Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Europeans-hopes dreams and reality

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene
    I have not seen her live. Seeing her on tv, she seemed really quick to me and not just her arms. Have you seen her live because that might explain our different perceptions? I know there are differences in tv vs. live but her ss and speed look absolutely good to me.
    No, sadly I didn't either. I'm usually watching fancam videos to get a better idea of the speed a skater has - I'm not sure if it was last years nationals, or the YOG, but I saw some videos of her filmed from one position, capturing the whole ring. The difference between her and Adelina was very obvious I think...
    And when I say her SS are average I don't want to say they're bad, but really just that, average. Better than some of the ladies, but not as good as others. In response to what FSGMT said, I just think working on her SS and speed would be the easiest way to boost her PCS. She already did if you compare her to last year, and I'm sure she'll continue to improve. But for now I think she'll be behind Caro & Co. in PCS and I can see why (I'm a huge Adelina fan, so I can't really agree that Liza is a better performer in gerenal either. I think they're pretty much equal in that regard ).

I hope Konstantin Menshov is there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I hope Konstantin Menshov is there.

Custom Title
    I would love menshov there too, but he is first alternate.

The team are Plushy, Voronov and Kovtun. Kovtun was favoured ahead of Menshov.

menshov though could make the world team, but he will probably have to do a Russian test skate before hand. I hope he gets the nod for worlds.

On the Ice
    I'll have many opportunities to watch live on Eurosport and SVT. I'd love to see Javi on the podium. What I really like to see is a lady to score over 180 points from Europe! The Russian babies are the only hopes. Keep an eye on Vanessa Marchei from Italy. I saw her yesterday live from an exhibition gala in Oberstdorf, Germany. She's become a lean, mean skating machine. Her first performance in a stunning gold dress was fantastic! And energy to perform a flawless triple Lutz! Don't expect much from Sarah Hecken from Germany. For dance, France and Italy till tops!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by senatormls View Post
    I'll have many opportunities to watch live on Eurosport and SVT. I'd love to see Javi on the podium. What I really like to see is a lady to score over 180 points from Europe! The Russian babies are the only hopes. Keep an eye on Vanessa Marchei from Italy. I saw her yesterday live from an exhibition gala in Oberstdorf, Germany. She's become a lean, mean skating machine. Her first performance in a stunning gold dress was fantastic! And energy to perform a flawless triple Lutz! Don't expect much from Sarah Hecken from Germany. For dance, France and Italy till tops!
    Valentina Marchei has really improved this year.
    Carolina Kostner has skated over 180 points more than onces.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Are you kidding? Plu won Europeans 7 times, and the current rivals are not even near: Joubert with 3 titiles, others are even less.
    Ulrich Salchow won the title 9 times. Karl Schafer 8 times. Irina Slutskya 7 times.
    Last edited by Icey; 12-31-2012 at 11:31 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Salchow and Schafer :current rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Salchow and Schafer :current rivals?
    The conversation started when I asked what the record was.

Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    I would love menshov there too, but he is first alternate.

The team are Plushy, Voronov and Kovtun. Kovtun was favoured ahead of Menshov.

menshov though could make the world team, but he will probably have to do a Russian test skate before hand. I hope he gets the nod for worlds.
    I thought that decision might be overturned (Menshov as first alternate)?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    First of all I wanna see high level of competition in each discipline.
    My heart is with Kiira this year, too. But I also wanna see Carolina is doing well (tight competition with Kiira) and Leonova finally reaches a medal at Euros. Other than these, I wish the experienced girls show their best (Gedevanishvili, Helgesson, Glebova and McCorkell) and the Russian babies (probably Tuk and Sot but maybe Koro) don't disappoint us.
    I agree 100%! These European athletes must compete at Worlds afterwards.

I hope that a Helgesson sister(or for that matter both ) medals. And/or that they earn three spots for Sweden at next Euro's. I so wish another hard working lady from Sweden to experience a senior international competition

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    This is the problem: Sotnikova, Caro and Kiira have "extraordinary" ss, Liza has "normal" ss: "ordinary" skating is not enough if you want to become European champion! But I agree that she sould receive higher marks for PE and IN, especially in the SP!
    Maybe Kiira has "extraordinary" ss, but he can't jump, and always overscored like Lepistö or Carolina. The girls forgot to jump under the COP. Lepistö's jumps also were weak, and I like far better Carolina when she was younger and presented hard jumps. In Europe the last champions where shamefully weak jumper. I hope Liza will show, what is the FS as a sport.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 01-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Maybe Kiira has "extraordinary" ss, but he can't jump, and always overscored like Lepistö or Carolina. The girls forgot to jump under the COP. Lepistö's jumps also were weak, and I like far better Carolina when she was younger and presented hard jumps. In Europe the last champions where shamefully weak jumper. I hope Liza will show, what is the FS as a sport.
    Yes, Caro and Kiira last year were weak jumpers (in 2012 in the FS Caro landed "just" 5 triples and no lutz to win the Gold, Kiira only one clean triple, a salchow, to win the Silver), but this year they're both planning 7 triples including the lutz in the FS and a 3-3 in the SP (even if an easy one), so I wouldn't say that they "can't jump"...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Skating is NOT just about jumps, there is a technical and ARTISTIC side, You do not have to have the full repertoire of technique in order to succeed under the COP if your PCS are very good, Lepisto, Korpi and Kostner are very good in this area and should be REWARDED as such.

I do not like seeing someone go from one jump to the next without choreographic content, good use of the music and artistry.
    Last edited by russell30; 01-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast