Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Half time show: Thoughts from the season so far - MEN

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Kozuka's skate is quiet and his artistry no forced. I think he is quite original and uses his whole posture to express the music rather than one arm here and one head there. As for skating skills, the two times I ve seen him live I didnt see he had to envy anything from the top top skaters. You didnt hear anything while he was practising, one of the most silent gliding. His choises in music are also outside the usual, his Lp last year was divine even if not skated well.
    When I saw Kozuka live I think he didn’t have enough expressions to be considered artistic. During practice and at gala he had good skating skills, with a lot of ease, flow, and speed. However, when he started his competition programs everything just deteriorated. He looked so tense, maybe he was too nervous for the hard jumps that he was a lot slower than during practice and exhibition, and the flow and the ease all vanished. He skated exactly with “one arm here and one head there,” like when he had to concentrate on jumps he didn’t know where to put his arms and head and could not project to the audience (and the judges). And I did hear sound when he glided.

I agree that his LP last year was beautifully choreographed and could provide him a chance to be artistic. Shame that he never skated consistently to pull it off. Then his programs this year are not as good, and I can see why the judges are not so into his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Michida is not worlds worthy. Really is not up to the new jump standard. No quad in sp and plans one but can barely do it in a fs. His skates could win some gps but no worlds is no loss and really wouldn't reflect Japan well.
    Machida is not as good as his Japanese teammates, but he’s worlds worthy in the sense that he’s better than some skaters from Spain, Kazakhstan, Belgium, and Italy. For instance, Belgium has two spots but doesn’t have the second man because van der Perren just retired. I think a lot of fs fans would like to see Machida, Mura, and Oda get second spots from Belgium, Italy, and Kazakhstan if they don’t make the worlds team in Japan.

Banned
    My thoughts:

-Takahashi and Hanyu are a lock for the Japanese team for Worlds. Kozuka is not a lock and can lose his spot to Machida if he doesnt skate well at Nationals. Oda has no chance.

-If everyone skates cleanly at U.S Nationals Abbott will win no question. The U.S judges love him and he often skates great at Nationals. If he falters Miner will win. Abbott and Miner will be the U.S World team.

-The World title will go to one of Takahashi, Hanyu, or Chan, in that order of likelihood right now. Fernandez will win the bronze at Worlds I am predicting, bumping one of the aforementioned three off.

-Plushenko will win gold or silver at Europeans and not skate at Worlds again.

-Joubert will retire after a really low finish at Worlds.

Custom Title
    I think one of the Japanese men will win World's with Fernandez getting a medal. I will go with Takahashi, Hanyu and Fernandez. Chan will should have put in the Quad flip by now and he really needs to get a technical coach and push himself in the communication with audience dept. He needs to up his spins ; he is being passed by all the Japanese men and Fernandez. Too bad about Plushy;s injury and lack of desire to do world's. One sense that Joubert's time has come and gone but he still can do a decent program - he is like a weed - you can't get rid of him - yet but his time is nearing. All it takes is some interesting chemistry and two americans 2 canadians, an italian, another French, of courst 3 japanese men, Fernandez, 2 czech boys, a Chinese skater and Denis ten and Joubert is struggling for top 15.

Banned
    Chan isnt a strong enough jumper to do something like a quad flip with any degree of regularity. He has always struggled with jump consistency with his current jumps, something like a triple axel is an extremely hard jump for him, so trying to add a quad flip to his programs would be very unwise and would likely lead to a further setback in his confidence after likely even more mistake/fall ridden performances. Not that I am a Chan supporter so that wouldnt bother me at all. Aided by his every grossly inflated PCS and GOE scores, although thankfully the judges scores from him have this season dropped from criminal and killing the sports last ounce of credability to merely grossly inflated, Chan still has a great shot of winning if he were to skate his current programs clean, especialy as Takahashi and Hanyu rarely go clean themselves, and is even in the fight to win not going totally clean, so he is best to try and master what he has now. He is in the final 15 months of his career, and his final legacy will be determined in those 15 months, he isnt realistically going to master any new technical things at this point nor is it worth the risk.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 12-13-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Custom Title
    It may be a bit OT but good for all of us for fun/a change after such nerve-wracking GPF and its post-comp comments/praises/arguments/complaints, I thought.

J-Sports website is currently taking a voting booth among the top male skaters:
    https://www.facebook.com/jsports1234...16887638403957

The vertical indicates the world rankings, while the horizontal their ages. Though all written in Japanese, the illustration captures each boy's features quite well, I think. How many of them can you name out of 12 boys?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Aided by his every grossly inflated PCS and GOE scores,

As for generous GOE

The judges are too generous on Daisuke's jump..especially on UR jumps.

For examples,At GPF His first quad looked UR but he didn't get <.
    His 3Lz+2T+2Lo should have gotten< (3Lz+2T+2Lo<) but He get GOE 0.70.

But you do not seem to care about these.
    Last edited by seele; 12-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    How many of them can you name out of 12 boys?
    Is that Plushenko, the one with a Rudolph nose in the leftmost bottom corner?
    Interesting to know that at this moment Dai is leading the poll while Yuzuru and Kozuka are in a virtaul tie. Chan is way in the back seat. Can I equate that to his popularity in Japan?
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 12-13-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Is that Plushenko, the one with a Rudolph nose in the leftmost bottom corner?
    Interesting to know that at this moment Dai is leading the poll while Yuzuru and Kozuka are in a virtaul tie. Chan is way in the back seat. Can I equate that to his popularity in Japan?
    Even Gachi has collected more points, not saying about Abbot and Javi. Plu is curently 4th after the cash cow Dai in huge lead and Hanyu/Kozuka having the same number of points. Not a surprise about Plu either considering his popularity in Japan, even if he doesn't compete much internationally.

Custom Title
    the one with a Rudolph nose in the leftmost bottom corner?
    Sorry, I meant rightmost bottom corner. Stupid me, who couldn't even tell the left from the right. So I went to see a doctor. He said, "You are mentally challenged." I said, "I need a second opinion." And he responded, "You are ugly, too."

Sorry, I meant rightmost bottom corner. Stupid me, who couldn't even tell the left from the right. So I went to see a doctor. He said, "You are mentally challenged." I said, "I need a second opinion." And he responded, "You are ugly, too."
    Ummm?? What a interesting post! I can't make heads or tails out of it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Ummm?? What a interesting post! I can't make heads or tails out of it.
    I was trying to write a joke. Apparently I am neither a good joker nor a good writer.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    -Joubert will retire after a really low finish at Worlds.
    Why would he?

Clarification: I mean, why would he retire? I don't actually believe he'll end up so low (hope springs eternal and what-not - besides, I wasn't reading this forum last year, but I'll wager not many here thought he'd end up 4th... ), but supposing he does, why would that make him want to retire? The Olympics is next year, and he wants to attend - and it's not like there are a whole lot of French guys lining up to take his place - there's Florent and... ?

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Why would he?

Clarification: I mean, why would he retire? I don't actually believe he'll end up so low (hope springs eternal and what-not - besides, I wasn't reading this forum last year, but I'll wager not many here thought he'd end up 4th... ), but supposing he does, why would that make him want to retire? The Olympics is next year, and he wants to attend - and it's not like there are a whole lot of French guys lining up to take his place - there's Florent and... ?
    I agree. He always claims he can't "do it" at the Olympics so with 1 year left, he's not gonna give up that chance to try to do it again. He'll try as long as he can. He needs to give Olympics one last chance with all he's got to redeem himself for himself. And I hope he'll be able to make himself proud when Sochi rolls around.
    Last edited by starryxskies; 12-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Too bad there are only three medals and you have three Japanese men who could sweep the podium - though which ones is an issue. We mustn't forget Plushy, the Americans, the Czech boys, Fernandez and Chan. Even his own compatriot Amodio could beat him realistically. I can't blame the guy for trying but he has had his chance - mind you life isn't fair so who knows some people keep trying until they get that elusive medal - and many don;t make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Too bad there are only three medals and you have three Japanese men who could sweep the podium - though which ones is an issue. We mustn't forget Plushy, the Americans, the Czech boys, Fernandez and Chan. Even his own compatriot Amodio could beat him realistically. I can't blame the guy for trying but he has had his chance - mind you life isn't fair so who knows some people keep trying until they get that elusive medal - and many don;t make it.
    Oh I don't doubt his chance has long gone. I meant making himself proud in the sense that he'll be happy with his performance in Sochi relative to Vancouver at least. I think realistically he knows about his chances pretty well.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast