Virtue and Moir "not enamored" with Yankee Polka | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir "not enamored" with Yankee Polka

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excerpt:

“I think for us, the idea of creating an entire dance around the Yankee Polka was a little bit daunting,” admitted Virtue. “When we found this music for the waltz element, we fell in love with the dance. I think that really helped us. And like Charlie said, we think of it as a challenge: to prepare it, to create a story from the beginning, and include part of the original dance.”

More...

Binthere

On the Ice
Not shocking. They werent fans of the CD in general as I recall.

Such civil understatements. I recall reading some postings which described Scott essentially cursing the choice when it was announced last season. It comes across in their dance that he does not enjoy it. A fake performance smile is a fake performance smile. I'll enjoy watching his/their feet instead during the Polka.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well their coach(es) have never been fans of the CDs anyway, so it's not surprising that the Canton teams all had "issues" with them/feel negatively about them. It's too bad as I think the CDs were the strongest part of the *competition*.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Such civil understatements. I recall reading some postings which described Scott essentially cursing the choice when it was announced last season. It comes across in their dance that he does not enjoy it. A fake performance smile is a fake performance smile. I'll enjoy watching his/their feet instead during the Polka.

The waltz part of their SD is really lovely.

The article says they have changed the story they are portraying several times, but it's a good thing there is no requirement that there be a story, since it is difficult to discern without Cliff Notes what a guy in what looks like a black practice outfit is doing with a lovely woman in an elaborate costume.

However, possibly, whatever they were doing was illicit, they were captured & tortured by being forced to skate a polka...really I don't see the story.

Macassar88

Medalist
It's weird IMO that they hated the CD because they were quite great at them and could have been up there with the greats in certain dances if they had continued having to perfect them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's weird IMO that they hated the CD because they were quite great at them and could have been up there with the greats in certain dances if they had continued having to perfect them.

I've never understood where they were coming from on the issue of CD's. I'm even more stymied at going public with their dislike of the Yankee Polka-hate it all you want, kids, but don't give judges room to pick at you, "You said you hated it and it shows".

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I've never understood where they were coming from on the issue of CD's. I'm even more stymied at going public with their dislike of the Yankee Polka-hate it all you want, kids, but don't give judges room to pick at you, "You said you hated it and it shows".
Exactly! And, since they're wondeful in performing it, why don't let the judges think that is easy for you? Now (if some of them read this quote) they could think, while they'll be watching them: "Let's see if they make some mistakes since they don't like it a lot" instead of "Let's see how wonderful they are"... :bang:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Strictly speaking, they are not as great at the Yankee Polka as they are at some other CDs, for example, the Rhumba, but it is not the steps that are the problem. The problem is entirely stems IMO from their distaste for the dance.

It's the character of the dance where they are not as good as they usually are. There is a requirement that the YP be danced light & bouncy, but still with attention to the edges. The edges are great, the light & bouncy could be better. Also there is a requirement for SDs that the pattern dance be seamlessly integrated into the program. In this case there are the required 38 sec of Yankee Polka inserted into a lovely waltz & not a second more.

KKonas

Medalist
At the same 4CC dance meeting I attended last season, one of the reasons Moir said of his dislike of the Yankee Polka was that he would have to tell his hockey buddies that he was skating a Yankee Polka (apparently this was a source of great embarassment for him.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their "storyline" about a damaged, reluctant girl being approached by a young man has her entering into the Polka with a grim face. This takes away from the character of the dance, which is supposed to be airy and lighthearted. I agree with Doris that it wasn't very smart (or PC) of them to openly admit they hate the YP, and when they present the dance in this grudging fashion, they leave themselves open to losing points from some of the judges.

bellafurr

On the Ice
I saw their Yankee Polka 3 or 4 years ago at 4 continents i believe and they did very well. Do tou really think the judges would take off points just because they didn"t like the dance?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At the same 4CC dance meeting I attended last season, one of the reasons Moir said of his dislike of the Yankee Polka was that he would have to tell his hockey buddies that he was skating a Yankee Polka (apparently this was a source of great embarassment for him.)

So I guess he is being sure his hockey buddies know that he is being forced, rather than choosing, to skate to the Yankee Polka?
It makes some sort of sense, I guess.

Off topic, KKonas, but when the Shibutanis were advised at Champs Camp that they were "overskating" their Mary Poppins SD, what exactly were they doing wrong?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw their Yankee Polka 3 or 4 years ago at 4 continents i believe and they did very well. Do tou really think the judges would take off points just because they didn"t like the dance?

One of the component requirements is expressing the "character" of the music. So yes, it is possible for a judge or judges to give them lower points in PE and/or IN because V/M's 'character' interpretation (non-enjoyment of the dance on Tessa's part) is in conflict with the character of the music.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I guess he is being sure his hockey buddies know that he is being forced, rather than choosing, to skate to the Yankee Polka?

Off topic, KKonas, but when the Shibutanis were advised at Champs Camp that they were "overskating" their Mary Poppins SD, what exactly were they doing wrong?

In the live chat that the Shibutanis held via the USOC Facebook page on Tuesday, the word that they used was "outskating" the Poppins music.
See Mrs. P's report in the fan thread for the Shibutanis; her post has the links to the archived chat video too.
The audio quality is poor, but before I read what Mrs. P wrote, I independently heard the word "outskating" as well -- as opposed to "overskating."
"Outskating" has a different connotation, I think -- implies to me that the music was simplistic compared to their movement on the ice.

[Sorry, I missed the comments from KKonas re Poppins and the Shibs -- in which thread were they?]

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist

Sorry, I was not at Champs Camp, and did not see this routine so I have no answer. Media is not invited to Champs Camp, and are actually discouraged (no access) except for icenetwork. Better to ask Lynn Rutherford.

cleoc

Match Penalty
I think V-M SD is pure beautie, but i think judges gave to them lowe component score because they didnt see a lot off polka in this SD.
I feel sad we didnt have CDs anymore and V-M didnt skate it.
And i feel sad after V0M will retier they will remove SD from competitions and we didnt have chance to see 3 OD from one of the best ice danc eteam ever :unsure:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree with you, cleoc, that it would have been far more enjoyable for all dance fans to see ODs for these last 3 seasons & next season, rather than these SDs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So does "outskating" mean the same as "overskating"?

Well after they mentioned the "outskating" comment they mentioned something to the fact they needed to challenge themselves in selecting an alternative SD.

So for me, the "outskating" comment is in reference, as golden411 pointed out, that they felt that their abilities and execution merited something better than Mary Poppins.