Javier Fernandez | Page 162 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

liv

Record Breaker
They just had an interview on CBC with Brian and he says he treats them all the same and is confident he prepared them well. He said he was the youngest of 5 kids and his parents loved them all equally, so I think that is how he feels about these guys.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Tracy has been persuading Javi to practice 4lo but he hesitated, I think this time maybe he finally will think about it seriously.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I read from various articles that he did hear the scores from the other skaters and it made him uncertain, specially Yuzuru's. He said he usually goes into the ice feeling "like he wants to eat the world" and now he wasn't quite sure about what he was supposed to do. But that he is confident he'll be back on track next season. He is not too bummed about losing the World Title, and for him it really doesn't matter being second or fourth, what was important was winning.
I, for one, I'm glad is nothing injury-related. Second, good to hear he is not beating himself too badly for it, you'll be back next season Javi :yes:

I'm certain he will be at the the Gala, but I was wondering if you think he will get invited again to the one at WTT. Two years ago, Denis and him attended the Gala and even performed twice.

liv

Record Breaker
CBC did a little interview and he said that the noise bothered him. Usually , he said, they are farther away and cannot hear everything but this was different. He could hear everything going on, he knew yuzu skated really well and was wondering what he had to do now and he started questioning himself. Yup, definitely things got to him. All things to learn from for the big show in 2018.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Say it again, the sportsmanship between Javi and Yuzuru is wonderful -- https://twitter.com/LaLiga4Sports/status/848173716160819201

The second tweet links to a brief (1m43s) interview in which Javi explains what he thinks went wrong in his free skate. Here is a translation for those who don't speak Spanish. By the way, I never translate word-for-word; instead, I try to translate what Javi said to how a native English speaker would express the same thoughts. And no, I'm not a professional translator, or anywhere near :laugh:

"Well, a little bit of everything. I think the problem, one of the problems we had was the schedule we had in the competition, which was a bit different from what we're normally used to. And the biggest problem, I think, was that being the last to skate in the group, I had 45 minutes from the time the warm-up ended. And for those 45 minutes, I was listening to all the scores, if they skated well, if they skated bad. More than anything, I said that the scores were what affected me most because knowing that my biggest rival Yuzuru Hanyu got one of the highest scores, the highest score ever, I think affected me when it was time to skate. I'm fine, I'm ... OK, even though the truth is that even though we didn't get the score, the result that we wanted, honestly I'm fine, I'm proud, I'm happy that at least despite placing fourth we know that I can do a lot better, that we can stay strong for the next season, the Olympic season, and all we have to do is fix the little problems we had in this competition so that we don't make the same mistakes again."

rosacotton

Final Flight
The second tweet links to a brief (1m43s) interview in which Javi explains what he thinks went wrong in his free skate. Here is a translation for those who don't speak Spanish. By the way, I never translate word-for-word; instead, I try to translate what Javi said to how a native English speaker would express the same thoughts. And no, I'm not a professional translator, or anywhere near :laugh:

Thank you so much for the translation!

I am relieved Javi seems not to be devastated with his performance. This was a new experience for him: winning the short, then skating last and remaining mentally focused. I don't believe he is by no means out of it for next season; that brilliant Malagueña proved it.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the translation!

I am relieved Javi seems not to be devastated with his performance. This was a new experience for him: winning the short, then skating last and remaining mentally focused. I don't believe he is by no means out of it for next season; that brilliant Malagueña proved it.

I'm relieved too. Then again, I wouldn't expect him to be devastated. He wasn't devastated after missing out on Olympic bronze in 2014 due to a Zayak violation. Instead, the loss drove him to work that much harder and probably was a contributing factor to his two world championships. I don't think I can bear to watch his Helsinki free skate ever again, even though I loved some parts of it. But I will watch his Helsinki Malagueña over and over and over again. That performance is an inspiration!

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I would've loved to see a Yuzu-Javi podium this year but didn't happen. However, that was a great effort by Javier and as I've said in another thread he was magnanimous in defeat :clap: . Hopefully at the 2018 Olympics, Javi and Yuzu can stand together on the podium again. :hap10:

reneerose

Final Flight

"Well, a little bit of everything. I think the problem, one of the problems we had was the schedule we had in the competition, which was a bit different from what we're normally used to. And the biggest problem, I think, was that being the last to skate in the group, I had 45 minutes from the time the warm-up ended. And for those 45 minutes, I was listening to all the scores, if they skated well, if they skated bad. More than anything, I said that the scores were what affected me most because knowing that my biggest rival Yuzuru Hanyu got one of the highest scores, the highest score ever, I think affected me when it was time to skate. I'm fine, I'm ... OK, even though the truth is that even though we didn't get the score, the result that we wanted, honestly I'm fine, I'm proud, I'm happy that at least despite placing fourth we know that I can do a lot better, that we can stay strong for the next season, the Olympic season, and all we have to do is fix the little problems we had in this competition so that we don't make the same mistakes again."
Part of me thinks they should have a soundproof media free small room rink in the back of the main rink where people can warm up while they wait to skate. If they have a lounge for before the skate, why don't they have a soundproof room in the back. Serious. Poor Javi. I wanted him to have the title again so much!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Part of me thinks they should have a soundproof media free small room rink in the back of the main rink where people can warm up while they wait to skate. If they have a lounge for before the skate, why don't they have a soundproof room in the back. Serious. Poor Javi. I wanted him to have the title again so much!

Maybe he should have used earplugs and listened to his music (the sound did not disturb him in sp?). Anyway, great to hear that he is not devastated. I did not expect Javi to win this competition, because there was always the danger that some of the other guys with higher technical content were able to skate almost cleanly.... And starting already at the end of last summer I was worrying about all his commitments, way too many distractions for him to become really competitive at Worlds. It is of course understandable that for a two-time World champion there was much going on, but hopefully now things are the opposite.

I have no doubts that an Olympic medal is a possibility for Javi, but for that he needs to have the right approach to the coming season. He has excellent coaches Brian and Tracy, he only will need to really listen to them, LOL. And to add to his technical content.

Next season Javi needs to be almost ready at GPF and at Europeans he can have only some tiny glitch.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I think this season was a real learning experience for javi. A 2nd world title increased the demands on him, as well as opportunities, and while that was fine for the most part, it probably impacted him more than anyone realized. I think this next season will be different and he will be really prepared and focused for the Olympics.

That being said, do we know what tours he will be on this spring and summer?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I think this season was a real learning experience for javi. A 2nd world title increased the demands on him, as well as opportunities, and while that was fine for the most part, it probably impacted him more than anyone realized. I think this next season will be different and he will be really prepared and focused for the Olympics.

That being said, do we know what tours he will be on this spring and summer?

He is confirmed for FaOI but idk about others.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Javi not winning means less interest from Spanish media. So he should be less busy at home and get more rest, real rest. He's not competing at WTT, so for him the competetive season already ended. He can relax and work on Olympic programs. Or get holiday. Anyway, I think he'll probably use time in the off season more effectively than last year, when he was very busy with all different commitments.

Last edited:

tureis

On the Ice
So then the free skating happened... After that utterly brilliant SP I was hoping that regardless of what the others deliver he would be able to hang on to silver at least, but it wasn't meant to be. Yuzu's skate was out of this world in its precision, and actually a rather scary experience with the deafening roars of all the Japanese fans. I was in Barcelona but that was nothing compared to this in such an enormous arena. I had an uneasy feeling through the rest of the skates that this could not end well. It didn't. Javi didn't have that air of confidence about him that he did in the SP, and I was actually suprised he pulled off a perfect 4T at the start. Then it went all downhill after the fall on the 4S. He did that right in front of my sector so I had full view of how it went off axis midway through. By the time he set up for the F-Lo-S combo, he was visibly lacking speed. With the shock of the performance I didn't fully realize how many points he left out there, so it was terrible to see his scores and realizing he wouldn't stay ahead of Boyang either. Eppen and I spent the first half of the ice dance free talking in the foyer. I guess neither of us were really up to just moving on immediately after this.

It's such a shame that they didn't think about the noise issue in this arena and how that could potentially have an effect. I would have thought that to be obvious by the 4th day of competition. Maybe no one realized Javi would be prone to panicking when more exposed to competition noise than usual. Based on his short it looked like he was perfectly trained for this competition, despite the rollercoaster season. Maybe he would have skated the same regardless, or maybe he would have held it together. Doesn't really matter of course now. I am glad Javi doesn't seem to be devastated. At least he can close the book on this season and build from that mindblowing SP, and learn the lessons from the FS and the first time he was actually in the lead instead of being the one who has to chase, and imploding.

The big question is of course what path they choose. Their strategy of going clean with less clearly could have worked this time against the 4+ quad guys and all the mistakes, had Javi been able to hold it together and deliver something even remotely resembling his Boston FS, even against Yuzu's WR. Also, I don't think we'll see a 6 quad FS next season at all. I don't know what to think about 5 quads though, so I'm completely in two minds about Javi continuing down the current road or trying to add that 4Lo to be on par with Yuzu's current FS BV. I definitely wouldn't consider adding it to his SP at all.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I would've loved to see a Yuzu-Javi podium this year but didn't happen. However, that was a great effort by Javier and as I've said in another thread he was magnanimous in defeat :clap: . Hopefully at the 2018 Olympics, Javi and Yuzu can stand together on the podium again. :hap10:

Honestly, this is my biggest disappointment coming out of Worlds regarding the men: no Javi and Yuzuru sharing the podium. It feels so wrong to me. :(

Plumededragon

Medalist
Honestly, this is my biggest disappointment coming out of Worlds regarding the men: no Javi and Yuzuru sharing the podium. It feels so wrong to me. :(
That result also mean that Yuzu and Javi have a chance of being in the same GP event next season. Last time was Cup of Russia in 2011... dang that was a long time ago and they didn't even have the same coach yet. :laugh:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
That result also mean that Yuzu and Javi have a chance of being in the same GP event next season. Last time was Cup of Russia in 2011... dang that was a long time ago and they didn't even have the same coach yet. :laugh:

they were both at NHK 2012 too :biggrin: he didnt medal there though
its been too long since i post at Javi's thread, thank you everyone for your contributions !! :thank: i feel like i have been bad owner of OP :slink: i will update 1st post soon so if there are anything you want to see please let me know :agree:

regarding worlds, its a shame he did costly mistakes but we still have his amazing SP (finally clean after 2 seasons!) , and seems like he isnt too upset or depressed about it, its the Javi we know, i am sure he will come back stronger :hap85:

Last edited:

Plumededragon

Medalist
they were both at NHK 2012 too :biggrin: he didnt medal there though
its been too long since i post at Javi's thread, thank you everyone for your contributions !! :thank: i feel like i have been bad owner of OP :slink: i will update 1st post soon so if there are anything you want to see please let me know :agree:

regarding worlds, its a shame he did costly mistakes but we still have his amazing SP (finally clean after 2 seasons!) , and seems like he isnt too upset or depressed about it, its the Javi we know, i am sure he will come back stronger :hap85:
Oh yes, that's right, thanks for correcting, lol! :laugh: I think even before he skated his FS he knew that it was not gonna go well, he wasn't relaxed at all when skating.
But, well, such things happen. Severe foot injury for Yuzu last year, nerves for Javi this year... lot of factors can easily make one loosing gold after a bright start. Yuzu learned from it last year, I don't see how Javi won't learn from this as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Now it feels kind of empty as the important ISU competitions are over in this season and one starts to wonder about the Olympic season: What GP events Javi might have and what will be his music and what kind of choreography....?