Javier Fernandez | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Another new interview with Javi:

http://actualidad.rt.com/programas/entrevista/178852-entrevista-javier-fernandez-patinador-espanol

It's a half hour long and in Spanish, so I haven't attempted to watch it yet...

Thank you so much for posting the interview!

There are many things he’s said on previous interviews: how he felt when he won Worlds, the difficulties that skating faces in Spain, he explains a bit about the quad jump. He talks about how he started skating following his sister, how he ignored the stereotypes, about Morozov discovering him and leaving Spain at 17 on his own. How he parted ways with him and started training with Brian and how he developed a father-son-like relationship with him. He talked about his every-day routine, the costs (and how they’ve been reduced w/ sponsors), the process of preparing a program. His plans to compete in 2018 and getting a medal and how he wants to train later on.

But there are some new things as well (or at least that I haven’t heard before): he said it’s an honor to be considered a pioneer in skating for Spain but he hopes that more Spanish skaters can compete and achieve even more than what he’s done. He said that the jumps have always been one of his strengths since he was young and that having 3 quads in his FS it’s something big since only 2 other skaters do it (I guess it’s Maxim and Yuzuru?). They don’t get dizzy with the quads but it can happen with the spins :biggrin: and that changing from 2 to 4 revolutions is not that much of a radical change (what?!). That he used to joke about how he was smarter than his friends or the guys from hockey because he was in a sport where he was surrounded by girls :laugh2: . He said that the only way that he can pay his parents back for all the sacrifices they’ve made is by doing well at the competitions.

He also said that the most important thing he took with him when he was with Morozov was the will to train, compete and improve constantly (and that Morozov didn’t ask for too much money since he knew Javier’s family wasn’t that well economically). He talked about the time he spent in Russia at a high-level facility, that he could spend 4 months without leaving the building because of the harsh winter. He said he doesn’t get nervous because of the placements, but because he wants to have a good performance that people can enjoy.

She asked Javier what was it like to be known in countries where FS is bigger (she said Russia) when that doesn’t happen in Spain. He said that he’s someone who really likes to interact closely with his fans and he tries to meet them when he goes to Russia, kind of like a dinner with friends. He said he thinks his closest rivals are Yuzuru and Denis. He’s talked about Yuzu’s strengths many times but he also said Denis is very talented, slightly less consistent than Yuzuru but it’s very hard to beat him when he skates clean. He said that he could also count Plushenko in there because he’s a legend and that even though skating has changed he has adapted to it.

He’s said he’s competed sick and injured but he doesn’t have a chronic injury that could make it unable for him to skate. But he is afraid of a serious injury, but it’s something athletes have to live with.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
xibsuarz, you are amazing! :bow:

That is interesting that Javi credits Morozov with "discovering" him and that Morozov gave him a bit of a financial break. He tends to get a bad rap, and perhaps deservedly so for some things...but I think he does have his good qualities too. Well, people are complicated. And I don't think Javi would ever say a bad word about anyone.

Jenny and Dave talk a little bit about the Miki/Javi interview at the end of this video. I can't wait. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/OA8O_0WPreE?t=1107

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks so much xibsuarz for (again) translating for us. Wondering that Javier didn't mention Patrick as among his top competition when he did Evgeny who is also planning a comeback in this coming season. It may be oversight. And I agree with gallavich that Javier doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone nor a mean bone in his body. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
xibsuarz, you are amazing! :bow:

That is interesting that Javi credits Morozov with "discovering" him and that Morozov gave him a bit of a financial break. He tends to get a bad rap, and perhaps deservedly so for some things...but I think he does have his good qualities too. Well, people are complicated. And I don't think Javi would ever say a bad word about anyone.

Jenny and Dave talk a little bit about the Miki/Javi interview at the end of this video. I can't wait. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/OA8O_0WPreE?t=1107

Thanks so much xibsuarz for (again) translating for us. It is striking for me that Javier didn't mention Patrick as among his top competition when he did Evgeny who is also planning a comeback in this coming season. And I agree with gallavich that Javier doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone nor a mean bone in his body. :thumbsup:

As always, it's my pleasure to be able to share some of Javi's thoughts with everyone here, he's a great, sweet guy. I'm on break until August so I took the chance to translate a bit of it.
Yeah, with the rep Morozov carries, I didn't think he would do something that thoughtful, guess he saw some true potential in Javi. I was surprised as well that he didn't mention Patrick, maybe he didn't want the answer to be very long? Or maybe it just escaped his mind at that moment :confused2:
The things Jenny and Dave quickly mentioned in that video about Miki & Javi are making me even more excited to watch it, hopefully they'll upload it soon :agree:

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, it seems that he was talking about Russia just a little before mentioning his rivals, so maybe that brought Plushy more naturally to mind. Also, he's doing shows with him this summer, which again would be a reason why he'd come to think of him.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
They are both so funny and natural, and cute and I'm running out of compliments for them.
I hope they both have a great vacation together.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It was a great interview, they teased each other so much, it was a lot of fun and they seem so happy together :)
So now we know a bit about Javi's programs (or should I say soon-to-be programs? :laugh: ) He'll use a Spanish theme for his SP and that's amazing, IMO. There are many different Spanish songs with great styles that he can work with, I'm really looking forward to that. And if he's working with a Spanish choreographer, it means he'll have the chance to work on the program while he's in Spain during August. I do wonder what David will suggest for him for the FS, it would be great for him to use two different styles for the programs and show his versatility like last season.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
The interview with TSL featuring Javi and Miki is here. (Posting before I have a chance to watch it.) ;)

Thank you for the link. I was amused when early on Dave "revealed" Jenny's crush on Javier.

Anyway, what stood out for me besides their obvious love and rapport is how strong-minded in their respective ways Miki and Javier can be. Re Miki, I can only imagine the strength it took for her to stick to her decision to move out of Japan for both reasons of the heart and her skating career in face of strong opposition from her family (her mother was crying) and friends. For Javier, while there was no such opposition to a similar decision to train in the US, it must have taken courage to take such a step at only 17.

I want Javier to smolder in his Spanish themed SP. Gave a squeal when I learned Antonio Najarro will help Javier out there as I was impressed with his work with Ruslena. I can just imagine how the Spanish audience will react if and when Javier performs there at GPF. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I just hope he will not do another comedic program for the FS. We know he does them better than just about anyone, but it's time for a new challenge, I think. He can still have all the fun he wants in his exhibitions, but I would like to see something more dramatic for a change. Or maybe something else in the rock vein, as long as it's not too similar to Black Betty. I'm really excited for the SP with Najarro - should be a great collaboration.

Loved the interview, and it filled in some of the blanks as far as the whole Miki/Nikolai situation. I don't really care for Dave Lease, but some of his expressions were cracking me up. :laugh: I hope things work out for Javi/Miki for the long haul. The fact that they've known each other so long, and through so many separations and difficult times already, bodes well for them, I think.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thnks! i think they shouldnt have focused on his face when he was spinning though :biggrin:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Javi on a Joma commercial (sportswear brand I assume?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYf0v-3Ld8

He's looking good, but I'm not sure about the Morozov-era looking costume :think:

Thanks mikaboo! I like the commercial and found it interesting that besides Javier, it featured two kick *** female compatriots of his in water polo and weightlifting. That's a thumbs up for me.

Yes, I'm also not sure about that costume so I ehrm focused on his face. :biggrin:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Hieloespanol ‏@Hieloespanol 49m49 minutes ago
@javierfernandez entre los nominados a los Premios Nacionales del Deporte que se fallan el próximo viernes

Vamos Javi!

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
@javierfernandez entre los nominados a los Premios Nacionales del Deporte que se fallan el próximo viernes

Vamos Javi!

Si, este momento es muy bien para el futuro de patinar en Espana! :cheer:

(Well, how'd I do with four years of Spanish?)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

You did very well! :agree: Just, in this case, instead of using "bien" you use "bueno". But that one is hard to get, I don't even know how to explain the rules of when to use each :p And instead of using "patinar" which is the verb, you use the noun which is "patinaje". But the sentence was perfectly understandable.

And someone seems to be very proud of her boyfriend :love:

She even used the last one as her profile picture!

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Vamos Javi!

All the best Javier! :cheer:

Much better than I would with 16 units of Spanish. :) Wondering how things would have been if Spanish was retained as an official language and as a required language course in my country...

And someone seems to be very proud of her boyfriend :love:

She even used the last one as her profile picture!

Very proud and very much in love. :yes: Thanks for sharing.