Javier Fernandez | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
She is the lady at the top left hand corner at 1:33min (wearing the black winter jacket)

Still say she looks great for having a 20 year old son. I would have likely put her in early 30s max. It helps that she looks like she is wearing something cute rather than mom jeans.

firal

Record Breaker
I know this is OT but who is the Asian lady sitting between Madison and Zach in that video?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. Javier's story is as inspiring as it is improbable (world FS champion from Spain from a middle class family). But more than anything, what stands out for me is the kindness of his heart.

i agree, the more i watch videos of him at press conferences the more i adore him, you can see he is really sincere, he doesnt play to the cameras :clap:

sonora

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing. Javier's story is as inspiring as it is improbable (world FS champion from Spain from a middle class family). But more than anything, what stands out for me is the kindness of his heart.

From the story , Javi is "who forgot to reply when Rafael Nadal congratulated him on Twitter" :laugh:

And I complete agree with you - more than anything, what stands out for me is the kindness of his heart. Now I am officially a Javi fan.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Here's the interview:

C1: Do we have the champion already?
C2: We have him, Javier Fernandez is in Tokyo, waiting to talk to us via FaceTime
C1: Hello Javier, good evening, well here. Good evening from here.
J: Good Evening
C1: For you it’s not good evening, Javier, don’t lie.
J: (laughs) Well, Good morning over here.
C1: What time is it over there, Javi?
J: It’s 9 am
C1: 9 am, wow, did you wake up to be with us, Javi?
J: Yeah, I set up my alarm though I didn’t wake up with it, I woke up 10 minutes later. And yeah I woke up to be with you today.
C1: Are you drinking a coffee over there?
J: I took it just a while ago.
C1: Very well. Hey Congratulations Javier, congratulations.
J: Thank you very much.
C1: Because it was a performance...well let’s take a look at your performance that was very exciting. You put technique and your heart into your performances. And Javier transmits this, you pour your soul into this and that’s the key to success. There it is
(FS performance video)
C1: And you got a standing ovation, Javier.
J: Yeah (seemed kind of shy)
C1: It was your dream performance, the dream-like moment wasn’t it?
J: Yes, it was a very special moment, we have been working very hard to get such good programs and that’s how it happened. We’re very proud, looking forward to resume working and competing again. What happened at that competition was something we didn’t expect, but the people enjoyed it a lot and so did we.
C1: Do you still get excited when you think back at that moment?
J: Yeah, and I’ve already seen the videos of my competition a couple of times but I still get nervous when I watch them.
C1: Why? Do you think you can fail in the video? (laughs)
J: No, no. I’m a bit moved by that and everything I’ve gone through; and when I watch the video, is like I’m doing everything all over again at that very moment.
C1: Have you had a hard time?
J: Well yeah. You do have a hard time controlling your nerves at the competitions. You have a really hard time, but it’s what we train for, we’re there everyday preparing for those moments, for going to the competition, performing your programs and try to get the best result possible. But there are some moments when you have a really really bad time.
C1: Because it has been a hard task, leaving Spain behind, moving to Canada. In Spain you can’t train, you can’t get that level to win a World Championship, Javier?
J: I think we still have a lot of work to do in terms of this sport; we still need a lot of help and years to improve this sport in our country. I’ve been asked many times if I would go back to Spain to train and I’ve said that, unfortunately, I wouldn’t. I have to keep training where I am right now, I have a lot more facilities. And in the future, I want to be a coach for this sport, and I’ll try that people like me, skaters in the future, don’t have to move out of Spain. We’ll work hard for Spain to have enough facilities for high-level skaters.
C1: Let’s look at the moment of the anthem.
(Medal ceremony video)
C1: That’s where success takes you. Also the moment when you claim the title (meaning when his scores showed up aka his laugh XD).
J: Yeah, I couldn’t believe it.
C1: What were you laughing about? What it a laugh of joy, fear, surprise? What was all of that?
J: (laughs) I don’t know, I have no idea. I have no clue. The asked me backstage “Have you heard the sounds you were making?” And I couldn’t remember that at all, and when I saw it I thought “I can’t believe I did that in front of the whole world and all the broadcasters”.
C1: The champion’s smile, huh? Lorena (the other interviewer), what else do you want to tell him?
C2: Well, that he also comes from a town that has produced a lot of champions. Tell us, Javier, what’s the name of your town?
J: Navalacruz
C2: The same as Iker Casillas.
C1: And he congratulated you through a tweet, and who else? Gasol?
C2: Pau Gasol (he’s a Spanish NBA player)
C1: There’s Iker Casillas’ tweet saying “Speechless for Javier Fernandez for that gold at Worlds, congratulations!”. And Pau Gasol.
J: Yeah and Pau Gasol, he tweeted me. Very important tweets from these people who have been my idols for a long time. And now they remember and keep watching me, keep following me every now and then when an important competition is close. I also got another tweet from our Badminton girl, Carolina Marin. It was special for me because we went to school together, to the sports school (not sure what he means by that) and we were in the same class, so it was special for me.
C3: I want to ask him, he see the triumphs and the spectacular performance, but I want him to tell us about his day of training. I imagine that you must train, at least, 6 days a week, so how is it?
C1: How many hours?
J: I have 2-3 daily trainings of 1 hour each, on the ice; and I do cardio 3 times a week. It’s not a sport that takes so many hours of your day, there are other sports in which you have to invest a lot more hours, but our trainings are, so to say, more packed. From the moment we step on the ice, we train an hour, but we don’t stop, we then take a break and return to the ice to start over. So yeah, it’s not that many hours, but the training is focused on doing it non-stop.
C1: When are you coming back to Spain? When will we see you around?
J: Not long, I’d say in 20 days, I’ll be there around April 21st or 22nd.
C1: I assume there will be a reception of some sort, what have you planned so that we can celebrate your success at Spain?
J: Well it’s a bit hard, because we have to plan it, and people may be busy. And I also try to give myself some time to rest and for vacation, but well I may still be very busy when I go to Spain. (no idea, if that means yes or no XD)
C1: Congratulations Javier, Congratulations for raising Spain’s name. And hopefully it will help figure skating grow in Spain, as you said, hopefully there will be someone to teach and places for the younger to work, people like you.

This was interesting, first interview I see this year where Javi doesn't get asked about Yuzuru XD it was nice for a change. Again he mentions how he wants to be a coach after he retires (not looking forward to that day at all :hopelessness:), but I'd like to see how he pushes skating in Spain, later on as coach. It was interesting to hear about how many hours he trains and what he does weekly (recipe for success!). Oh and sorry for the typos and if some parts were unclear.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Here's the interview:

C1: Do we have the champion already?
C2: We have him, Javier Fernandez is in Tokyo, waiting to talk to us via FaceTime
C1: Hello Javier, good evening, well here. Good evening from here.
J: Good Evening
C1: For you it’s not good evening, Javier, don’t lie.
J: (laughs) Well, Good morning over here.
C1: What time is it over there, Javi?
J: It’s 9 am
C1: 9 am, wow, did you wake up to be with us, Javi?
J: Yeah, I set up my alarm though I didn’t wake up with it, I woke up 10 minutes later. And yeah I woke up to be with you today.
C1: Are you drinking a coffee over there?
J: I took it just a while ago.
C1: Very well. Hey Congratulations Javier, congratulations.
J: Thank you very much.
C1: Because it was a performance...well let’s take a look at your performance that was very exciting. You put technique and your heart into your performances. And Javier transmits this, you pour your soul into this and that’s the key to success. There it is
(FS performance video)
C1: And you got a standing ovation, Javier.
J: Yeah (seemed kind of shy)
C1: It was your dream performance, the dream-like moment wasn’t it?
J: Yes, it was a very special moment, we have been working very hard to get such good programs and that’s how it happened. We’re very proud, looking forward to resume working and competing again. What happened at that competition was something we didn’t expect, but the people enjoyed it a lot and so did we.
C1: Do you still get excited when you think back at that moment?
J: Yeah, and I’ve already seen the videos of my competition a couple of times but I still get nervous when I watch them.
C1: Why? Do you think you can fail in the video? (laughs)
J: No, no. I’m a bit moved by that and everything I’ve gone through; and when I watch the video, is like I’m doing everything all over again at that very moment.
C1: Have you had a hard time?
J: Well yeah. You do have a hard time controlling your nerves at the competitions. You have a really hard time, but it’s what we train for, we’re there everyday preparing for those moments, for going to the competition, performing your programs and try to get the best result possible. But there are some moments when you have a really really bad time.
C1: Because it has been a hard task, leaving Spain behind, moving to Canada. In Spain you can’t train, you can’t get that level to win a World Championship, Javier?
J: I think we still have a lot of work to do in terms of this sport; we still need a lot of help and years to improve this sport in our country. I’ve been asked many times if I would go back to Spain to train and I’ve said that, unfortunately, I wouldn’t. I have to keep training where I am right now, I have a lot more facilities. And in the future, I want to be a coach for this sport, and I’ll try that people like me, skaters in the future, don’t have to move out of Spain. We’ll work hard for Spain to have enough facilities for high-level skaters.
C1: Let’s look at the moment of the anthem.
(Medal ceremony video)
C1: That’s where success takes you. Also the moment when you claim the title (meaning when his scores showed up aka his laugh XD).
J: Yeah, I couldn’t believe it.
C1: What were you laughing about? What it a laugh of joy, fear, surprise? What was all of that?
J: (laughs) I don’t know, I have no idea. I have no clue. The asked me backstage “Have you heard the sounds you were making?” And I couldn’t remember that at all, and when I saw it I thought “I can’t believe I did that in front of the whole world and all the broadcasters”.
C1: The champion’s smile, huh? Lorena (the other interviewer), what else do you want to tell him?
C2: Well, that he also comes from a town that has produced a lot of champions. Tell us, Javier, what’s the name of your town?
J: Navalacruz
C2: The same as Iker Casillas.
C1: And he congratulated you through a tweet, and who else? Gasol?
C2: Pau Gasol (he’s a Spanish NBA player)
C1: There’s Iker Casillas’ tweet saying “Speechless for Javier Fernandez for that gold at Worlds, congratulations!”. And Pau Gasol.
J: Yeah and Pau Gasol, he tweeted me. Very important tweets from these people who have been my idols for a long time. And now they remember and keep watching me, keep following me every now and then when an important competition is close. I also got another tweet from our Badminton girl, Carolina Marin. It was special for me because we went to school together, to the sports school (not sure what he means by that) and we were in the same class, so it was special for me.
C3: I want to ask him, he see the triumphs and the spectacular performance, but I want him to tell us about his day of training. I imagine that you must train, at least, 6 days a week, so how is it?
C1: How many hours?
J: I have 2-3 daily trainings of 1 hour each, on the ice; and I do cardio 3 times a week. It’s not a sport that takes so many hours of your day, there are other sports in which you have to invest a lot more hours, but our trainings are, so to say, more packed. From the moment we step on the ice, we train an hour, but we don’t stop, we then take a break and return to the ice to start over. So yeah, it’s not that many hours, but the training is focused on doing it non-stop.
C1: When are you coming back to Spain? When will we see you around?
J: Not long, I’d say in 20 days, I’ll be there around April 21st or 22nd.
C1: I assume there will be a reception of some sort, what have you planned so that we can celebrate your success at Spain?
J: Well it’s a bit hard, because we have to plan it, and people may be busy. And I also try to give myself some time to rest and for vacation, but well I may still be very busy when I go to Spain. (no idea, if that means yes or no XD)
C1: Congratulations Javier, Congratulations for raising Spain’s name. And hopefully it will help figure skating grow in Spain, as you said, hopefully there will be someone to teach and places for the younger to work, people like you.

This was interesting, first interview I see this year where Javi doesn't get asked about Yuzuru XD Again he mentions how he wants to be a coach after he retires (not looking forward to that day at all :hopelessness:), but I'd like to see how he pushes skating in Spain, later on as coach. It was interesting to hear about how many hours he trains and what he does weekly (recipe for success!). Oh and sorry for the typos and if some parts were unclear.

Excellent! Thank you. I'm sure, though Javi puts a good face on it, that he doesn't want to be asked about Yuzu EVERY time. So this is a nice change. What a great guy.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
xibsuarz - your translations are amazing! Thank you!

I died when they kept playing the "goat noises" on repeat. :rofl:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks a lot once again :rock: its great interview and as much as i love yuzu i am glad they didnt ask him about yuzu cause javier was the man this time :laugh: i just love watching him at interviews, he is just so funny and sincere ,also great to see other athletes from spain supports him

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
here is CCTV interview with brian orser about his students (thanks meoima for link :) ) posted on yuzuru thread but since some dont like to go there wanted to share it here as well, its great interview, lol at Javş's spanish way, poor brian has to pick him up from home sometimes because he would still be sleeping instead of going to pracitce :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Our two World Champions - Javi & Liza - from years back:

Mishin Camps@MishinCamps · 5 timför 5 timmar sedan
Mishin Camps in Jaca (2011): Liza and Javier (2015 World champions)! Photo credit to Ilusiones Sobre Hielo http://fb.me/7lSfOtjsZ

Khoai

Match Penalty
Good job Javi, I still remember his first World. He has been through a lot. Congratulation and stay strong.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Our two World Champions - Javi & Liza - from years back:

Mishin Camps@MishinCamps · 5 timför 5 timmar sedan
Mishin Camps in Jaca (2011): Liza and Javier (2015 World champions)! Photo credit to Ilusiones Sobre Hielo http://fb.me/7lSfOtjsZ

What a nice picture! Javi really has something that makes everyone get along with him ^^