Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Javier Fernandez

Javier Fernandez

Excerpt: Fernandez delivered the program of his career to win the free skating portion of the event by a margin of 1.3 points. Three quad jumps (a toe and two Salchows), a triple Axel, and five more triples were worth 178.43 (95.93/82.50). The Spaniard’s only mistake was doubling a triple loop. He got 258.62 in total.

“I tried a triple Axel and it was not coming,” said the student of Brian Orser about his jump layout, “so I started working on the quads in practice last season. This season I’m doing it in competition. Of course, I’m very happy with tonight’s performance.”

More...

That was fantastic!! And very hard!!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's hard to be a skater from one of the smaller federation and succeed.

Javier is amazing.

Particularly his LP at the JGPF was amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPd29Omdug

His EX from the GPF. I believe he is the first Spanish skater to ever qualify for the GPF:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMS5c3qStiQ

He certainly deserves his own fan fest thread.

I hope I'm not his only fan

I love him! I think he's adorable!

He carries himself on the ice much like Brian Orser though, and that bugs me a bit, but I do love his LP this year... loved his programs last year, too.

He has tons of fans here from another thread I opened a few weeks back. Everyone wants to see him on Worlds podium. He does carry himself like Order but that is a good thing, imo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's hard to be a skater from one of the smaller federation and succeed.

Javier is amazing.
    I hate that Javier loses 12-15 points in PCS to Patrick and Dai. He is so great that I think when he outskates those two technically he really should place ahead of them. I think PCS should be used to hold down skaters who make no effort to adapt to the requirements, not someone like Javier who really does a lot of great things out there, including good choreography.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hate that Javier loses 12-15 points in PCS to Patrick and Dai. He is so great that I think when he outskates those two technically he really should place ahead of them. I think PCS should be used to hold down skaters who make no effort to adapt to the requirements, not someone like Javier who really does a lot of great things out there, including good choreography.
    I agree that its a shame in situations such as at the GPF where he barely missed the podium, but I think if he started getting comparable PCS it would just disincline him to work on those aspects of his skating. I remember Orser saying in an interview last year that it was hard to get Javi to work on his spins, and I kind of peg him as a guy who'd prefer to work on quads than basic stroking. Dai and Taka are training their quads because that's whats holding them back, and in the same way the PCS gap could motivate Javi to focus on skating skills and transitions next. Skaters wouldn't be making that effort to adapt to the requirements if it wasn't hurting them in the scores.

I Javier's skating, and was hoping he would be on the podium @ the GPF, but I guess he had a little too much ground to make up after the SP. Hope he stays healthy, does well @ Europeans and Worlds!

On the Ice
    You're not the only fan dorispulaski!! I saw his performance on YouTube and he was great! My advice to Javi is to project more to the audience!!

Custom Title
    I love Javi's skating too, ever since he first skated as a drunken pirate! :D

I hope to see him crowned as Spain's first European champion this year. But no matter what he does or does not accomplish now and in the future, I think he will always be known as a trailblazer for Spanish skating.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

I hope I'm not his only fan
    Of course not, Javier has a fan base since he came out from juniors and it grows bigger every time

Custom Title
    Well, I thoroughly enjoy his skating - and his LP in particular!

Custom Title
    He has it all. I like his style and jumps but when you consider tes includes spins, footwork he needs more than jumps to beat the Japanese men and Chan. They still are better Pcs wise and although th is was a great skate, almost of the Sandu maybe can do genre, he will need to skate a few such programs before he is seen as consistent. Dai and Hanyu have done that. Technically speaking people say Chan is weak compared to the other top men but he probably has one of the most consistent quads of the top group - yes, Fernandez can do more but he is prone right now to be less consistent. I think Fernandez is doing himself and Spain proud. Orser style or not he is awesome. Too bad only 4 spots on that podium. So many good skaters.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^4?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I love Javi's skating too, ever since he first skated as a drunken pirate! :D

I hope to see him crowned as Spain's first European champion this year.
    This! I hope he does it. He just have to keep his cool.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast