Wagner says she has "Hip Pointer" | Golden Skate

Wagner says she has "Hip Pointer"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From the Golden Skate article for the GPF Ladies LP
http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/12/asada-wins-third-grand-prix-title-in-sochi/

Wagner, who stood in second after short program, opened her routine for Samson and Delilah by Camille Saint-Saens by nailing two solid jump combinations, but then the student of John Nicks crashed hard on an underrotated triple Salchow attempt, landing on her hip in a rather painful looking manner.

“I do not think that it is anything long-term,” she later told the press regarding the injury. “I think for the next couple of days I will be pretty sore. We’re going to have to see how it (the injury) progresses over the weekend. The doctor said it’s a “hip pointer”. I don’t know what that is, but I can tell you it really hurts. We might be looking at getting X-rays next week.”

An article on hip pointers:
http://kidshealth.org/teen/safety/sports_safety/hip_pointer.html

Rats! I read up about that injury on Sunday, and it's pretty intense. I don't know what that means for Ashley at nationals, but she must be in considerable discomfort right now. Talk about bad luck!

KKonas

Medalist
Ashley's ride home must have been uncomfortable. I broke my tailbone when I fell on the ice in France. Dick Button asked me how it happened and I replied that it was on my faulty triple axel :). The ride home was very uncomfortable even though I was on pain meds thanks to USFSA doctor.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope she's better for Nationals. It would be a shame to see her season end that way, but at least it's not NEXT season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
agreed, blue. But this is such a hard blow (no pun intended) I hope she can recover both physically and mentally.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks, Doris. Sounds like there is a rather large range of severity here with hip pointers...I just hope this is one of the mild variety. I will feel better when she tweets she is back on the ice and doing well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope she's better for Nationals. It would be a shame to see her season end that way, but at least it's not NEXT season.

If not, I certainly think she has earned a bye to Worlds if needed. There's no need for her to rush her comeback to be ready for Nationals IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It depends on how the national team is chosen. EAch nation is different. Russia goes on whatever the association thinks is best based on the whole year I think; in Canada it really i s the national championships mainly - I think years ago Josee Chouinard was a skater who returned and was Canada's best hope but she skated poorly at nationals though no one in Canada was close to her. She lost her world spot and with it the end of Canada's hope for a medal. I think she won bronze at the Grand Prix final that year too.

seabm7

Final Flight
If I remember correctly, the US champion has the right to go to the Worlds. There are two tickets for US this year. About the second ticket, USFS has the right to apply other methods to select the person, but they have rarely exercised it except a couple of times. Todd Eldredge for 1991-92 Worlds/Olympics and Kwan for 2006 olympics.

Last edited:

avalyn

Rinkside
This is a shame to hear that instead of a standard bruise/battering, it seems like a pretty painful injury judging by what some posters were saying about hip pointers when it was first considered a possibility. Now that it's official, I hope she'll take the necessary rest time to let it heal. And I hope it won't affect her likeliness to go to Worlds and her performance there. I think she has earned the right for a bye to Worlds as well, but if it's only happened a few times...? Well, I think she'll try to go to Nationals in any case, and hopefully everything's fine by then.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In the event she somehow misses Nationals the USFSA will send the Nationals winner and Wagner to Worlds, 110% guaranteed, unless she is so injured she cant even skate in March. Book it, I will never post on this forum again if this is wrong (in the event she does WD with Nationals which probably wont happen), that is now certain I am.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I'm sure she'll get a bye in case she can't compete in January. She's been very good this season, not to mention consistent. That counts for something. I don't think it's possible to send Mirai and Christina if the US wants 3 spots.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, the US champion has the right to go to the Worlds. There are two tickets for US this year. About the second ticket, USFS has the right to apply other methods to select the person, but they have rarely exercised it except a couple of times. Todd Eldredge for 1991-92 Worlds/Olympics and Kwan for 2006 olympics.

Kerrigan in 1994 (Olympics)...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ashley twitted a pic of her knees a little while ago... they are bruised and swollen... she said the ice won this battle. :laugh:

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Ashley will be alright by nationals
and its still a long way so she can take a max 1 week off the ice rest

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular thread:

FWIW, as of Dec 10, both the Disson website and the local paper list Wagner among the cast.

The live show is this Saturday, Dec 15, in Jamestown, NY.

Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
On my way to Jamestown for Skating and Gymnastics! #betterlatethannever
4:07 PM - 14 Dec 12​

A good sign in terms of recovery from her injury, I hope.