Thread: Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

Hybrid View

Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

Sandhu, the former Olympian and three-time Canadian men's figure skating champion, hasn't competed on the ice in nearly four years. However, he still demands an audience. He had one here at the Skate Canada Challenge, which wrapped up Sunday.

Read more:

Sandhu was always an utterly unique talent. I suppose it's wishful thinking to imagine that he could be a factor for the Nationals podium, but it will be cool to see him performing again.

Custom Title
    I always loved his skating. He did have at least one quad jump, and he was so musically expressive. Now if he's just managed to defeat his nerves....

Custom Title
    I think this should be "warm" on the comeback trail but the fact that this time he actually skated - kudos to him. Still he probably should have started earlier but to get a skating routine together in a week or so not bad not bad at all. I wonder if he has a coach - hopefully not Joanne McLeod. She seems to be the kiss of death.

Custom Title
    These comebacks are getting darn ridiculous. What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!

Custom Title
    He does not have a coach now. I wonder if he will get one to prepare for nationals. Actually, from an article I read I think he probably doesn't have the funds for one.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!
    Given that Miki couldn't even get a coach to make her comeback this season, I doubt Fumie could get one, much less enough funds to get one. I don't see the federation backing her in any way, shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    These comebacks are getting darn ridiculous. What will be next, Fumie Suguri making another comeback. It would be one thing if the skaters were doing it just for the love of the sport and setting realistic goals in all cases, but then you read Johnny Weir claiming he has a great shot at next years Olympic team, LOL!
    Did you read what Sandhu had to say? It doesn't sound like he has any unrealistic expectations:
    I just really missed being on the ice and competing and preparing for competitions... I think my last performance was in 2007 or 2008 and I was absolutely miserable then. I was not liking it at all. I was putting way too much pressure on myself. That was just not the way I intended to leave the sport.
    It was really coming back in for the purest of reasons because I love to skate. Even if I do a somersault out of my jump by accident, I'm going to get up with a smile on my face and carry on. That's how I want to leave the sport... No matter what happens, I just want to leave with a positive feeling in my heart.
    It's ridiculous to complain about skaters who want to compete. So long as they are able to do so, why not? Sandhu qualified easily for Nationals, I don't see how anyone can claim he doesn't belong there.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 12-12-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Custom Title

Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

In this video Doris previously posted in another thread, showing a 10 year old Kevin Reynolds, the commentary states Emanuel was Kevin's idol. If I am not mistaken, didn't Emanuel retire from competition just before Kevin moved into seniors? Now they will get to compete against each other at Canadian Nationals.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIAjpba3aRU
    Last edited by rvi5; 12-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Medalist
    Sandhu's cocky as heck, but it is what is displayed on the ice that counts, and when he was having a good day, he could be pretty impressive. That having been said, I'd prefer a Buttle comeback to this.

Custom Title
    Buttle left the way he wanted to - having put it all together at Worlds and delivering two strong skates. As much as I'd like to see him, he's clearly happy doing shows, "professional" competitions and choreography. Sandhu was all but forced out (Skate Canada didn't even bother submitting his name for the 2007/2008 GP season despite coming in 3rd at Nationals. The skaters that came 4th, 5th and 7th all had GP events. That effectively retired him) so he's coming back for some personal closure, imo.

I quite like Rogozine and hope that he improves, btb.

Custom Title
    Buttle should have stayed in 2 more seasons. If Evan could win 09 Worlds and 2010 Olympics without a quad a clean Buttle would have been a lock to win both events. I agree the CSA retired Sandhu in summer 2007 which IMO was a good move. He was clearly going downhill at that point. Maybe he is just coming back to leave the sport the way he wants which I am all for if that is the case. I just hope he doesnt convince himself of fantasies of things like challenging Chan or being on the podium at Worlds at this point. Having high goals which are somewhat realistic or even a bit of a strech for your are one thing (which for Sandhu might be making a World team again given Canadas weak mens field currently, or a less ambitious one maybe top 5 at Canadians), but setting completely unattainable dream like ones are sure ways to set yourself up for certain dissapointment and certain failure. Fumie Suguri is an example of one with fantasies, she cant even make it out of regionals in Japan and she is talking about making Japans Olympic team for Sochi. Less than a year before the 2010 Olympics in an interview she mentioned seeing Yu NA Kim as her main competition for the 2010 Olympic Gold.

Custom Title
    I think Buttle got out while he could - on top! I don't think he would have had the same success had he stayed in. He had the skate of his life .....best to leave it at that like so many others have. The moon was in the seventh house and all the planets were aligned!