Javier Fernandez | Page 106 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

tzazu

Medalist
Maybe I'm the only one that liked his short hair of 2013-2014 a lot? I loved his "harsh" look 😍

honghe

On the Ice
I have doubts regarding a Grease program. While it perhaps would not be too horrible, I don't think it is the best idea one could have for a program.
IIRC, Javi once mentioned that he sought a program using the soundtrack of Amélie would be interesting. Now that could be an intriguing program if done well.

I've been thinking about the Elvis theme and in a way it fills me with fear and trepidation. I don't think that random songs from one artist (or particularly from a band) create a real theme, no matter how lovely and great the songs are. They are equally random as songs from say 3-4 different artists put together, if there is no other connection between the songs and if they don't somehow create a coherent whole. Michael Jackson - like Elvis - is barely border-line acceptable because both are artists with fairly distinctive (dance/movement) styles which can be used, but I would like to see some other kind of content as well...

E

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. I think even distinctive dance/movement can't save a program if the music edit makes no sense. There are so many Elvis songs so I hope they can come up with a smart and good program.

Maybe I'm the only one that liked his short hair of 2013-2014 a lot? I loved his "harsh" look 😍

I don't really like his short hair that season, but I have to agree that he did not look too bad, either:biggrin:

evergreen

On the Ice
In light of the interesting discussion of Javi's different hairstyles for the past several season, I am wondering whether his choreographer has something to say about his hairstyle; Javi mentioned in an IFS interview last year that the goatee for Malaguena was David Wilson's idea so as to give the program more authenticity; he shaved his facial hair for the free skate in COC last year and hoped that 10 days would be enough for him to grow a goatee for the short program in the next GP competition, COR:laugh:; since he is going to do back-to-back GP competitions this coming season, I doubt whether 6 days would be enough :rofl:

Anyway, in figure skating, it appears hairstyles are more important than most sports, since it can be part of the “look” of a costume or character. The skaters tend to take their choreographers' advice on this. I remembered when Davis/White joined Zueva & Shpilband camp, it was Marina's idea that Meryl should dye her hair black, as to Charlie, she suggested the blond curly mop to Charlie, although the latter prefers to have his hair cut short during off-season. It works, their hairstyles are the one of most important components of their signature look on ice.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
In light of the interesting discussion of Javi's different hairstyles for the past several season, I am wondering whether his choreographer has something to say about his hairstyle; Javi mentioned in an IFS interview last year that the goatee for Malaguena was David Wilson's idea so as to give the program more authenticity; he shaved his facial hair for the free skate in COC last year and hoped that 10 days would be enough for him to grow a goatee for the short program in the next GP competition, COR:laugh:; since he is going to do back-to-back GP competitions this coming season, I doubt whether 6 days would be enough :rofl:

So if 6 days are not enough to grow a good looking goatee, Javi will have to either keep the goatee for the FS at CoR or skate to Malaguena without the goatee at TEB? You probably can guess which one I would prefer :rofl:
I suppose keeping Malaguena for another season was a decision made by both Brian and David, as well as Javi. I wonder who will be in charge of making changes to the program and/or the new costume for Malaguena.

Anyway, in figure skating, it appears hairstyles are more important than most sports, since it can be part of the “look” of a costume or character. The skaters tend to take their choreographers' advice on this. I remembered when Davis/White joined Zueva & Shpilband camp, it was Marina's idea that Meryl should dye her hair black, as to Charlie, she suggested the blond curly mop to Charlie, although the latter prefers to have his hair cut short during off-season. It works, their hairstyles are the one of most important components of their signature look on ice.

I think dark hair really suits Meryl well. And Charlie is adorable with the mop.:yes:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I suppose keeping Malaguena for another season was a decision made by both Brian and David, as well as Javi. I wonder who will be in charge of making changes to the program and/or the new costume for Malaguena.

In TSL he said he would probably work with Antonio Najarro for the changes to Malagueña once he was back in Spain, so perhaps is among these dates :) the new costume, I guess it will be his usual designer who already knows what Javi likes to wear or not.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier doing a Grease program would be at least help me recover from seeing the one Evan Lysacek had. He only competed it once (Skate America 2005) but it gave me a scar for many years. I still can't believe Frank Carroll started a season thinking this would be a good idea - especially in an Olympic year.

Javier knows how to sell a character or a story properly.

Oh my. Was Evan's version as awful as I think it was?!

musicfan80

Medalist
Oh my. Was Evan's version as awful as I think it was?!

I still wonder what Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol were thinking initially going with that program. I also wonder how much $$$ Evan paid Lori Nichol to choreograph that. I'm also shocked that USFS let it pass in the monitoring session.

It seemed like afterwards Evan was only able to skate every SP and LP programs to warhorses (Carmen, Passion, Tosca, Bolero, Rhapsody in Blue, Firebird, Scheherazade).

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still wonder what Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol were thinking initially going with that program. I also wonder how much $$$ Evan paid Lori Nichol to choreograph that. I'm also shocked that USFS let it pass in the monitoring session.

It seemed like afterwards Evan was only able to skate every SP and LP programs to warhorses (Carmen, Passion, Tosca, Bolero, Rhapsody in Blue, Firebird, Scheherazade).

Any warhorse (and I LOVE warhorses) would be better than that disaster. And what was that wonky pre-rotation on the 3A!:eeking: Poor Dick Button was dying...The whole thing was just a hot mess! Hope poor Evan didn't get stuck with a huge bill for that choreo.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
I think there are other figure skating fans here who know this for sure better than I do but I believe that Lori Nichol was able to charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because of her success with skaters like Michelle Kwan.

--------------------------------------

Back to Javier, we all know he is EXCELLENT at pulling off difficult jumps and tell a story/express a character. Executing this the best at the right time is how he has won the last two world titles!

honghe

On the Ice
I think Danny himself could be a difficult character to choreograph and portray for a single skater's program. One thing goes wrong, the character could end up looking like a total jerk...

In TSL he said he would probably work with Antonio Najarro for the changes to Malagueña once he was back in Spain, so perhaps is among these dates :) the new costume, I guess it will be his usual designer who already knows what Javi likes to wear or not.

So it might be kind of like last summer, Javi works with Antonio Najarro while in Spain. It makes sense to have Najarro involved again. He did a great job choreographing Malaguena last year. I guess evergreen will also be very pleased if Javi is indeed working with Najarro again this summer for the SP;)

I believe Javi is still in the 10 day rest period after his small surgery? Then he'll need some time to rehab. If I am not mistaken he'll have the revised SP and perhaps the new FS choreographed before mid August. So he still has quite a lot do to besides enjoying his vacation. I hope he recovers soon and stay in good health.

evergreen

On the Ice
I think Danny himself could be a difficult character to choreograph and portray for a single skater's program. One thing goes wrong, the character could end up looking like a total jerk..

Pardon me, but who is Danny? one of the movie characters Elvis portrayed?:scratch2: I hardly watched any Elvis movies, may be 5 minutes clip there, 10 minutes here :sarcasm: hey, I watched 'Guys and Dolls' on the flight returning from the worlds for the first time, and it is a funny one, very good cast & acting, and I have to say David Wilson's team did a fantastic job editing the soundtrack to create a theme-like skating program music :luv17: how the lyrics came in towards the end of the program

So it might be kind of like last summer, Javi works with Antonio Najarro while in Spain. It makes sense to have Najarro involved again. He did a great job choreographing Malaguena last year. I guess evergreen will also be very pleased if Javi is indeed working with Najarro again this summer for the SP;)

Yes, honghe , my wish come true :yahoo: I am thrilled that Javi gets to work with Najarro again this summer, though my secret wish is that in addition to the choreographing, Javi can take some lessons from him, especially on the dancing posture/movements, the feelings and energy of each movement. I always love Najarro's choreography, i.e., the Carmen Short Dance he did for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin is such a genius masterpiece. I went for FaOI show in 2010, simply because Najarro was the choreographer for the show that year and it was there when I saw Yuzu's skating live for the 1st time, who was 15-year old.

I believe Javi is still in the 10 day rest period after his small surgery? Then he'll need some time to rehab. If I am not mistaken he'll have the revised SP and perhaps the new FS choreographed before mid August. So he still has quite a lot do to besides enjoying his vacation. I hope he recovers soon and stay in good health.

I doubt he took any rest after the minor operation, he attended the plague ceremony in the afternoon of the same day when his surgery took place in the morning :unsure:

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I think there are other figure skating fans here who know this for sure better than I do but I believe that Lori Nichol was able to charge $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because of her success with skaters like Michelle Kwan.

--------------------------------------
Some years ago, I read somewhere a range of $6,000 to $15,000 for choreography by a prominent choreographer, Lori Nicole charges $11,000 for the single's free skate; same does David Wilson, as these two are the top notch choreographers in figure skating. I don't think Lori would refund a penny if the program does not work :noshake:

Speaking of figure skating costs, I was under the impression that Evan was one of the few skaters did not need to worry about his bills, probably because the brand names of the costumes he wore throughout his career, Giorgio Armani, Vera Wang, although I cannot tell much differences of most of his outfits, since they are all in black :laugh:

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
Javi mentioned in an IFS interview last year that the goatee for Malaguena was David Wilson's idea so as to give the program more authenticity.

I’m afraid that’s the one aspect of that program I didn’t like. I think any man looks way better clean-shaven than with any kind of facial hair. I really hope he doesn't bother with this again this year and just appear as his normal self.

I think dark hair really suits Meryl well. And Charlie is adorable with the mop.:yes:

Me too!

I’m so glad he’ll be making some changes in Malaguena. I mean I liked the original one very much, but since he’s keeping it for another season, I think it would be better if it weren’t exactly the same program as in the past season. I generally am not in favor of skaters keeping their programs for the following year, even in case of masterpieces, because skaters usually have only a few years to skate at their peak, and I’d rather they had created more programs rather than fewer during this time to leave behind as their legacy. I also think that it makes the sport more interesting when everybody has new programs each year, and that it’s fairer to those skaters who do create two brand-new programs each year. But if Javier has decided to keep his SP, at least making some changes will make it more challenging for him and more interesting for the viewers, and it’s great that it’s the original creator of the program who’ll be doing it.

honghe

On the Ice
Pardon me, but who is Danny? one of the movie characters Elvis portrayed?:scratch2: I hardly watched any Elvis movies, may be 5 minutes clip there, 10 minutes here :sarcasm: hey, I watched 'Guys and Dolls' on the flight returning from the worlds for the first time, and it is a funny one, very good cast & acting, and I have to say David Wilson's team did a fantastic job editing the soundtrack to create a theme-like skating program music :luv17: how the lyrics came in towards the end of the program

Danny is one of the main characters in Grease. A boy who sometimes tries too hard to be cool.
I love the Guys and Dolls program, too:luv17:. I think the placements of lyrics in both Javi's SP and his FS this past season worked really well.

Yes, honghe , my wish come true :yahoo: I am thrilled that Javi gets to work with Najarro again this summer, though my secret wish is that in addition to the choreographing, Javi can take some lessons from him, especially on the dancing posture/movements, the feelings and energy of each movement. I always love Najarro's choreography, i.e., the Carmen Short Dance he did for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin is such a genius masterpiece. I went for FaOI show in 2010, simply because Najarro was the choreographer for the show that year and it was there when I saw Yuzu's skating live for the 1st time, who was 15-year old.

Some dance lessons with a great dancer will never hurt any skater so I hope your secret wish does come true!
:eek:topic:I get the sense that Najarro and Elena have great rapport. BTW Elena is so beautiful in that program:luv17: She really has great presence.

I doubt he took any rest after the minor operation, he attended the plague ceremony in the afternoon of the same day when his surgery took place in the morning :unsure:

I hope he takes good care of himself...

I’m afraid that’s the one aspect of that program I didn’t like. I think any man looks way better clean-shaven than with any kind of facial hair. I really hope he doesn't bother with this again this year and just appear as his normal self.

Haha can I shake your hand? I knew I could not be the only one who preferred Javi clean shaven:laugh: Although I guess the goatee did help create some contrast between Javi's image in SP and in FS this past season.

I’m so glad he’ll be making some changes in Malaguena. I mean I liked the original one very much, but since he’s keeping it for another season, I think it would be better if it weren’t exactly the same program as in the past season. I generally am not in favor of skaters keeping their programs for the following year, even in case of masterpieces, because skaters usually have only a few years to skate at their peak, and I’d rather they had created more programs rather than fewer during this time to leave behind as their legacy. I also think that it makes the sport more interesting when everybody has new programs each year, and that it’s fairer to those skaters who do create two brand-new programs each year. But if Javier has decided to keep his SP, at least making some changes will make it more challenging for him and more interesting for the viewers, and it’s great that it’s the original creator of the program who’ll be doing it.

In general I do prefer skaters having new programs every season, too. I honestly did not expect Javi to keep one of his programs. The last time he did this was when he kept his drunken pirate program for another year. With Malaguena, though, the selfish side of me is happy with their decision to keep it for another year. Javi never skated it clean this past season. It is a really good program and I'd really want to see a clean, excellently executed version of it at at least one competition.
Besides changing the choreography, they are probably also changing the costume, although I have no idea what the new costume would be like:scratch2:

evergreen

On the Ice
Danny is one of the main characters in Grease. A boy who sometimes tries too hard to be cool.
I love the Guys and Dolls program, too:luv17:. I think the placements of lyrics in both Javi's SP and his FS this past season worked really well.

Many thanks:luv17:, I watched the movie once many years ago and can hardly recall any names of the characters :noshake:

:eek:topic:I get the sense that Najarro and Elena have great rapport. BTW Elena is so beautiful in that program:luv17: She really has great presence.

:eek:topic: Elena is such a beauty and still looked pretty in those shabby costumes she wore in the SL & the Ghost free skate;

I hope he takes good care of himself...

He will, he is home now, so his mom, his sister, who is a nurse, and Miki will all keep an eye on him, plus, as Brian said, Javi enjoys attentions :laugh:

In general I do prefer skaters having new programs every season, too. I honestly did not expect Javi to keep one of his programs. The last time he did this was when he kept his drunken pirate program for another year. With Malaguena, though, the selfish side of me is happy with their decision to keep it for another year. Javi never skated it clean this past season. It is a really good program and I'd really want to see a clean, excellently executed version of it at at least one competition.
Besides changing the choreography, they are probably also changing the costume, although I have no idea what the new costume would be like:scratch2:

IIRC, this is the first time that Javi keeps his short program for one more season, and I agree that the program still has a lot of potential and I am never tired of watching Javi's Malaguena, looking forward to the new costume and the new version of his flamenco dance.

As to the costume, Najarro designed the SD (14-15 season) costumes for Sarah & Andria and had them made in Madrid, would he also be involved in the designing of Javi's new Malaguena costume?

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
As to the costume, Najarro designed the SD (14-15 season) costumes for Sarah & Andria and had them made in Madrid, would he also be involved in the designing of Javi's new Malaguena costume?

Sara and Adri had interesting programs that season and the season before... The thought of them potentially competing against each other in the future for Worlds spot, etc. still makes me a little sad.

No matter who is in charge of Javi's new costume for Malaguena, I think he is in good hands. The program is also pretty far away from the kind of programs where crazy and horrible costumes may happen. ;)

Spiral

Final Flight
I have come across some pics from the Worlds closing banquet that were new to me.

Javier making a speech:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2325.jpg
Chatting with Yuzuru Hanyu:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2369.jpg
Another pic of them:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2374.jpg
Shoma Uno joins them:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2371.jpg
Javier chatting with Shoma:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2376.jpg

ht tp://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2325. jpg
ht tp://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2369. jpg
ht tp://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2374. jpg
ht tp://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2371. jpg
ht tp://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2376. jpg

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
[QUOTE
Javier chatting with Shoma:
http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos/2016Worlds/banquet/jsfb_dave2376.jpg

Oh how I would love to hear that conversation! What language would they speak? Spanglish? Spanglipanese?

:laugh2:

Well, Yuzu seems to be behind Javi so perhaps he helped them out if there were any linguistics shortcomings :laugh: I don't know how fluent Shoma is in English, though. But still, Javi is so warm to everyone, I guess that makes everything easier. I remember that pic of him hugging Shoma at JO, and how he had wanted to talk to him after that tough FS at Worlds, that was sweet of him. :yes: