Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN

Riemann

Rinkside
Regardless of Yuzuru wears on his face or otherwise, it doesn't change that if he keeps progressing this season and skates his FS to its fullest potential (2 quads and 7 triples and all the transitions in between) and keeps skating the SP the way he did for 3 of his 4 competitions this year , he has the potential to have a TES of nearly 100 points that will make him a key contender at Worlds even if other skaters get higher PCS.

Indeed. His TES potential is just incredible. Despite being a non-international event, I think what happened at the Japanese Championships is a good example of what could happen at Worlds. Hanyu lost to Takahashi in both segments in terms of PCS (Takahashi even getting an insane 96 for PCS in the free), but still won overall as a result of his amazing TES. The other guys will have to do very well technically this year.

Elsa G

Rinkside
Actually,in an interview this summer,he was asked about does he wear make during his performance.He answered NO.
Come on,he sweat like a pig after his free skate and he wipe his face so many times at K&C,his make up doesn't wash up?
Use your common sense.

merleice

Rinkside
Yuzuru does NOT wear makeup. He just has very good skin, as does Takahashi, Chan, Oda and Kozuka. It is quite common for Asian men to have seemingly poreless complexions, a number of my male colleagues have enviably good complexions too and they most definitely do not wear makeup.

Back to Jason Brown, I think he has potential as everything else about his skating besides his jumps are of good quality. He successfully landed a 3A in competition this season, something he has struggled with for some time. Give him time and he may be able to improve further on the technical side. I agree totally with other posters on there being no need to bring in all the gender nonsense when we are discussing these skaters, it is simply distasteful but sadly such comments are all too common and are not just limited to discussions of male skaters.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I have seen Jason Brown skating and he doesn't look girly to me. I saw creativity, good flexibility and attention to details but lack of big jumps, like Triple Axel or Quads. If the latter is what make you think he is a "ladies skater", then that's your opinion but I don't share it. On the other hand, the heavy make up, tight shirts, gloves that Hanyu wears - and his attempt to mimic Johnny Weir - really, the only thing missing is the flower crown. I can see some people will easily mistook him for a girl if shown to causal fans who don't follow the sport on an everyday basis.
Classy! :sarcasm:

Heavy make up? I must have missed that...
Hanyu doesn't wear make up. Neither does Dai or Kozuka. I saw them close more than once, including right after shows still in cosumtes. None of them wears make-up. Maybe some people have bad TVs or just bad mannered. :p

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
To me, Chan is very much still the man to beat seeing how his PCS is still the highest based on less than stellar performances.

I don't think so. I think if Chan loses 2013 Worlds, it will be a blessing in disguise. Probably that could truly wake him up. So next season, he'd regroup his team and go back to Lori Nichol for choreograph, and also find a skating coach as a primary coach. The chance of going back to Krall seems very slim if it's not impossible. I'm one of the people who think that Nichol-Chan is the best possible combination for him.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do not insult or mischaracterize other posters. The insulting post, and posts that quoted it, have been removed.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
There are posts in this thread insulting skaters, including two have have only just turned 18. I don't understand why it's not okay to insult other posters but it's fine to post comments that essentially question skaters' masculinity based on their looks and styling.

We live in a much more tolerant world when it comes to gender and identity yet some want to continue to force a very specific concept of masculinity on male skaters regardless of whatever their natural identity happens to be. It's unnecessary and frustrating.
:bow: I agree with this to infinity or so.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Buttercup said:
There are posts in this thread insulting skaters, including two have have only just turned 18. I don't understand why it's not okay to insult other posters but it's fine to post comments that essentially question skaters' masculinity based on their looks and styling.

This exactly.
I just really, really wish skaters aren't reading these boards. There are quite a few posts here that would be horrible to see..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I don't understand why saying the truth is called "insulting skaters"? So they are allowed to do whatever, but people who watch them are not allowed to simply point them out.:laugh:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No, BB, these are not truths, they are opinions - ones based on very specific concepts of gender roles and presented (by some people in this thread) in a deliberately insulting manner. When Jason Brown was referred to as a "ladies skater", it was not meant as a compliment to his grace, and when Yuzuru Hanyu's costumes and supposed makeup were mentioned, it was not to congratulate him on his fashion sense. Not to mention, this perpetuates the idea that all men (and by extension, male skaters) must fit a certain mold.

While criticizing skating and programs is fine, I don't believe GS encourages posters to insult skaters in the way we've seen in this thread; and indeed, I see it is a bit shorter than it was this morning.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of Jason Brown (and in the interest of getting back on topic).

http://www.icetalentinc.com/2012/12...n-opens-up-about-his-goals-and-changes-ahead/

key tidbits:

“The best thing that could happen would be going to junior worlds with two clean programs; two triple axels in the long and a triple axel in the short. That would be the best way to end the season,” says Brown.

And a big piece of news:

Yet big changes are in store for this Highland Park High School senior. He is following Ade when she moves to Colorado in March.

“The nice thing about that environment is that Jason can have access to the OTC and he can be in high altitude. For me there’s a good support staff so if I travel with Jason or other athletes there are other people there that can cover lessons,” explains Ade.

They will split their training time between the World Arena in Colorado Springs and Colorado College.

A near cross country move isn’t the only change Brown will encounter. He will begin college in the fall.

“I’m really excited that we decided to continue school and keep the routine,” says Brown

And the same site has a fun Q&A with Brown's coach, Kori Ade: http://www.icetalentinc.com/2012/12...oach-kori-ade-shares-her-coaching-philosophy/

prettykeys

Medalist
Um, I'm not following this entire discussion, but:

1) The < on Dai's 4T in question was definitely a harsh call. While it was a bit short on rotation, it looked within the 1/4 allowance. And the height on it was marvelous.

2) Yuzu wearing "heavy makeup", seriously? Being mistaken for a girl, what? I'd love to be able to find out what makeup he wears that lasts through his sweat after an intense performance (as another poster said.) And if ever a girl looked like him, I would rather say that she looks a bit boyish, not the other way around...

Icey

Record Breaker
If Chan was , as he himself said, intimidated at the Japan Open, what must he be feeling now if he looked at this competition?