Javier Fernandez | Page 103 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
But why? Shoma, Boyang, Denis and Maksim are all quite capable of winning at SA too.

These skaters have their Federations( which host the GP competition in their respective home soil) cut the deals with USFSA, and Denis has Frank Caroll as his coach who is powerful enough to secure a spot at SA (it make more sense for Denis to go to SA since he trains in LA).

Well, at least it’s not much of a time difference between Moscow and Paris. TEB and COC would have been much worse, which is probably why I don’t see anybody doing it.

Physically & mentally it would be such a great challenge to do two competitions in a row, in addition, I can hardly see how he could develop his programs in between; skaters rarely do back-to-back GP competition. IIRC, a Chinese lady skater, Liu Yan, competed in two GP events in a row, and she fainted at the end of her free skate in the latter competition:sad21:

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
These skaters have their Federations( which host the GP competition in their respective home soil) cut the deals with USFSA, and Denis has Frank Caroll as his coach who is powerful enough to secure a spot at SA (it make more sense for Denis to go to SA since he trains in LA).

Oh, I see now. Thanks for the explanation! :thank:

Physically & mentally it would be such a great challenge to do two competitions in a row, in addition, I can hardly see how he could develop his programs in between; skaters rarely do back-to-back GP competition. IIRC, a Chinese lady skater, Liu Yan, competed in two GP events in a row, and she fainted at the end of her free skate in the latter competition:sad21:

Well, I remember Ilinykh/Katsalapov doing NHK and TEB back to back during their last season together. They finished off the podium at NHK, but during a brief stop over in Moscow they received some consultations, and at TEB they won silver. Moreover, they won the LP at TEB, over Virtue/Moir. And think of all the skaters at NHK this or the previous two seasons who them went/will go to Barcelona/Marseille for GPF. Hanyu did fine last year, didn’t he?

honghe

On the Ice
I think going back to Canada for two days would be crazy. Nor would it be such a good idea to squeeze in a side-trip to Spain. I think it would be easier for his family to go see him in Paris. It seems to me the best would be either to stay a couple extra days in Moscow, spend quality time with his pal Voronov, visit the old haunts, or go to Paris a bit earlier and spend some extra time with his family.

Going back to Canada between his two GP events would mean that he pretty much has to deal with jet lag four times in less than two weeks...:eek:
Regarding the few days between the two events, I tend to agree with you that it would make more sense for Javi to find a place to train that does not requires much extra traveling. I'm sure he always want to take advantage of any chance to visit Spain, but a side trip to Spain between CoR and TdF would mean not only more traveling but possibly more distraction, as well.

On the other hand, Javi will have more time to prepare his programs than if he gets SA or SC. Of course it is different than developing his programs after getting feedback from judges... But then he will still have plenty of time between TdF and GPF (if he makes it to the GPF, which I hope and expect he will).
:sad21: I didn't know that about Liu Yan... That's so scary. I pray for Javi's good health and surviving the two events with good results and as little inconvenience as possible.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Back to back events is suprising, but at least both are in Europe (Chock/Bates has it worse). I'm sure Javi and Brian will figure something out to avoid jet lags and traveling too much. I think the CoR might be tough though, having to compete both Shoma Uno and Mikhail Kolyada. Of course, it should be no problem if he skates clean, but if there will be mistake then who knows.

evergreen

On the Ice
Well, I remember Ilinykh/Katsalapov doing NHK and TEB back to back during their last season together. They finished off the podium at NHK, but during a brief stop over in Moscow they received some consultations, and at TEB they won silver. Moreover, they won the LP at TEB, over Virtue/Moir. And think of all the skaters at NHK this or the previous two seasons who them went/will go to Barcelona/Marseille for GPF. Hanyu did fine last year, didn’t he?

First of all, you are very welcome!

I have to say it depends on the discipline and the skater's condition. Ice dancing is less physically demanding than quad-packing programs in men's discipline. As to Yuzuru, at least he had 2 weeks in between until GPF Barcelona last year, but 10 days after GPF he didn't do well in Japan National, had falls in both SP & FS.

It is what it is, I believe Brian Orser will figure his way to prepare Javi for two GP competitions in a row as well as the logistics & training issues. IIRC, Brian took Javi with him when Yuzuru competed in 2013 TEB, because Javi would compete in COR the following week and he did not want to waste Javi's precious training time during his absence. This is the example how Brian deals with the unusual GP arrangements of his students.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It is what it is, I believe Brian Orser will figure his way to prepare Javi for two GP competitions in a row as well as the logistics & training issues. IIRC, Brian took Javi with him when Yuzuru competed in 2013 TEB, because Javi would compete in COR the following week and he did not want to waste Javi's precious training time during his absence. This is the example how Brian deals with the unusual GP arrangements of his students.

I agree, they have several months to figure it out and prepare for it in whatever way they think is appropriate. He could maybe participate in a minor competion before Rostelecom to test the programs? He has been invited to Japan Open for quite a few times in a row and that has worked as a platform for the FS.
E

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I still don't get why he refused skate Canada and let Yuzu do Cor :think:

uhh

Medalist
I'm so glad he has TEB. I know the the Spanish girls "the Orange Team" are super excited to be able to see him on the GP, and I will be there with the SuperJavi banner. :hap10:

Back to back is not a problem - it's not a hard trip, he can stay in Russia for ice time after CoR and then it's just a 4 hour flight to Paris, and lots of the other skaters will be making a much longer journey.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
There is possibility he was rejected by Skate Canada for SC? Or he simply needs one more week to get himself ready for GP? :scratch2:

I don't think it makes any difference for SC and Chan if there is Yuzu or Javi. Also BO can arrange SC spot for one of his skater any time. Logically it would be more convenient for javi to do SC and TEB and for Yuzu CoR and NHK... I guess they both discussed it with Brian so the team found other way better... we shall see how it works out. I still think 2 competitions that close to each other is too much for the male skater. Last year Liza Turs did it back to back and C/B this year also have back to back but their difficulty and pressure on body isn't comparable with top men really... :unsure:

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I'm so glad he has TEB. I know the the Spanish girls "the Orange Team" are super excited to be able to see him on the GP, and I will be there with the SuperJavi banner. :hap10:

This is the bright side of Javi's odd or unusual GP schedule. His Spanish fans can go to see him competing in a venue close enough to Spain. This means a lot to him and his fans.

Back to back is not a problem - it's not a hard trip, he can stay in Russia for ice time after CoR and then it's just a 4 hour flight to Paris, and lots of the other skaters will be making a much longer journey.

it is not the tiring trip I am concerned about, Javi had to travel to China and Russian from Toronto last year and he still won COC and COR, however, preparing and competing in high-level competitions back-to-back within 2 weeks is very tough & demanding. In addition, skaters usually need to develop/adapt their programs upon the feedback from the judges in the first GP competition, which takes some time to absorb and practice. Two competitions in a row in 2 weeks gives him little time to do so.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I don't think it makes any difference for SC and Chan if there is Yuzu or Javi. Also BO can arrange SC spot for one of his skater any time.

But Japan Federation may want Yuzuru to compete in SC, as the venue is close to his training base and Yuzuru prefers to compete with a strong ravel like Patrick; since Japan does not have strong field in pairs & ice dance, Japan Federation can offer a good deal to Skate Canada for their pairs/ice dance teams, all Skate Canada needs to do is to reject Javi so as to save the spot for the No.2 seed. Under such circumstances, I doubt Brian Orser has bargain power to save a spot for Javi.

Last year Liza Turs did it back to back and C/B this year also have back to back but their difficulty and pressure on body isn't comparable with top men really...

Yes, this is my point, thinking about top men's quad packing programs, I assume Javi will have a 2-quad SP and 3-quad & 2-3 Axel LP :eek:

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
I agree, they have several months to figure it out and prepare for it in whatever way they think is appropriate. He could maybe participate in a minor competion before Rostelecom to test the programs? He has been invited to Japan Open for quite a few times in a row and that has worked as a platform for the FS.
E

I think they always do a smaller competition before GP. Aside from Japan Open Javi has also gone to Nebelhorn and Finlandia in the past. The thing wish Japan Open though is that there's no SP there. But then Javi is keeping his SP music so maybe it's not a huge problem.

If you are talking about the banner I've seen on TV and in photos, that banner is super awesome!!!:clap:

uhh

Medalist
If you are talking about the banner I've seen on TV and in photos, that banner is super awesome!!!:clap:

Yes! My friend made it 4 years ago, she takes it to events in the US and Canada, and I try to make sure it gets to everywhere Javi skates in Europe.

evergreen

On the Ice
I think they always do a smaller competition before GP. Aside from Japan Open Javi has also gone to Nebelhorn and Finlandia in the past. The thing wish Japan Open though is that there's no SP there. But then Javi is keeping his SP music so maybe it's not a huge problem.

Does the skater get better paid for competing at Japan Open? I assume he will go to Japan Open this year as well, if this is the case and if I am not going to TDF and GPF, I will go to Japan Open.

Is it the blue & red Super Javi banner? It seems this banner travels with Javi, I saw it in every competition Javi went to, i.e., last year at COC. :laugh:

On a side note, honghe, I watched the 2016 worlds gala NBC version this afternoon, Tracy Wilson mentioned during the intermission that David Wilson specially picked Frank Sinatra's Guys & Dolls for Javi for US audience at the worlds and it paid off well.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Honestly it's unlikely we will ever know why Javi got assigned CoR and TdF back to back so I won't speculate. I think both are not bad places for Javi to be, though. He's very used to competing at CoR and TdF is close to Spain. Plus he hasn't been at TdF for years so maybe it's about time.
I'm sure they will have reasonable plans about how to deal with traveling, training etc. for the back to back competitions.

honghe

On the Ice
Yes! My friend made it 4 years ago, she takes it to events in the US and Canada, and I try to make sure it gets to everywhere Javi skates in Europe.

Awww that's really sweet! I thought it appeared even before the SuperJavi exhibition program but I wasn't sure :laugh:

On a side note, honghe, I watched the 2016 worlds gala NBC version this afternoon, Tracy Wilson mentioned during the intermission that David Wilson specially picked Frank Sinatra's Guys & Dolls for Javi for US audience at the worlds and it paid off well.

Thanks for the information! It's a great program and I am happy that Javi brought the house down with it in Boston! :luv17:

evergreen

On the Ice
Honestly it's unlikely we will ever know why Javi got assigned CoR and TdF back to back so I won't speculate.

That is so ture. As Javi likes to say, whatever happens happens, this may push him to get physically & mentally stronger. Top skaters from small federations may not have the same advantages as their peers from big federations have, but they may become better competitors by overcoming all the hardships and difficulties;)

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice

Just read Jackie Wong's twitter, Javi will be in this year's Japan Open again:love:, Team Europe also includes Anna Pogorilaya and Evgenia Medvedeva, skaters from North America are Jeremy Abbott. Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon, Ashly Wagner

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Let's hope Hielo Espanol got this one right, just in: "Como ya es costumbre, Javier Fernández skater abrirá la temporada en el Japan Open (que este año se celebrará el 1 de octubre) donde, como integrante del equipo europeo, presentará su nuevo programa libre con música de Elvis Presley. De momento se sabe que, junto a Fernández estarán las rusas Elena Medvedeva y Anna Pogorilaya, en el conjunto que representará a nuestro continente."

JO is an invitational, so just anyone can't participate. They really love Javi apparently - 4th time in a row... :biggrin: The money is fairly good - USD 80 000 for the winning team, 60 000 for 2nd etc. in 2015. Certainly more worthwhile than any of the Challenger Series comps.

So the FS will be tested there, then. Last year I remember him saying that he was pretty nervous about the new SP in CoC, but maybe it'll be easier in the second year?!

He has also been going to Rostelecom for years - this will be the 6th time out of the 8 years he has gotten GP assignments. And he's usually done good there, so this might also be a sentimental choice.

E