Javier Fernandez | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Would someone be willing to translate what the Russian and Spanish commentators said during Javier's free skate please? :)

Spanish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOUi32QlaS4

Attention! Here comes Javier Fernandez who will attempt to defend the title he won last year. He's the World champion, four time European champion; he's already demonstrated how good he is, at how high of a level he's at, and what improvements he's made.

He's calm as he starts his program. Good luck Javier. He has 3 quads planned.

Magnificent quad toe.

Listen, he has the audience in his pocket (idiom in English would be 'he has the audience in the palm of his hands').

Good. My god! 4S+3T. Fantastic air position!

3A+2T. Textbook.

He looks calm, he looks good.

And here he goes into another 4S.

Do it... ole!

Popped up into the 3S. Yes! Yessir! Keep it going.

3A. Good!

"Tonight". The commentator was singing along. :)

He's happy!

Listen to the audience.

He's done everything! What a program. Keep it going! Keep it going! Look at the TES score.

Bravo, bravo Javier! Look! Look! Look! Look at the audience! Look at the audience on it's feet!

Yessir! Yessir! Yessir, Javier!

What a program you have done! What a program!

117.76 points. He can make up the 12 points (behind Hanyu). Yes yes yes!

His coaches don't believe it. Interpretation is a 10! We must photograph this moment!

Javier Fernandez! Fantastic!

My god. What else can I say? And he's defending his title.

What a program! Bravo Javier! Why aren't you more excited (to his co-host, lulz)? I'm losing it!

I think this is the first clean program we've seen all night.

He tackled this program. What a gem!

Look, 2 perfect 10s. Another photographic moment! The choreography.

Stunning, just stunning.

Breathe, Javier. Breathe, Javier because you've done the program of your life.

You were good last year, but you're on a different level now. Incredible.

4x European champion. World champion. Defending champion. He needs 196 points to go into the lead.

His highest score in the Grand Prix was 201 and his TES here was 118.

Wow! There you have it! World Champion! He's in first! Javier defends his title! With his personal best of 314 points.

He scored a 201 before and now has a personal best of 216.

Anything is possible! He made up the 12 point difference between him and Hanyu! Wow!

They said quite a bit more, but they repeat a lot of things when they get excited!

Congrats again Javi! :love:

musicfan80

Medalist
I was happy that Javi won last night, but I was THRILLED with how well he skated and performed!!! He looked so calm and confident on the ice.

Tanka

On the Ice
Would someone be willing to translate what the Russian and Spanish commentators said during Javier's free skate please? :)

Russain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLt3J9JVOcU

Here I should say that during the short program Tarasova had listed a lot of things she disliked in Javi's skating and I was afraid she would repeat it all during the long. It didn't happen. Actually, not a single element was named, not a single skating term mentioned. :)

In the very beginning while Fernandez is announced Tarasova continues talking about Kolyada.

Grishin: Two of the remaining skaters have won WCs, Javier is the reigning champion and Patrick Chan is three-time world champion. There's Shoma Uno as well. But let's begin with Fernandes.
Tarasona: I turn off (the microphone).
Grishin: And the braces (for trousers) which Javier uses as props. (They had talked about the braces earlier, that no props are allowed but Javier uses his braces in the program.)
Grishin: One more person to do three quads.
(At the very end)
Tarasova: The previous year champion is on ice. And this year's as well, very likely.
Grishin: Very likely. When Javi is in this shape he can hardly been competed with.
Tarasova: Standing (ovation), to their and to alien (skaters). What a pleasure! Be with us, we have a beautiful beauty here.
Grishin: We have fun here.
Tarasova: Cool championship.
Grishin: Already cool. Fantastic, just fantastic. Go Javi 2, we've just seen.
Whatever the Americans skated well, but what Brian Orser is doing with his group is just unbeatable. And if somebody would beat they are the same skaters, one better than the other, and the other is even better.
Tarasova: Just a swallow. (It's a complement is Russia, usually for elegance.) And everything seems so easy. Op, he folded his arms and - a quad. Op, he folded his arms and - a triple.
Grishin: Just needs to fold arms in a right way.
Tarasova: Op, his head and... (unfinished phrase) Just a swallow! The guy didn't want to give away his champion title. Well done!

Then Tarasova talks about herself until the marks are on.

Grishin: The second best in the history! And Fernandes has the gold medal for himself 100%. No way Chan (can do anything).
Tarasova: Katya fell near me, Gordeeva, because of delight. I'm delighted as well. There're the guys like this one in Europe.
Grishin: This is unexplainable.
(Bowing Yuzuru and Boyang are on screen.)
Tarasova: The boys are great!
Grishin: Being able to have fun like this is a great deal.

--

Honestly, I don't like Tarasova as a commentator, she talks a lot but mostly about nothing. Sometimes she comments on elements, levels, positions but these moment are very rare, for the most part it's like 'great guy' or 'I don't like this program' going on and on.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

melmel

On the Ice
Some pictures of Javi I found this week:

Celebrating with his family
Handsome in sunglasses
With Maia, Alex and Yuzu
Miki sending her congratulations (even though she was obviously there :biggrin: )
Small medal ceremony (what are they doing? :laugh: )
Interview after FS
With Meryl

Once again, congratulations Javi. I hope he recovers well from his injury and has time to rest back home before heading for the ice shows and preparing next season's programs :esy:

That small medal ceremony is so funny XD Now I get what Tracy Wilson says when these two have fun XD. The cricket club must be some quite joyful place :3

And his pictures with his family and Miki are so adorable. He's such a sunshine made human :luv17:

Seruleane

Final Flight
omg, Javier and Miki together are SO CUTE.:love: I can't decide who is luckier, him or Miki. They seem like absolutely lovely people, and I hope they stay together :)

Raomina

On the Ice
Hi! I've uploaded my fancam of Javier's free skate but it was blocked on Youtube for copyright reasons, so I have to make it unlisted to keep the audio in. It can't be found from the search, so I thought I should post the direct link here in case anyone wants to see it! It really was a great skate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uemSlj-tma0

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Hi! I've uploaded my fancam of Javier's free skate but it was blocked on Youtube for copyright reasons, so I have to make it unlisted to keep the audio in. It can't be found from the search, so I thought I should post the direct link here in case anyone wants to see it! It really was a great skate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uemSlj-tma0

Wow! I love fancams because it gives you a better sense of the speed of the skaters and how great his air position is. You were so lucky to see such a great skate live! :yahoo:

melmel

On the Ice

Thank you ! :D The speed of rotations looks incredible from this angle *_*

Raomina

On the Ice
I know! I'm always searching for them, so I thought I should give back and take some videos too. :laugh:

rosacotton

Final Flight

Thank you so much for sharing this! Something that I don't think came across as clear in the TV broadcast was how often the crowd clapped along to Javi's music. In your fancam I could really sense how the audience got more and more into his performance. But the best part was being able to see (tiny) Brian Orser reacting to Javi's skate on the very far right side of the screen. :biggrin:

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Exciting! The famous actor can appreciate the beauty of the sport and champion. I hope Spanish people get in love with figure skating more with Javi's achievement.

I did a quick search to see if Real Madrid (is that his favorite club?) or Rafael Nadal have done a shout out to their fellow Spaniard. Sigh.

noskates

Record Breaker
Javi was electric! I've been reading other posts in other threads and I think unless you were actually in the building watching Javi skate you couldn't get the full measure of how wonderful he was. Every move was perfect. I could watch this man skate all day. Can hardly wait to see what programs he comes up with next year. It also didn't go unnoticed that he skated to Danny Boy in the exhibition in a town that is known for it's Irish population. Good on you Javi!