Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'd rather watch Sandhu skate than Reynolds or Rogozine.
    ITA and it isn't proper or nice but for some reason I find Reynolds look very unaesthetically pleasing and at times disturbing. He looks kind of like Pippy Longstocking whose hair went through a blender. On the other hand he might be perfect for the new Pippi longstocking story on ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'd rather watch Sandhu skate than Reynolds or Rogozine.
    Me too, in an instant!

Skater Boy, I too wonder about what the skaters do who devoted not just their teenage years but their twenties to skating. They put off their schooling, and they probably used all their savings for training fees and so forth, without having any source of income during these years. It can't be easy to give up their quest for the top step on the podium, and then to shift gears to another way of life. I imagine it's even harder in a structured society like Japan, where people's career paths are set at an early age.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Me too, in an instant!
    Me too.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Me three.

Custom Title
    No matter how he does at Canadians, he still has the hurdle of establishing minimum fs and sp scores at an international event.

Custom Title
    True but look at the score Buttle is getting with no quad and a limited 3A. I don't think he realistically is going for world's - yet. He would need to really train and get a coach and program would help too.

Custom Title
    Buttle is coming back too?

Custom Title
    Hi Icey, no I don't think Buttle has said anything about coming back but that would be awesome if he did. I think Buttle and Rochette, both Canadians interesting, are a little more honest about the nerves of competing andhow really in all honesty that is the bad part - winning medals and skating nice but the pressure of winning and competing. You hear spins on how it is awesome to go head to head, compete etc. but remember there is game face and then there is the truth. Evan is a great competitior as was Witt but who knows deep down they may have been worried ie that Debi Thomas would land all her jumps or that Lambiel or Buttle or Plushy would beat Evan. We all know there is game face we see it all the time (trash talk) but deep down who knows how secure the skater is. But Buttle is a fine example of someone who's skating reall is still top notch - he still has the 3A and the amazing blade and edges.

On the Ice
    I found this video:

http://youtu.be/Ylq7Kvs4lgg

A little rough around the edges, but you can see the potential. Good luck To Emanuel - hope he finds a coach!

Jeff is still eligible right? He should consider coming back for the Olympic team event. PChan will be more than happy to have someone ease the burden off of him. He'll be exhausted to skate both SP and LP and then do his individual. Canada will have a medal for sure too.

This is a good deal Jeff!! Do it!!!

Banned
    Sandhu's too rusty now, the Boring Buttle would do far better than him if he competed again

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    ITA and it isn't proper or nice but for some reason I find Reynolds look very unaesthetically pleasing and at times disturbing. He looks kind of like Pippy Longstocking whose hair went through a blender. On the other hand he might be perfect for the new Pippi longstocking story on ice.
    Oh Skaterboy - you made me laugh outloud. Pippy Longstocking! So descriptive.

As for Sandhu, he was always one of those skaters with SO much promise but he never seemed to be able to string 2 skates together. Beautiful to watch on the ice and his programs were always, always interesting. I don't know if he can come back and be competitive but he'll surely liven up any competition he skates in.

Custom Title

Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

In this video Doris previously posted in another thread, showing a 10 year old Kevin Reynolds, the commentary states Emanuel was Kevin's idol. If I am not mistaken, didn't Emanuel retire from competition just before Kevin moved into seniors? Now they will get to compete against each other at Canadian Nationals.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIAjpba3aRU
    Last edited by rvi5; 12-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Medalist
    Sandhu's cocky as heck, but it is what is displayed on the ice that counts, and when he was having a good day, he could be pretty impressive. That having been said, I'd prefer a Buttle comeback to this.

Custom Title
    Buttle left the way he wanted to - having put it all together at Worlds and delivering two strong skates. As much as I'd like to see him, he's clearly happy doing shows, "professional" competitions and choreography. Sandhu was all but forced out (Skate Canada didn't even bother submitting his name for the 2007/2008 GP season despite coming in 3rd at Nationals. The skaters that came 4th, 5th and 7th all had GP events. That effectively retired him) so he's coming back for some personal closure, imo.

I quite like Rogozine and hope that he improves, btb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast