Javier Fernandez | Page 104 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I still don't get why he refused skate Canada and let Yuzu do Cor :think:

Well, Javi really likes skating at COR ;) he's been there many years in a row. I think COR was basically a given for Javi, but I'm more surprised he chose TDF over SC, perhaps he didn't want to compete against Patrick so early in the season (because Patrick at SC was also a given but with the changes in the schedule, it was uncertain whether he would be at TDF again or not). Or perhaps he did chose it but SC and JSF made an agreement :shrug:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Let's hope Hielo Espanol got this one right, just in: "Como ya es costumbre, Javier Fernández skater abrirá la temporada en el Japan Open (que este año se celebrará el 1 de octubre) donde, como integrante del equipo europeo, presentará su nuevo programa libre con música de Elvis Presley. De momento se sabe que, junto a Fernández estarán las rusas Elena Medvedeva y Anna Pogorilaya, en el conjunto que representará a nuestro continente."

JO is an invitational, so just anyone can't participate. They really love Javi apparently - 4th time in a row... :biggrin: The money is fairly good - USD 80 000 for the winning team, 60 000 for 2nd etc. in 2015. Certainly more worthwhile than any of the Challenger Series comps.

So the FS will be tested there, then. Last year I remember him saying that he was pretty nervous about the new SP in CoC, but maybe it'll be easier in the second year?!

He has also been going to Rostelecom for years - this will be the 6th time out of the 8 years he has gotten GP assignments. And he's usually done good there, so this might also be a sentimental choice.

E

:palmf: oh Hielo Español...
But I agree, I think the important thing is to test the FS, since the SP will have the same basic concept and layout even if they change the choreography a bit.

evergreen

On the Ice
He has also been going to Rostelecom for years - this will be the 6th time out of the 8 years he has gotten GP assignments. And he's usually done good there, so this might also be a sentimental choice.

Once upon a time, Javi had a much bigger fan base in Russia than the one of his home country, I don't know whether this is still the case; plus he trained in Moscow for months in 2010-11 season.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
evergreen;1449913 On a side note said:
honghe[/B], I watched the 2016 worlds gala NBC version this afternoon, Tracy Wilson mentioned during the intermission that David Wilson specially picked Frank Sinatra's Guys & Dolls for Javi for US audience at the worlds and it paid off well.

Genius move! The audience loved it and was with him every step of the way. He was so cute when they interviewed him afterwards and he said he was so surprised with the way the audience supported him, and now he will have Boston in his heart...What a great champion!

honghe

On the Ice
Just read Jackie Wong's twitter, Javi will be in this year's Japan Open again:love:, Team Europe also includes Anna Pogorilaya and Evgenia Medvedeva, skaters from North America are Jeremy Abbott. Gracie Gold, Adam Rippon, Ashly Wagner

Let's hope Hielo Espanol got this one right, just in: "Como ya es costumbre, Javier Fernández skater abrirá la temporada en el Japan Open (que este año se celebrará el 1 de octubre) donde, como integrante del equipo europeo, presentará su nuevo programa libre con música de Elvis Presley. De momento se sabe que, junto a Fernández estarán las rusas Elena Medvedeva y Anna Pogorilaya, en el conjunto que representará a nuestro continente."

JO is an invitational, so just anyone can't participate. They really love Javi apparently - 4th time in a row... :biggrin: The money is fairly good - USD 80 000 for the winning team, 60 000 for 2nd etc. in 2015. Certainly more worthwhile than any of the Challenger Series comps.

So the FS will be tested there, then. Last year I remember him saying that he was pretty nervous about the new SP in CoC, but maybe it'll be easier in the second year?!

E

So just as we were discussing it, it was announced that Javi will be in Japan Open again:laugh:
The announced roster so far is pretty amazing! All the lady medalists at Worlds will be there:yes:
Team North America will be Team USA this time as none of the Canadian skaters are going. I vaguely remember that one year when Javi, Jeff and Patrick all went to Japan Open and the three of them were photographed together and people were joking about whether Javi was in Team Europe or Team North America.:laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
Team North America will be Team USA this time as none of the Canadian skaters are going. I vaguely remember that one year when Javi, Jeff and Patrick all went to Japan Open and the three of them were photographed together and people were joking about whether Javi was in Team Europe or Team North America.:laugh:

he is Team Universe:laugh: he can be with Team Japan because of MIKI :)

Things are really kicking in ~ three months away from Japan Open! I normally don't want to travel to Japan in the first week of October, because of Chinese golden week, Japan is packed with tourists from China and everything is fully booked and expensive:(

Sol

Rinkside
Yes! My friend made it 4 years ago, she takes it to events in the US and Canada, and I try to make sure it gets to everywhere Javi skates in Europe.

Thats cool! i have watched that banner so many times on tv, and also the orange team hehe the spanish commentator always talks about them when they are on tv, they seem to be in so many competitions and have so much fun, i envy them!

tzazu

Medalist
Two events in a row is hard, and it's true that he won't have time for doing changes between the two events; but I'm totally convinced he will be placed for the GPG; and four weeks are more than enough time for doing whatever necessary change :yes2:

honghe

On the Ice
I just realized that Aliona/Bruno is also going to both CoR and TEB. So Javi is not the only one going to these two events back to back. Of course the traveling and jet lag won't be the same since they train in Europe, but it is still physically and mentally demanding for pairs to do events back to back, not to mention in their first GP season together.

evergreen

On the Ice
I just realized that Aliona/Bruno is also going to both CoR and TEB. So Javi is not the only one going to these two events back to back. Of course the traveling and jet lag won't be the same since they train in Europe, but it is still physically and mentally demanding for pairs to do events back to back, not to mention in their first GP season together.

Artur Dmitriev, Jr. is also going to COR/TEB next season, and Chock/Bates are doing back-to-back competition at SC/COR. Wish them all compete well and stay healthy:)

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
Artur Dmitriev, Jr. is also going to COR/TEB next season, and Chock/Bates are doing back-to-back competition at SC/COR. Wish them all compete well and stay health:)

Also Zabiyako/Enbert (COR and TEB), Chafik Besseghier (also COR and TEB) and Karen Chen (COC and NHK). So it's not very uncommon. Wish them all good health and good luck too!

evergreen

On the Ice
Also Zabiyako/Enbert (COR and TEB), Chafik Besseghier (also COR and TEB) and Karen Chen (COC and NHK). So it's not very uncommon. Wish them all good health and good luck too!

Yah, however, being world champion and assigned to two GP competitions in a row is very rare:noshake:

Spiral

Final Flight
Yah, however, being world champion and assigned to two GP competitions in a row is very rare:noshake:

I agree that it's a shame that a reigning world champion can't pick his GP assignments. Personally, I think host countries shouldn't be allowed to refuse the skaters in the top six, so that the 1st and the 4th skaters could choose whichever events they wished, then the 2nd and 5th skaters, and then the 3rd and 6th would take what's left. That seems fair to me. Skaters from smaller federations have a more difficult time getting to the top as it is, without being discriminated against after they make it.

But on the positive side, Javier has met the mayor of Madrid and the Spanish royal family. I don't think Yuzuru has ever met the Japanese emperor, or Patrick - Queen Elizabeth. :)

evergreen

On the Ice
I agree that it's a shame that a reigning world champion can't pick his GP assignments. Personally, I think host countries shouldn't be allowed to refuse the skaters in the top six, so that the 1st and the 4th skaters could choose whichever events they wished, then the 2nd and 5th skaters, and then the 3rd and 6th would take what's left. That seems fair to me. Skaters from smaller federations have a more difficult time getting to the top as it is, without being discriminated against after they make it.

But on the positive side, Javier has met the mayor of Madrid and the Spanish royal family. I don't think Yuzuru has ever met the Japanese emperor, or Patrick - Queen Elizabeth. :)

Yuzuru and other members of Japanese Olympics delegation were invited to have tea with Japanese Emperor in 2104.

Whilst I was a little pissed off at the GP assignments Javi gets for the next season, there are always tradeoff, he may not be benefited from the advantages the big federations can provide, he sure will become stronger overcoming those physical and mental challenges. Plus, Brian Orser is always at his side. In a recent interview, he admitted that he did give Javi a little more care, since unlike Yuzuru, who is accompanied by his mother and personal physical therapist in Toronto and surrounded by a group of supporting team, Javi has no one there, he lives alone, has to cook by himself and make his own physical therapy appointment. Kudos to Brian being such a great coach :luv17:

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice

And skaters from the biggest federations face more internal competition and in many cases do not get to go to so many Worlds as some skaters from small federations do. I guess the cloud does have a silver lining.:)

honghe

On the Ice
Yuzuru and other members of Japanese Olympics delegation were invited to have tea with Japanese Emperor in 2104.

But that's in the future?;) Haha just kidding. I know what you meant. It must be a very nice meeting. I love how Japanese people have tea.:)

Didn't Javi mention that when he was very sick Brian went to the pharmacy to get medicine for him? I guess Brian would not have had to do this had Javi had family members around.

On the other hand, according to someone who worked at Worlds, Brian accompanied Yuzuru but not Javi to get accreditation and stuff. I remember Brian said that there are situations where he needs to give one of his skaters more attention, and situations where he needs to give another more attention, and it's important for him to be able to read his skaters and have the wonderful team around. (And he was talking about all his skaters, not just the men.) I think those at the Cricket Club have been doing a great job with their skaters, as they all seem to be pretty happy and positive persons.

I can't really complain about the GP assignments, especially since I don't know whether Javi had a reason to prefer these two events himself. Either way, I believe Javi has the best possible people around to help him and they will figure out a good way to approach his new season.:yes:

evergreen

On the Ice
But that's in the future?;) Haha just kidding. I know what you meant. It must be a very nice meeting. I love how Japanese people have tea.:)

:laugh:, sorry for the typo:scratch2:. From the pictures I saw, it seems like a garden tea party and Yuzuru's home town also threw him a victory parade.

Didn't Javi mention that when he was very sick Brian went to the pharmacy to get medicine for him? I guess Brian would not have had to do this had Javi had family members around.

Yes, he mentioned this in the men's final press conference of 15' worlds and several interviews. Beside this, when he was sick, Brian checked on Javi by calling from the rink frequently, whether he ate properly, did he take his medicine, etc. He really take care of his skaters more than just the skating.

On the other hand, according to someone who worked at Worlds, Brian accompanied Yuzuru but not Javi to get accreditation and stuff. I remember Brian said that there are situations where he needs to give one of his skaters more attention, and situations where he needs to give another more attention, and it's important for him to be able to read his skaters and have the wonderful team around. (And he was talking about all his skaters, not just the men.) I think those at the Cricket Club have been doing a great job with their skaters, as they all seem to be pretty happy and positive persons.

Yes, Javi came to the worlds with his Spanish fellow team members; and Brain accompanied Javi to the arena for both SP & FS.

I can't really complain about the GP assignments, especially since I don't know whether Javi had a reason to prefer these two events himself. Either way, I believe Javi has the best possible people around to help him and they will figure out a good way to approach his new season.:yes:

Exactly, as I said earlier it is what it is, I wish all the best to Javi and other skaters who have to compete in back-to-back GP events, at least Javi's parents, his relatives and fans in Europe get to watch him competing in TDF live.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
Well I had to stay inside earlier today due to the weather and as a result this happened: https://www.sendspace.com/file/3r5k0g
I can't upload it to youtube now:( so it is a little inconvenient for you to view... (if someone can help me here I'd be very grateful)
It's pretty badly made so I apologize. Hopefully it can still make you guys smile;)
(All materials were uploaded to the internet by others. I don't own anything, of course.)

tzazu

Medalist
Well I had to stay inside earlier today due to the weather and as a result this happened: https://www.sendspace.com/file/3r5k0g
I can't upload it to youtube now:( so it is a little inconvenient for you to view... (if someone can help me here I'd be very grateful)
It's pretty badly made so I apologize. Hopefully it can still make you guys smile;)
(All materials were uploaded to the internet by others. I don't own anything, of course.)

Sorry, I can't help here, I'm totally useless in that area and I can't download it either :sad21:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm surprised about Javier's assignments like you guys. I thought he was going to get SC and TdF. I can understand why it didn't happen though, what with Skate Canada and JSF's friendship and the fact that Javier beat Chan in SC2012. There is one thing that occurred to me. I am not sure if coaches are going to be returning to their home rinks after GP events on other continents. So if Brian goes to Europe for COR, he will probably not come back to TO and will instead stick around for TdF. If that's the case, then Javier made a good decision to do these back to back GP events because his coach will also be with him. Does that theory make sense?