Javier Fernandez | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
Yeah he seems to be just fine, seems like the surgery took place the day before the placque was revealed. That they basically just injected an antiinflamatory. It's so nice to see him getting so much support from his neighbors :yes:

so what did he say in the interview? it seems once he is home, he has always been busy with media/PR, etc., which is very good for him; I am wondering whether he would be invited to some TV shows for Rio Olympics this summer :biggrin:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
so what did he say in the interview? it seems once he is home, he has always been busy with media/PR, etc., which is very good for him; I am wondering whether he would be invited to some TV shows for Rio Olympics this summer :biggrin:

Not much, nothing that he hasn't said before. That he feels very honored to be recognized by people he's known his whole life and that it motivates him to aim for even more medals. The girl asked which was the next step, he said Euros and Worlds this year and hopefully an Olympic Gold in 2018 :)

evergreen

On the Ice
Not much, nothing that he hasn't said before. That he feels very honored to be recognized by people he's known his whole life and that it motivates him to aim for even more medals. The girl asked which was the next step, he said Euros and Worlds this year and hopefully an Olympic Gold in 2018 :)

Thank you for the brief translation, xibsuarzI am glad that he has set a clearly-defined goal with confidence since his victory of 2016 worlds. In the past, he always said that his goal was to be on the podium, whilst I appreciate his modest and also understand he did not want to target on something which he was not certain to achieve, there is nothing wrong for an elite skater to set a goal on OGM, even a 16-year-old Nam declared his goal for OGM after finishing 5th at 15' Worlds.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Thanks for the translation again, xibsuarz!

Video from yesterday from Miki: https://twitter.com/M1K1_ANDO/status/748278791450071040

The difference is just that: Nam was a 16-year-old with no experience from the biggest competiton and Javi is a 25-year-old with 2 Olympics under his belt. And the second one must have been rather a disappointing experience. With so many brilliant skaters never making it in good in the Olympics, there must be that little doubt nagging away in his mind... So, maybe it is better to take it one step at a time and take the Olympics pressure on only when it really is there! ;)

The GP assignments should be revealed today...

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Cool!:thumbsup::love: I am sure Javi's neighbors must be very proud of him :laugh:

The difference is just that: Nam was a 16-year-old with no experience from the biggest competiton and Javi is a 25-year-old with 2 Olympics under his belt. And the second one must have been rather a disappointing experience. With so many brilliant skaters never making it in good in the Olympics, there must be that little doubt nagging away in his mind... So, maybe it is better to take it one step at a time and take the Olympics pressure on only when it really is there! ;)

he was so close to the podium in Sochi:( 2018's is probably his last Olympics and very likely his last competition, and it is just 17-month away :drama:

But when Javi was 16-year-old, he had never thought about OGM, his biggest dream by then was to qualify for Olympics; On the other hand, Yuzuru set his goal on 2 OGMs in a row at 7 or 8 years old.

The GP assignments should be revealed today...

Yes, I am waiting for it :laugh:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Wonderful that Javi is getting so much attention in Spain!!!

I think that as a two-time World champion it is very suitable for Javier to have the Olympic gold medal as a goal. A goal is a totally different matter than announcing to win it :laugh:. Yes, it is great that the GP assignments will be revealed to day... It has been a looong wait!

Thanks for the news and translations!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Alas, Hielo Espanol says tomorrow - the meeting is in NYC which means that the news will be out maybe in the evening today US time, ie tomorrow morning in Europe? Oh well...

He has the at his most explicit in setting goals for this season - renewing championships and trying to get the GP Final gold which is still missing from his collection. So that is quite different compared to the past. People react to setting explicit goals very differently - some find them intimidating and get stressed just thinking about them, some thrive on the pressure. Feet on the ground seems to be his approach?!

E

PS Fantasy on Ice FB pages released some photos: https://www.facebook.com/1581188472...180587831016/1757177511164657/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
He has the at his most explicit in setting goals for this season - renewing championships and trying to get the GP Final gold which is still missing from his collection. So that is quite different compared to the past.

In short, he wants to win them all :clap: This is the attitude I am looking forward to: biggrin:

People react to setting explicit goals very differently - some find them intimidating and get stressed just thinking about them, some thrive on the pressure. Feet on the ground seems to be his approach?!

In the past, yes, he got panic, particularly in the second half season 2011-12, when he was in the final flight of both Euros and Worlds, he had never been in the position as one of the medal contenders for ISU championships before, he was not mentally ready. His team learned the lesson and did not set the goal for the medal finish in the following season. When he came to 2013 Euros, his skates went missing in the airport, poor Javi had to go through his routines off ice; he borrowed a pair of skates to do run though of his short program one day before the competition at practice rink, it did not went well; when he finally found his skates and stepped on the main ice rink, the 6-minute warm up was the only practice he had before his SP; and he won eventually with the second highest total score in ISU record at the time. I guess that the concern about missing skates kept him from worrying about the competition or helped him to loose up a little bit. When he came to the Worlds, according to Tracy Wilson, they set the goal for top 5 finish because of his winning European title.

Yes, I agree that feet on the ground is his approach; it worked in the past; his clearly-defined goal for the next two seasons is accomplishable with hard work and dedication. He has the ability to be on the top.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Glad to learn that it's a relatively small problem and that they are treating it. Wishing Javi a speedy recovery!

People react to setting explicit goals very differently - some find them intimidating and get stressed just thinking about them, some thrive on the pressure. Feet on the ground seems to be his approach?!

E

I agree that feet on the ground seems to be his approach. He is always level-headed enough to understand that a lot can happen at a competition, that the sport can be very unpredictable, and he always handles both wins and losses graciously. So I hope instead of putting undesirable pressure on him, setting clear goals helps keep him focused.

In the past, yes, he got panic, particularly in the second half season 2011-12, when he was in the final flight of both Euros and Worlds, he had never been in the position as one of the medal contenders for ISU championships before, he was not mentally ready. His team learned the lesson and did not set the goal for the medal finish in the following season. When he came to 2013 Euros, his skates went missing in the airport, poor Javi had to go through his routines off ice; he borrowed a pair of skates to do run though of his short program one day before the competition at practice rink, it did not went well; when he finally found his skates and stepped on the main ice rink, the 6-minute warm up was the only practice he had before his SP; and he won eventually with the second highest total score in ISU record at the time. I guess that the concern about missing skates kept him from worrying about the competition or helped him to loose up a little bit. When he came to the Worlds, according to Tracy Wilson, they set the goal for top 5 finish because of his winning European title.

After Javi did well at his GP events and the GPF in the 2011-2012 season people's expectation for him at Euros grew, but he probably wasn't 100% to handle the pressure. He said that he was like "What? There are people expecting me to win at Euros??"
He has grown a lot in the past few years, for sure.

(Oh, and I have to say this: his eyelashes can actually be quite distracting when the camera is that close to him. :laugh:)

evergreen

On the Ice
After Javi did well at his GP events and the GPF in the 2011-2012 season people's expectation for him at Euros grew, but he probably wasn't 100% to handle the pressure. He said that he was like "What? There are people expecting me to win at Euros??"

I am one of the people :palmf:

On the paper, he was capable to win 2012 Euros, but he was not mentally prepared to be at the top; in the meanwhile, after GPF, he went back to his old training regime and was reluctant to do full run-through on daily basis, a training habit he developed under Morozov; he also lost some training time heading to the Euros because of neck & back injuries.

He has grown a lot in the past few years, for sure.

he was so used to moving up from the bottom gradually year by year, it took a while for him to get used to his position at the top level

(Oh, and I have to say this: his eyelashes can actually be quite distracting when the camera is that close to him. :laugh:)

:laugh: I recalled a Japanese tv host asked him in an interview what product did he use to get such long & curly eyelashes, he answered he did not use anything; Japanese fans love the long eyelashes on him, they're gorgeous and make him look cute and innocent.:luv17:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
So it's France and Russia for Javi. I never thought he would get/choose back-to-back competitions. I wonder if he will travel from Canada to France back to Canada to Russia and back to Canada or if he will decide to stay in Spain to avoid jet lag :scratch2:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So it's France and Russia for Javi. I never thought he would get/choose back-to-back competitions. I wonder if he will travel from Canada to France back to Canada to Russia and back to Canada or if he will decide to stay in Spain to avoid jet lag :scratch2:

I´m surprised about back-to-back competitions for Javi.... I´d suppose that he´ll remain in Europe and train here between the events.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
How delightful that the Spaniards had the time wrong - now I can go to sleep peacefully :biggrin:

Did he go back to Toronto between Moscow and Beijing last year? I guess so, but don't know. IIRC he stayed in Moscor for at least one more day after the GP?

But it looks interesting based on what we've seen - Shoma is maybe his biggest opponent in Moscow? Ten in Paris maybe (his fall season has never been very good, but who knows)? Chen moves up to seniors now and it's difficult to know how well he will do (Shoma did pretty good for the first senior year).

Thinking hard about going to Paris - there are lots of skaters I've never seen before and would like to see.

E

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
How delightful that the Spaniards had the time wrong - now I can go to sleep peacefully :biggrin:

Did he go back to Toronto between Moscow and Beijing last year? I guess so, but don't know. IIRC he stayed in Moscor for at least one more day after the GP?

But it looks interesting based on what we've seen - Shoma is maybe his biggest opponent in Moscow? Ten in Paris maybe (his fall season has never been very good, but who knows)? Chen moves up to seniors now and it's difficult to know how well he will do (Shoma did pretty good for the first senior year).

Thinking hard about going to Paris - there are lots of skaters I've never seen before and would like to see.

E

He did go back to Toronto but last year COC was before COR, with TEB in between. So he had a week to rest in between, I hope the back to back events don't wear him out. If it does, well he has 4 weeks until the GPF :biggrin:
Yeah I think Shoma and Mikhail should be the ones he needs to look out for. And Nathan and Denis for TEB (CDF?).
Still, like last year, his GPs are on him to lose :yes:

honghe

On the Ice
He did go back to Toronto but last year COC was before COR, with TEB in between. So he had a week to rest in between, I hope the back to back events don't wear him out. If it does, well he has 4 weeks until the GPF :biggrin:
Yeah I think Shoma and Mikhail should be the ones he needs to look out for. And Nathan and Denis for TEB (CDF?).
Still, like last year, his GPs are on him to lose :yes:

I think it's now called TdF or something? lol it's so confusing... Anyway I think it's Javi's first time competing at this event in 7 years. The last time was in the 2009-2010 season.
I guess one of the good things about getting TdF (or whatever it is called now) is that if they want to it will be easy for his family and friends to travel to France to watch him skate.

evergreen

On the Ice
Back to Back competition is going to be very tough, I assume Javi selected the GP events, (since Yuzuru will compete at SC, if Javi wanted SC, he would get the spot), he will get himself ready for the challenge.

Not sure I will go to either of his GP competitions, I don't like Moscow, especially during the winter, between GP and GPF, I may save my trip to Marseille ;)

tzazu

Medalist
SA would have been better, but they don't want Javi there, China and NHK are not options because they choose their skaters (Yuzu and Bojang), Javi doesn't want SC. The options are only TF and CoR, two in a row. But now he will have four weeks till the GPF :think:

Spiral

Final Flight
Yah, he had been rejected by USFSA twice or three times for SA:(

But why? Shoma, Boyang, Denis and Maksim are all quite capable of winning at SA too.

But still back-to-back competition:disapp:

Well, at least it’s not much of a time difference between Moscow and Paris. TEB and COC would have been much worse, which is probably why I don’t see anybody doing it.

I think going back to Canada for two days would be crazy. Nor would it be such a good idea to squeeze in a side-trip to Spain. I think it would be easier for his family to go see him in Paris. It seems to me the best would be either to stay a couple extra days in Moscow, spend quality time with his pal Voronov, visit the old haunts, or go to Paris a bit earlier and spend some extra time with his family.