Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN

seele

Rinkside
That's not what UR is. It doesn't matter whose quad is more rotated, what matters in UR is that the jump is missing no more than 1/4 rotation.

itoja said the only obvious UR jump is Chan's first quad. So I said like this.

If you want to see the obvious UR jump itoja, Check out Daisuke's 3Lz+2T+2Lo.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Chan isnt a strong enough jumper to do something like a quad flip with any degree of regularity. He has always struggled with jump consistency with his current jumps, something like a triple axel is an extremely hard jump for him, so trying to add a quad flip to his programs would be very unwise and would likely lead to a further setback in his confidence after likely even more mistake/fall ridden performances. Not that I am a Chan supporter so that wouldnt bother me at all. Aided by his every grossly inflated PCS and GOE scores, although thankfully the judges scores from him have this season dropped from criminal and killing the sports last ounce of credability to merely grossly inflated, Chan still has a great shot of winning if he were to skate his current programs clean, especialy as Takahashi and Hanyu rarely go clean themselves, and is even in the fight to win not going totally clean, so he is best to try and master what he has now. He is in the final 15 months of his career, and his final legacy will be determined in those 15 months, he isnt realistically going to master any new technical things at this point nor is it worth the risk.

Hmmm.... Firstly, I'd point out that harder jumps come easier to some than to others despite the scale. I'd argue Patrick has a harder time doing a triple loop than a triple flip, and we all know his troubles with triple axel vs the quad.

Secondly, I think it's worth mentioning that his success rate on the quad absolutely ridiculous. He went from falling three times (including on the quad) to landing three over two programs. Twice (Nationals, Worlds - 2011). I think had he seriously put his mind to it, he would've been able to get a quad flip (not the salchow, interestingly).

I think Joubert probably wants to skate at the Olympics in a way he can be proud of. It's not necessarily about the specific placement.

That said, there is the team event. And France has a great dance team, two good men who could split SP/LP duties, a pair that is on the rise and a lady who also appears to be moving up. I don't think they are favorites for a medal, but they are certainly not long shots, either.

Hmmm... I'd argue that realistically, only four teams have a shot a medal: France, Russia, USA, and Canada.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That might be what Joubert is staying in, Plushenko is coming back for, and Evan is trying in vein to come back for. A team medal. None of those skaters have any chance at an individual medal, other than maybe a tiny one at a bronze for Plushenko, but all have a good shot to win a team medal if they can just make their countries Olympic teams somehow, which all but Evan have a good shot of doing.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Plu is definitely not just coming back for the the team medal, hell no. He wants to be on that podium alone too ;)
Joubert would be staying in regardless for himself but I do agree on Evan. Good call on that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plu is definitely not just coming back for the the team medal, hell no. He wants to be on that podium alone too ;)
Joubert would be staying in regardless for himself but I do agree on Evan. Good call on that.

Plushenko can want what he wants, but he will have to be satisfied with a team medal since that is all he is getting unless it is a splatfest. If Takahashi, Hanyu, or Chan have 3 mistakes or less over the 2 programs, there is no way he is beating any of them.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
If you compare the LPs of Patrick and Takahashi and if you’re not biased, then you’ll see Patrick was not grossly inflated in GOE but Takahashi was. As for under-rotated jumps, besides the jumps you mentioned, Takahashi also under-rotated his second 4t.
You don't know what UR is?
You both obviously don't. If you want to be taken seriously, bring your evidence. I too said that one dance lift shouldn't count as legal and posted a photo why I think that the tech panel got it wrong. Just keep saying things won't make them true and won't bring your statement any accountability. :p
Plushenko can want what he wants, but he will have to be satisfied with a team medal since that is all he is getting unless it is a splatfest. If Takahashi, Hanyu, or Chan have 3 mistakes or less over the 2 programs, there is no way he is beating any of them.
You wish, dear. :laugh: Well, not so much time left to wait afterall. :popcorn:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Not really objecting if these 3 skate as good and maybe Fernandez and Kozuka too but also if anyone would have skated to their potential in 2010, any of Kozuka, Lambiel and Abott should have had an Olympic medal now too but reality says otherwise, and in reality still after last Words and the end of this GP season, Plushenko has the 4th total personal best from Euros 2012 and that with an sp of 84 with no quad or quad combo in Lp. At these Euros I expect that the men with two different quads Fernandez, Brezina and Amodio could surpass him, but thats in the papers.

seele

Rinkside
You both obviously don't. If you want to be taken seriously, bring your evidence. I too said that one dance lift shouldn't count as legal and posted a photo why I think that the tech panel got it wrong. Just keep saying things won't make them true and won't bring your statement any accountability. :p
You wish, dear. :laugh: Well, not so much time left to wait afterall. :popcorn:

Hm..To be honest I don't want to talk with you.Usually I even try not to read your post.
But at least I will try it with my broken English about Chan's first quad. I'll explain it my way.
Not with 90 right,4/1,
Chan's first quad - If you see the blade of Chan (at the point of take-off and landing)
It's nearly in line not like Daisuke's combo jump. There is nothing wrong in Chan's rotation.
just see that jumps on youtube. It's the much better way.
You can see the difference.Chan's jump, Daisuke's combo That's all I can say. :p

Last edited:

cleoc

Match Penalty
I found Takasha PCS werid. How he could have the same marks for transitions and SS with Chan?
And Dai had mistkes in every jump, but judges didnt want to see this. Why?
Hope Fernandez will win ECh this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not really objecting if these 3 skate as good and maybe Fernandez and Kozuka too but also if anyone would have skated to their potential in 2010, any of Kozuka, Lambiel and Abott should have had an Olympic medal now too but reality says otherwise, and in reality still after last Words and the end of this GP season, Plushenko has the 4th total personal best from Euros 2012 and that with an sp of 84 with no quad or quad combo in Lp. At these Euros I expect that the men with two different quads Fernandez, Brezina and Amodio could surpass him, but thats in the papers.

Okay if you are going to put Abbott into the mix then you should have added Chan and maybe even Weir.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I mentioned Abott because his win at Nationals had made a big impact, I remember Eurosport guys commented on that too, and he had fantastic programs that season.

seele

Rinkside
There is someone who trust the judges perfectly. Good for them.

Another obvious UR jump.
Mao's flip jump in the SP at GPF.
Of course They don't give a <
Such a generous judge.

If you see this jump You can get it.
No need evidence. Just need eyes.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mod note: please remember to speak of the topic/reply to what's said in a post. Don't bicker and insult each other. We want to keep GS a friendly place for ALL opinions on SKATING.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Okay if you are going to put Abbott into the mix then you should have added Chan and maybe even Weir.

Weir was never in the mix, not since 2008 anyway. As far as the last Olympics now there is nothing to speculate upon. He did skate his absolute best, the event was a mess, and he still was nowhere near winning a medal, either in terms of placement (6th) or points. Weir was clearly the #3 American going in Vancouver, even though he ended up the #2 U.S finisher due to Abbott's meltdown. Evan or Jeremy were clearly the American men going for medals and who the Europeans and Japanese had reason to fear, not Johnny.

As for Chan he had an injury mar mediocre season in 09/2010 and was never likely to be a big factor in Vancouver either, although he still was more of a threat than say Kozuka so seniorita should have replaced Kozuka with Chan in his/her comments. Kozuka like Weir was never a real contender in Vancouver, even Oda was more a potential contender than those two (which still wasnt much). The main contenders were always Plushenko, Lysacek, Takahashi, Lambiel, Abbott because of his Nationals performance though a total meltdown would surprise nobody, and perhaps Joubert, Chan and Oda.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
just see that jumps on youtube. It's the much better way.
You can see the difference.Chan's jump, Daisuke's combo That's all I can say. :p
Another obvious UR jump.
Mao's flip jump in the SP at GPF.
Of course They don't give a <
Such a generous judge.

If you see this jump You can get it.
No need evidence. Just need eyes.
Do you know what UR means? It means 1/4 or 90, i.e. if the landing is within |_, then things are fine. Okay, let's watch youtube. Check Dai's landing at 7:19 (Asahi) or 7:29 (CBC). Easy to see. Mao's flip is fine too. :p
I found Takasha PCS werid. How he could have the same marks for transitions and SS with Chan?
What are you talking about and who is "Takasha"? No one got the same score for TR and SS with Chan. Dai got higher score for Performance, and they got the same score for Choreo. For all the rest Chan got higher score than anyone else, including for Interpretation (lol).

lakeside

On the Ice
It seems that some people don’t know how to identify under-rotated jumps, or they know but don’t want to admit it when their favorites under-rotate jumps. As requested by some posters in this and other threads, I’m going to start a thread on this and will show you what are UR jumps, using Takahashi’s many UR jumps at GPF as examples.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It seems that some people don’t know how to identify under-rotated jumps, or they know but don’t want to admit it when their favorites under-rotate jumps. As requested by some posters in this and other threads, I’m going to start a thread on this and will show you what are UR jumps, using Takahashi’s many UR jumps at GPF as examples.

Can't wait. Maybe the judges will study the thread so that they will be better informed next time Dai skates. :biggrin:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
That sounds like a productive exercise. I am sure it will foster nothing but fruitful, polite discussions. :disapp: :rolleye:

Here's some advice, which I am sure you will ignore: if you want to demonstrate what URd jumps look like, find examples of such jumps performed by skaters who are no longer active in competitive skating. There's no shortage of those and it'll make you seem less trollish.

A pity that IP's interesting thread has been derailed by this silly bickering about URs and overscoring.

lakeside

On the Ice
That sounds like a productive exercise. I am sure it will foster nothing but fruitful, polite discussions. :disapp: :rolleye:

Here's some advice, which I am sure you will ignore: if you want to demonstrate what URd jumps look like, find examples of such jumps performed by skaters who are no longer active in competitive skating. There's no shortage of those and it'll make you seem less trollish.

A pity that IP's interesting thread has been derailed by this silly bickering about URs and overscoring.
You saw that other posters asked us to show evidence of Takahashi’s UR jumps. I think they know what are UR jumps, but if we show skaters who are no longer active, then those posters who asked us for evidence will keep saying we haven’t provided them evidence because I’m not showing evidence of Takahashi’s UR.

Plus, just like someone showed picture of why a lift is illegal, when active skaters UR their jumps but are not called, or when active skaters have no steps preceding their solo jumps in the SP, I believe figure skating fans are obliged to point this out.

If you don’t like to see UR discussion in this nice thread, then I started an UR thread, so hopefully we can remove the UR discussion from this nice thread.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
How could he get three -2 GOEs on that hard fall and only -0.29 on that 3A? If you compare the LPs of Patrick and Takahashi and if you’re not biased, then you’ll see Patrick was not grossly inflated in GOE but Takahashi was. As for under-rotated jumps, besides the jumps you mentioned, Takahashi also under-rotated his second 4t. It should’ve been 4t<3t<, and his 3a2t should’ve been 3a<2t<. Takahashi was overscored more than 6 points in TES. If scoring was fair, he should not have won GPF.

The only thing Takahashi possibly underrotated was the 3t on the end of the Quad. That one was slightly more than 1/4 short. Nothing else was <. It's very clear in the slow-mo video you posted for the 4t that the jump was complete but you simply don't know how to judge these things. The "takeoff" and "landing" shots you posted for the 3t make this extremely clear - you actually have no idea about where a jump really takes off and where it lands, because both pictures were wrong (the first was too early and the second was too late). Moving along, let us look at the clip you provided for the 4t he landed:

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/39097_Takahashi4T3T_1.gif

His skate leaves the ice a few degrees past the point where it would be facing the back board. This means his skate needs to land a few degrees past the point where it would be perpendicular to the camera. He definitely did that; he skate lands about 45 degrees past the point where it would be perpendicular to the camera.