters by fans.

ohwylime

Spectator
Hi!

So I'm a new figure skating fan. I watched it during the Vancouver Winter Olympics and absolutely fell in love with the sport, the figure skaters and just the artistic aspect of it. I've been watching many more figure skating videos online now and to be honest I'm still not quite sure how things work with scoring etc.

I'm very confused with all this controversy surrounding Mao and Yuna. I know it's a country rivalry thing, but I was shocked to see even the country news media (Japanese especially.. or at least they were the ones I found on Youtube) projecting negative reports on the skaters.

Seeing so many comments/videos about how Kim Yuna is over scored and is not as exceptional as reported, I was wondering if any of you more experienced skating fans can say something about it.

Thanks!!

Edit:
Thank you everyone for your reply. Both Mao and Yuna are excellent skaters, and I guess I was too naive when I was perusing Youtube. I also didn't realize there has been so much 'hate' for so many skaters like Kwan (who I always thought no one hated) or Patrick.

I will definitely be aware of silly youtube comments and videos.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
not again :disapp:
I am sick of the Kim overscored debate , the answer is NO
Yuna's technical abilities alone is far ahead than any other veteran ladies
her PCS is the highest because and she has one the best speed

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
This thread has a high chance of becoming an absolute trainwreck.

ohwhylime, Youtube videos and their associated comments are not always the most reliable source of accurate information, particularly when it comes to the Kim-Asada rivalry. A more accurate way to learn more about scoring is to read the technical handbooks and such that are easily accessible on the ISU's website: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-152055-169271-nav-list,00.html

MiRé

Match Penalty
Answer is NO.

And, I'm going to ask you a question. Mao Asada, Overscored? :mad:

ohwylime

Spectator
Okay! It seems like I've opened a can of worms that I shouldn't have touched.. haha :slink:

I think I'll just avoid reading those comments from now on, and try to build my own understanding by reading through the rules and I guess simply by watching more videos of different skaters etc.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I've been a skating fan for years, but I'm not very good at the subtleties of technique. And even I can tell the difference between YuNa's jumps and those of just about every other lady. When I watched her long program at the Olympics, the triple-triple she did looked as if she had jets in her skates--it was that big. In terms of flow, arms, and so on, I'd give the edge to Mao, but in terms of just about everything else, YuNa left everyone else in the dust. So I think you can rest easy that YuNa is marked so high because she really is that good.

Riemann

Rinkside
Choo-choo... *CRASH*

Love me a thread with train wreck potential.

As for the question, her marks at her latest competition were generous, but it was a Senior B, so one should not be surprised by someone like Kim receiving generous scoring.

Overall, however, I don't think she is usually overscored.

naan

Rinkside
It starts again :rofl:
The answer is - NO. Yuna gets high score because she's soooo great!

I recommend you not to watch and believe those silly videos such as 'Yuna kim is hated by other skaters', 'Yuna kim's shocking manner' :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure this has been posted many times, but this is the ultimate parody of all the Yuna/Mao hate videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnsgeAv-3z8

That made me laugh! Also Morozombie is a great skating blog!

Anyway I was a bit leary when I saw the thread title, but I get that the OP was sincere in trying to figure why all those videos are out there.

Perhaps the discussion can be less of "Is Yuna overscored" and more an interesting discussion on their perceptions of whether skaters are, in general, scored correctly relative to what they put into the ice, the nature of the competition. Just a thought.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
An Asada fan (lets be real, new poster and all but who else would start a thread like this) starting a thread about Kim being overscored, after Asada receiving ridiculously inflated scores 4 programs in a row now, and having the most controversial win in years in one of those 2 events. Rich, and comical all at once. :laugh:

Good to see the Andofan and YuNafan backbiting already beginning though. Inevitable signs the two queens of ladies skating are set to retake dominance of the field and resume their battle for World supremacy over the next year and half. The free ride for aging Ando winning World titles with 5 triples and lutzless Kostner doubling jumps and winning Worlds is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh joy, with Yuna back and Mao in good form, the bots will descend upon us! Feels like we're back in 2009-10.

These days everyone is overscored anyway. Except K/S.

I :love: Morozombie's blog, and that video was awesome.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
So it is impossible to be a fan of both Yuna AND Mao? It certainly seems that way.

Sorry, I like them both and if they are in the same competition I want the best to win.

Welcome, ohwylime. Thanks for joining the Golden Skate Forum.

The videos that you are looking at are several years old now. Things have calmed down quite a bit in the fan wars between the "Maosketeers" and the "Yuna dholes" ;) When Yu-na Kim and Mao Asada were fighting it out for World and Olympic championships the figure skating boards were full of shouting matches by youthful partisans who wanted to re-fight World War II.

Links to foolish and hateful Youtubes are not allowed on Golden Skate, and sadly we had to ban a few overzealous patriots back in the those days to keep the peace. Just ignore tham. Instead, check out all the thoughtful and balanced analyses that posters contribute to Golden Skate. (You can start with Olympia's post above.) :yes: :)

babyalligator

On the Ice
So it is impossible to be a fan of both Yuna AND Mao? It certainly seems that way.

Sorry, I like them both and if they are in the same competition I want the best to win.

It definitely is NOT impossible! I like them both too. :)
I think most of us have our favorites, but recognize that the best skater should win.

It is best to just ignore people who deliberately try to create drama and bad feelings.

It definitely is NOT impossible! I like them both too. :)
I think most of us have our favorites, but recognize that the best skater should win.

It is best to just ignore people who deliberately try to create drama and bad feelings.
ITA. Could not have said it better.

lavender

Record Breaker

Same here. I do want Mao to get her OG but otherwise I'm rooting for either or to do their best. I don't go on Yu na or Mao sites...no way. That would only raise my pressure.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I don't think so. The original post is not about Kim being overscrored. It's about hate videos posted by both sides but especially those posted by mainstream Japanese media.

actually, it was about Kim being overscored.. the OP changed the title