Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Please do not insult or mischaracterize other posters. The insulting post, and posts that quoted it, have been removed.

There are posts in this thread insulting skaters, including two have have only just turned 18. I don't understand why it's not okay to insult other posters but it's fine to post comments that essentially question skaters' masculinity based on their looks and styling.

Quote Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
    We live in a much more tolerant world when it comes to gender and identity yet some want to continue to force a very specific concept of masculinity on male skaters regardless of whatever their natural identity happens to be. It's unnecessary and frustrating.
    I agree with this to infinity or so.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    There are posts in this thread insulting skaters, including two have have only just turned 18. I don't understand why it's not okay to insult other posters but it's fine to post comments that essentially question skaters' masculinity based on their looks and styling.
    This exactly.
    I just really, really wish skaters aren't reading these boards. There are quite a few posts here that would be horrible to see..
    Last edited by Mathman; 12-24-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: testing edit feature. Carry on. :)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't understand why saying the truth is called "insulting skaters"? So they are allowed to do whatever, but people who watch them are not allowed to simply point them out.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.

No, BB, these are not truths, they are opinions - ones based on very specific concepts of gender roles and presented (by some people in this thread) in a deliberately insulting manner. When Jason Brown was referred to as a "ladies skater", it was not meant as a compliment to his grace, and when Yuzuru Hanyu's costumes and supposed makeup were mentioned, it was not to congratulate him on his fashion sense. Not to mention, this perpetuates the idea that all men (and by extension, male skaters) must fit a certain mold.

While criticizing skating and programs is fine, I don't believe GS encourages posters to insult skaters in the way we've seen in this thread; and indeed, I see it is a bit shorter than it was this morning.

skating philosopher
    Speaking of Jason Brown (and in the interest of getting back on topic).

http://www.icetalentinc.com/2012/12/...changes-ahead/

key tidbits:

“The best thing that could happen would be going to junior worlds with two clean programs; two triple axels in the long and a triple axel in the short. That would be the best way to end the season,” says Brown.
    And a big piece of news:

Yet big changes are in store for this Highland Park High School senior. He is following Ade when she moves to Colorado in March.

“The nice thing about that environment is that Jason can have access to the OTC and he can be in high altitude. For me there’s a good support staff so if I travel with Jason or other athletes there are other people there that can cover lessons,” explains Ade.

They will split their training time between the World Arena in Colorado Springs and Colorado College.

A near cross country move isn’t the only change Brown will encounter. He will begin college in the fall.

“I’m really excited that we decided to continue school and keep the routine,” says Brown
    And the same site has a fun Q&A with Brown's coach, Kori Ade: http://www.icetalentinc.com/2012/12/...ng-philosophy/

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Um, I'm not following this entire discussion, but:

1) The < on Dai's 4T in question was definitely a harsh call. While it was a bit short on rotation, it looked within the 1/4 allowance. And the height on it was marvelous.

2) Yuzu wearing "heavy makeup", seriously? Being mistaken for a girl, what? I'd love to be able to find out what makeup he wears that lasts through his sweat after an intense performance (as another poster said.) And if ever a girl looked like him, I would rather say that she looks a bit boyish, not the other way around...

Custom Title
    If Chan was , as he himself said, intimidated at the Japan Open, what must he be feeling now if he looked at this competition?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8